RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

EDD's final 5 college choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddychoc

PostPosted: 12/12/06 7:01 am    ::: EDD's final 5 college choices Reply Reply with quote

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/women/hc-ucwomen1212.artdec12,0,6181378.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports

Last edited by Daddychoc on 12/12/06 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 12/12/06 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine her at Villanova.

PostPosted: 12/12/06 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She will make her choice come spring, the finals are in the early part of spring.

Could be based on how well these teams favor in the big dance.

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/12/06 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, if she doesn't go to Uconn, I hope she goes to Villanova. He's a good coach, it would be interesting to see what he did with a great player.

PostPosted: 12/12/06 10:39 am    ::: Glad to see the Terps... Reply Reply with quote

...are in her final five. Keeping my fingers crossed.

PostPosted: 12/12/06 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will also depend on who can guarantee her time at the 3 position. Of the five teams, here's who is stacked up at the post in 2008:

Tennessee: Parker (if she is still around), Moates, Cain, Baugh, and Fuller. Some solid depth there.

Maryland: Mingo and Wallace (should she ever show up). May pull in Shegog and another big in 2008 but will they be experienced enough to guarantee Elena a spot at the three? Freese has some work to do.

Villanova: Kurz, Elliot, Karcic, Scanlon some depth but are they solid.

UCONN: McLaren, Charles, Moore, Kerns, Phillips. Solid depth (even though I'll be surprised if Kerns and Phillips are still in Storrs by this time).

Duke: K. Thomas, Cheek, Gay. Not as much depth as Tennessee or UCONN.

As noted in the article, there are several factors effecting Elena's decision but she has made it no secret that she wants to play the perimeter swing position.

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 12/12/06 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see EDD as more of a 2/3...not a 3/4. She has such a great perimeter game...I can't really see her banging in the post. I mean, not to say that she 'can't,' just that she would be a matchup nightmare on the perimeter, being 6'4" or 6'5".

Tennessee:

2: Angie Bjorklund & Sydney Smallbone
3: Vicki Baugh & Alicia Manning
4: Nicci Moats and Alex Fuller (maybe)

UConn:

2: Eh...Jacquie Fernandes?
3: Maya Moore (can move to the 4), Kalana Greene, Meghan Gardler, Tahirah Williams
4: Tina Charles (she'll probably be our '5' that year) Kaili McLaren and Cassie Kerns

Duke:

2: Abby Waner, Shay Selby
3: Keturah Jackson, Bridgette Mitchell, Brittany Mitch
4: K. Thomas, C. Gay, J. Cheek

Maryland:

2: Marah Strickland, Kim Rodgers, Katheryn Lyons
3: Marissa Coleman
4: Drey Mingo, Emery Wallace

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/12/06 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even better breakdown, BBallFanCT Smile

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 12/12/06 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Villanova is to EDD what DePaul was to CP3--close, and if she chose 'Nova, she'd put a spotlight on the program for as long as she's there. This year will be a long one for 'Nova as we're starting a whole new backcourt and are tiny in the post (5'11"-6'0" PFs do not scare anyone--unless you play like larkins). That said, if she chose 'Nova, Peretta would no doubt find a way to structure his whole 3 pt. heavy offense around getting her shots---no doubt making her his "Pennefather" type player (hopefully sans that cloistered nun aspect).

I think UCONN might also suit her, since her and Maya Moore could conceivably switch offense and defensive assignments. EDD wants to play at the perimeter and would be a matchup nightmare, but she would also be guarding smaller and quicker players than herself. Having a swing-do everything-guard-everything player like Moore, would make it easier to fit the 6'5" EDD into system.

being a big east homer, I haven't seen enough of TN, MD and Duke to know how they look this year, but from what people are saying:

TN-Baugh who is a freaky athlete is said to re-define the 3 position. I would think that Baugh would be EDD's direct competition for that slot.

MD- They have a bevy of guards coming in that will speed things up, and Mingo who is a tantilizing prospect in the post. Having EDD playing the wing guard alongside Coleman could be a great way to blend those two components.

Duke- Haven't they been on her list since the very beginning? GG let Tillis (probably a poor man's EDD) roam the wings and trail on the break, and got her to be an All American candidate. I would think that knowing that GG can cultivate that kind of talent would factor into making a choice.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 12/12/06 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Maryland: Mingo and Wallace (should she ever show up). May pull in Shegog and another big in 2008 but will they be experienced enough to guarantee Elena a spot at the three? Freese has some work to do.

It's spelled Frese. Is it that hard to know how to spell the last name of the coach of the national champions?

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/12/06 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

It's spelled Frese. Is it that hard to know how to spell the last name of the coach of the national champions?

Don't worry Joey, people get Auriemma wrong all time too. Maybe when Frese wins as many as Geno, they'll get it right! Wink

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/12/06 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

It's really easy if you practice using it in sentences. Try something like this:

There continue to be persistent and far-reaching rumors that Frese uses unethical and blantantly in-violation recruiting tactics.

Frese apparently does not believe in scheduling non-cupcake teams for her teams to play-out-of-conference. One might presume that Frese does not want to face challenges.

Frese showed true colors in saying unnecessarily hurtful things about her players and the university when she left Minnesota.

One national championship puts Frese in the category of many coaches who are roundly considered to be the best in the country. These include coaching geniuses such as Carolyn Peck and Sylvia Hatchell.

Try some on your own. It helps learn to spell her name correctly.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/12/06 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Practice, practice...

Brenda Frreeeeze..no, not right

Brenda Freeze...no

Brenda Frees...shoot

Brenda Frese. Yeah

OK, now

Geno Oral Enema.....

ripleydc

PostPosted: 12/12/06 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

...not to be confused with a Brenda Freeze---a strawberry slushy drink they sell at the concessions in Comcast.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 12/12/06 2:39 pm    ::: now Reply Reply with quote

back to EDD, geesh!

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/12/06 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! I've never heard of EDD. She sounds amazing. Personally, I would root for Duke cuz I want GG to win a national title.

Uconn has had their fair share of top players go to them in the last year. I think someone else should get a shot. Wink Wink

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/12/06 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I strongly suspect that EDD has made her decision, and that it was made with the thoughtful participation of her entire family.

I don't know anything, of course, but somehow I doubt Villanova or Tennessee. Her father is an Ivy Leaguer. I think Duke would lead for academic reasons, Maryland would lead for closeness to home reasons, and UConn might lead for basketball fit reasons.

Haha, the old numerology debate. I don't see her primarily in the post. I think her most singular basketball attribute is shooting ability. Shooting, especially at her height, is what separates her from the pack.

UConn is the team that most needs shooting of the five schools. There is no quality player on UConn's roster that year, with the possible exception of incoming freshman Caroline Doty, who is a good much less a crack outside shooter. Unless she's hype, EDD would start from game 1 along with Renee Montgomery, Tina Charles, Maya Moore, and someone else.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 12/12/06 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It's really easy if you practice using it in sentences. Try something like this:

There continue to be persistent and far-reaching rumors that Frese uses unethical and blantantly in-violation recruiting tactics.

Should a Purdue fan really be making fun of another team's alleged recruiting violations? I think Purdue is in more hot water with the NCAA these days than the Terps.

Also, didn't your coach jump ship for greener pastures?

Brenda never bashed the players, she blamed the department. She felt that they weren't giving her the support she was going to need to win a title and the fact that the NCAA was sniffing around thanks to Haskins and Littlejon.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/12/06 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
Quote:

Should a Purdue fan really be making fun of another team's alleged recruiting violations? I think Purdue is in more hot water with the NCAA these days than the Terps.

Also, didn't your coach jump ship for greener pastures?

Brenda never bashed the players, she blamed the department. She felt that they weren't giving her the support she was going to need to win a title and the fact that the NCAA was sniffing around thanks to Haskins and Littlejon.

It has been hashed and rehashed over and over again, but yes she did bash the players. She said she would never be able to recruit the players necessary to go the Final Four. How is that not bashing them? BTW, those players went to the Final Four the next year.

Purdue cleaned house of anyone affiliated with any allegations of violations. The athletic department even took a harder line that the university, removing George from the team while the university allowed her to stay with no punishment. They found that no wrong-doing had taken place. I am proud that Purdue took such a hard line, even though the minor things are nothing compared to what has been said about Maryland. Less than nothing.

If you think Curry jumped ship for better pastures, you are very clueless indeed.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/12/06 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

let's hope she doesn't fall for that gail or (pat) bullshit.

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 12/13/06 12:03 am    ::: hey EDD Reply Reply with quote

How many FT's in a row have you so far this season?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/13/06 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't want her at uconn. i like the less-than-capacity crowds.

also, tonycop would be even more (if possible) intolerable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: