RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches poll out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/12/06 4:08 pm    ::: Coaches poll out Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wbca.org/DICoachesPoll.asp

Maryland still #1

Baylor in the top 10

Marquette in, Rutgers out

PostPosted: 12/12/06 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My top 7, based mainly on complex mathematical algorithms in my small intestine:

1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. UConn
4. Duke
5. Tennessee
6. Oklahoma
7. Stanford

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/12/06 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
My top 7, based mainly on complex mathematical algorithms in my small intestine:

1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. UConn
4. Duke
5. Tennessee
6. Oklahoma
7. Stanford

Stanford? Really?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/12/06 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel that Stanford, substantively, is closer to the Elite 8 (and almost FF) team we saw last year than the early season stumbler we are now discounting. Most of their substance is still there, Brooke Smith is my favorite senior, and I am impressed by the young Appel.

I'm assuming some guard(s) can step up and become better ballhandlers and 3pt shooters than what we saw, for example, against Tennessee.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/12/06 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I feel that Stanford, substantively, is closer to the Elite 8 (and almost FF) team we saw last year than the early season stumbler we are now discounting. Most of their substance is still there, Brooke Smith is my favorite senior, and I am impressed by the young Appel.

I'm assuming some guard(s) can step up and become better ballhandlers and 3pt shooters than what we saw, for example, against Tennessee.

Ok. So hunches and personal liking, not anything substantive that is actually happening in games.

I can live with that.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 12/12/06 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ballhandlers, maybe, but which guards are going to improve their three-point shooting between now and the end of February, and why do you think so? Is three-point shooting the kind of skill that individual players can drastically improve over the course of a college season? (I recognize that they can improve over the offseason.)

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/12/06 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a single first-place vote for Duke? Do coaches not keep up with the games or at least take a peak at a box score (or three)? Shocked

Mathies to LA 2013
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/12/06 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My hunches and personal likings are always informed by what happens in games—to the extent I can figure that out. But I don't give a lot of weight to rigid things like SOS or RPI formulations, at least not at this time of the year. To that extent, my list is purely subjective and hunchy.

I don't think outside shooting ability can be improved much after age 18 or so. Significant improvements occasionally happen, but I would say they are statistically rare. It requires a permanent change to shooting mechanics that, by 18, are already long-developed and habitual.

Shooting is somewhat of a lost art. In my opinion, a significant cause of this is the corrosive mechanical effects of the irresistible 3pt shot on 8-12 year old musculoskelature. Knowing how to teach proper shooting mechanics is also rare skill, even among top coaches and programs.

Sorry, that's one of my favorite rant topics in favor of pre-1936 basketball.

In Wiggins, Stanford has a very good 3pt shooter. Top teams really should have at least two outside threats in order to play the kind of 1936 paint game I advocate, and that I believe TVV wants to play. She usually has had the luxury of multiple 3pt artists.

This year, I don't know where Stanford's 2nd outside threat is. I am ignorant as to the fundamental shooting skills of their young guards and forwards. They could all be poor shooters or some could be decent shooters on bad streaks, for all I personally know at present. But Stanford’s ultimate success may depend on their getting a second 3pt threat from their young guards or from Ros Gold when she returns.

Basically, I just feel hunchy that Stanford is being discounted far too much. Just as I feel hunchy that UConn's dearth of 3pt shooting will not hurt them as much as I would almost always otherwise argue.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/12/06 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Not a single first-place vote for Duke? Do coaches not keep up with the games or at least take a peak at a box score (or three)? Shocked

I think despite Duke's marvelously balanced play, they're not going to get 1st place votes until they beat North Carolina or Maryland.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/12/06 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ballhandlers, maybe, but which guards are going to improve their three-point shooting between now and the end of February, and why do you think so? Is three-point shooting the kind of skill that individual players can drastically improve over the course of a college season? (I recognize that they can improve over the offseason.)

Stanford has some freshmen guards that will get stronger as the season progresses. As to being 3-pt threats, who knows, but they need someone other than Candice Wiggins. Another Krista Rappahahn would be great. But Tara Vanderveer has always had great outside shooters. I have no doubt that one of those freshmen she has on her roster now has a touch.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 12/12/06 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You probably haven't seen Michelle Harrison play, plus JJ Hones is improving. We also may get Ros Gold Onwude back in Jan. We aren't the same 3 pt shooting team as last yr with losing Rapp and Ros, but we added Jayne, Michelle, JJ, and Melanie Murphy.

Tara is very good at developing players so I wouldn't write them off so early. She says they're a cake in the oven. I wouldn't bet against them in March, especially since we host first 2 rounds and have a good shot at Fresno if we win the Pac 10.

Also, Jillian Harmon is playing great, She doensn't have a 3, but she a very good pull up mid range jumper off the dribble- not to mention her great D.

So, let me ask this, would people been so down on Stanford had they made 2 friggin FTs at GA and won?

Richard 77

PostPosted: 12/12/06 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

I'm inclined to believe the coaches know what they're doing when voting. So do many posters here.

More so than the media at least...

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
zsasu

PostPosted: 12/12/06 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
accommodatingly wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You probably haven't seen Michelle Harrison play, plus JJ Hones is improving. We also may get Ros Gold Onwude back in Jan. We aren't the same 3 pt shooting team as last yr with losing Rapp and Ros, but we added Jayne, Michelle, JJ, and Melanie Murphy.

Tara is very good at developing players so I wouldn't write them off so early. She says they're a cake in the oven. I wouldn't bet against them in March, especially since we host first 2 rounds and have a good shot at Fresno if we win the Pac 10.

Also, Jillian Harmon is playing great, She doensn't have a 3, but she a very good pull up mid range jumper off the dribble- not to mention her great D.

So, let me ask this, would people been so down on Stanford had they made 2 friggin FTs at GA and won?

If I remember correctly Stanford shot a dismal 3-12 from the FT line with Wiggins making the only 3 FT's so it seems to me that it is a stretch to say if Stanford would have made 2 friggin FT's at GA they would have won, it's highly unlikely!!!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/12/06 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

I'm inclined to believe the coaches know what they're doing when voting. So do many posters here.

I am not. The coaches don't have the time to pay much attention to teams they aren't preparing for. Why would they bother?

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 12/13/06 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
shyguy1701 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

I am not. The coaches don't have the time to pay much attention to teams they aren't preparing for. Why would they bother?

did you watch the game? Harmon had a 1 and 1 in the last minute with us down by one. One would have tied it, but she missed the front end. Then, JJ Hones had a double bonus with us still down by 1, she missed both of them.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/13/06 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
shyguy1701 wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

did you watch the game? Harmon had a 1 and 1 in the last minute with us down by one. One would have tied it, but she missed the front end. Then, JJ Hones had a double bonus with us still down by 1, she missed both of them.

I wasn't talking about Stanford. I was talking about coaches voting in general.

If I was talking about Stanford, a blowout to Tennessee and a really bad home loss to BYU would have a lot more to do with where they should be ranked than their loss to Georgia, a team I am far from sold on, especially when they don't have Humphries.

And in your scenario, I give no benefit of the doubt to a team that can't amke a single free throw to finish out a game. None at all.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 12/13/06 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my reply about the GA game was the zsasu, not you PUmatty

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/13/06 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

You replied to me. But gotcha ...

zsasu

PostPosted: 12/13/06 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:

I think PUmatty said it best. " I give no benefit of the doubt to a team that can't make a single free throw to finish out a game. None at all." I did watch the game and I'm sure you did too, thru your rose tinted glasses!!!

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/13/06 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched that game and I was so disappointed that Stanford could make it to the line but not close it out. I hope they got a tongue-lashing from Tara because that is not Stanford basketball.

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 12/13/06 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zsasu wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

I think PUmatty said it best. " I give no benefit of the doubt to a team that can't make a single free throw to finish out a game. None at all." I did watch the game and I'm sure you did too, thru your rose tinted glasses!!!

Cardinal glasses. The pt is about rankings. Does Stanford deserve to drop from the top 25 or by that far below GA given the result came to down to the last minute, and IF Stanford would have beaten GA, where would they be?

zsasu

PostPosted: 12/13/06 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopfan24 wrote:
zsasu wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

Cardinal glasses. The pt is about rankings. Does Stanford deserve to drop from the top 25 or by that far below GA given the result came to down to the last minute, and IF Stanford would have beaten GA, where would they be?

"If Stanford would have beaten GA" you're living in a fantasy world, get back to reality, they DIDN'T beat GA, get over it, move on!!!!!!!!!!

hoopfan24

PostPosted: 12/13/06 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zsasu wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:
zsasu wrote:
hoopfan24 wrote:

"If Stanford would have beaten GA" you're living in a fantasy world, get back to reality, they DIDN'T beat GA, get over it, move on!!!!!!!!!!

you're missing the pt, again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: