RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Graf on the hot seat?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:04 am    ::: Graf on the hot seat? Reply Reply with quote

What will the Merc's record have to be before we start speculating as to her job security?

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:16 am    ::: Re: Graf on the hot seat? Reply Reply with quote

Kamila hasn't played yet.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:27 am    ::: Re: Graf on the hot seat? Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine Kamila having THAT much of an impact. Since when has a player who has never been an All-Star and has a career average of 8.2 points and 4.5 rebounds turned around a team?

I will be very surprised to see Phoenix get to the play-offs with the current line-up.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Graffie's in trouble...

And KV will make a difference on this team. It is so obvious that the Mercury are incredibly difficient on the inside. For Burse to burn them like that, just highlights the need for a presence in the paint. Makes little Tuvic look pretty good right now, too...at least they won some games with her in there.

I still maintain that we have not even see the "real" Mercury team for 2005 yet. The Comets will probably get the first good look at them tomorrow, so I will be better able to comment after seeing their full line up.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think expectations to be in the league elite were too high. That said, I'm not convinced this isn't a 500 or better team still, and it's too early to consider major renovations.

If this continues, then end of year evaluation of the coach IMO is warranted. They improved so fast last year, I think many expected it to continue. But it's much easier to get from Point A to Point B than it is from Point B to Point C.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stats aren't a whole story, but Vodi's stats compare to Tamika Whitmore's and are worse than Chas Melvin. Just food for thought.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Graf is in trouble either.

However, I'm not sure the Merc will make the playoffs. I know it's early, but Houston and Sac look really good and last night Seattle looked like the defending champs they are.
Phoenix should be competing with LA for the 4th spot.

PennyTfan1

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

And KV will make a difference on this team. It is so obvious that the Mercury are incredibly difficient on the inside. For Burse to burn them like that, just highlights the need for a presence in the paint. Makes little Tuvic look pretty good right now, too...at least they won some games with her in there.

I still maintain that we have not even see the "real" Mercury team for 2005 yet. The Comets will probably get the first good look at them tomorrow, so I will be better able to comment after seeing their full line up.

I think the Comets will be in decent shape even though Phoenix will finally have their full lineup.

There will still be some chemistry issues to work out. KV's first practice with the team will be today and unlike Penny coming back to teammates she has played with previously, it will be the first time that anybody on the Merc has shared the court with KV (to the best of my knowledge). I think it will take 5 or 6 practice sessions, starting today, for everyone to find their way to the same page and be comfortable with each other. At that point, there should be a much improved product on the floor and if there isn't, that MIGHT be the time to Question the job Graffie is doing.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is what I thought the West would look like last year, well save for the Comets. I knew they would have a difficult time last year, especially with the OG break. San Antonio's unravelling was the only thing that kept Houston out of the cellar at the end of the day.

I think Phoenix has the goods, but like you say, a couple of teams have come out of the gate quickly, so it is hard to tell. And Minnesota is not a bad team at all, if you haven't seen them yet. The West could well end up a horse race for the four playoff spots with only a half a game between any of them. Better get those tie-breaker rules out and might need to invent some new ones.

I don't know about anybody else, but I think it is good for the league to have the standings so tight...provided the teams are playing good, competitive basketball that fans will pay to see. If the standings are all clumped up because of mediocrity all around, then that is another issue...don't want that kind of situation.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know about anybody else, but I think it is good for the league to have the standings so tight...provided the teams are playing good, competitive basketball that fans will pay to see. If the standings are all clumped up because of mediocrity all around, then that is another issue...don't want that kind of situation.

Last year we called it "The East" ! Laughing

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Last year we called it "The East" ! :lol:

Exactly, d...what happened in the East is what I expected to have happened in the West last year. I thought things would shuffle out in the East last year, especially with the way New York came out of the gates in the first six games...they were unstoppable, but injuries and the coaching change took a toll. For me, it makes every game important to a team's position in the standings, so you can't even blink or your team could be out of the running. Stay tuned...don't touch that dial!!

boogiezen

PostPosted: 06/03/05 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

However, I'm not sure the Merc will make the playoffs. I know it's early, but Houston and Sac look really good and last night Seattle looked like the defending champs they are.

Phoenix and LA for the 4th spot?? that's funny...i still think LA is the team to beat! but anyway...GO STORM!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
pilight

PostPosted: 06/03/05 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Not right this second. But a team that finished .500 last year, got a lottery pick, and made a good sized FA signing is expecting to move up into playoff contention. Phoenix has had a pretty quick trigger on coaches since Cheryl Miller left, and Graf's record now is almost identical to Cynthia Cooper's when she was axed (19-23 vs 18-21). If the Merc continue to stumble along, I won't be that surprised to see her go.

PostPosted: 06/03/05 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Phoenix and LA for the 4th spot?? that's funny...i still think LA is the team to beat! but anyway...GO STORM!

Except for Betty, I can't stand the Storm, but I can't deny what I saw in the box score last night. A SOLID performance by Seattle.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 06/03/05 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight...I am just curious of your assessment of Graf's skills as a coach, first, and then as a motivator of players. I am not sure I have ever read your take on her coaching style, especially regarding the X's and O's.

I sit at your feet...please pontificate. And I agree that the CCooper comparison is a good barometer in this situation. However, I have to think by Carrie adding Timmsy to the coaching staff this year, she has gained a lot of traction from the folks in the stands...Cooper probably never got a chance to gain the fans hearts in such a way, especially coming from the much hated Houston Comets.

Great discussion...

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

No doubt... Exclamation LA will probably get the #1 spot too...

But PHO has @Hou, @SAC, @LA next... They're likely to be 1-7 by the end of that road trip... then people might start talking about Graf's job security... Shocked

pilight

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen enough games to get a good feel for her X&O abilities or tendencies, and most of the ones I have seen have been without a credible offensive post so they may not be representative. From what I have seen, she's pretty conventional.

As far as motivating players, have there been any players that have exceeded expectations while she's been in Phoenix? Taurasi has been great, but no more so than people thought she would be and much less than some expected. The only difference between DeForge 2003 and 2004 is that she played more minutes and took more shots. Her FG% was virtually identical and her 3P% was down. Penny Taylor's FG% was up, but ppg was no better than 2002, her rebounds were down, and her TOs and PFs were up. Graf hasn't gotten any extraordinary performances from any individual players or from the team as a whole, which makes it hard to say that she's anything special as a motivator.

PostPosted: 06/03/05 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, Pilight...great response with facts to back up your points.

So, if we really haven't seen Graf enough to determine her ability to apply her basketball IQ, nor seen her in a situation of having to bring a team together, it seems to me that we don't really know her full potential. I do not mean to put words in your mouth...and if you feel I have, please accept my appologies.

It seems to me that until we see a team under Graf's administration face some of the adversity and crises that can befall any team at any time, perhaps the jury is still out on her exit from the Mercury HC position or any other in the W. Some would say that the team has faced adversity with the start of this season, but leadership seems to be "waiting" around for all the pieces to arrive. I have to agree with some, that if the long awaited pieces "don't fit", questions will be justifiable at that time. The talent is there, no one can deny.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/03/05 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen Graf enough to know about her game IQ, the Merc brass and fans should have by now.

Of course her game sense is beside the point. Coaches get fired for wins and losses more than anything else. If the Merc don't start winning, she's going to be gone sooner or later.

Which brings us back to the original question. At what point is she in trouble?

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CAM's silence on this thread is deafening

Slovydal

PostPosted: 06/03/05 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:

LOL!

Nice comeback tonight, SFO. It looks like the Shock won't lose a game until they get to Indiana...

mb

PostPosted: 06/04/05 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The next three games are gonna be extremely tough.

It could be a 1-7 start, yet I have to believe we will steal at least one.

It would be really nice to return to .500, prior to San Antonio at home.

My guess would be that even at 1-7, both Seth and Graffy's jobs are still likely to be secure. The ground made up climbing out of the hole during the July and August homestands would more likely be the barometer.

SFO, nice of you to call out Cam...yet how about offering your assessments on Graf, yourself, and others to this point?

The Mercury are #1 in my heart, Seattle #2, yet Detroit will always be a favorite in the East for defeating the evil empire of LA.

May the East teams punish those ahead of PHX on the West ladder.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 06/04/05 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/04/05 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SFO wrote:

I have no problem with her Xs and Os. She cannot magically turn Plenette into a good defender. I just don't agree with not playing Irvin against Seattle.

SFO...your silence re my comments regarding your drafting and player personnel decisiosn in 2004 and 2005 was deafening. Smile

Oh, Admiral, still playing the innocent card?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 06/04/05 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And SFO, it is nice you care so much. I missed you, too. Now, maybe you, Seth, and I can sit down with another calendar and talk about who looks the best.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: