RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Texas @ Duke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/10/06 1:51 pm    ::: Texas @ Duke Reply Reply with quote

Duke 22 FT attempts and Texas 0, 40-27 Duke at the half.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/10/06 1:52 pm    ::: Re: Texas @ Duke Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
Duke 22 FT attempts and Texas 0, 40-27 Duke at the half.

that's not right is it, Texas has been to the line once?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/10/06 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Horms have been to the line once. Duke has 12 offensive boards and 11 steals so that explains the 'Horns propensity for fouls.

Texas started off 7-0 and it was really with the insertion of Bridgette Mitchell, Em Waner (who had two run out FTs) and Joy Cheek (who is hogging offensive boards) that Duke established control. Wanisha Smith is playing very aggressively.

Cortijo and T. Jackson have 3 fouls for Texas.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/10/06 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I am not watching the game but a team should not shoot 25 free throws in the first half. Seems a little ridiculous, especially since Texas has shot 1.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/10/06 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thus far Duke's guards have been successfully attacking the basket and it sounds like Texas help defense is slow to slide over or getting out of position for the offensive boads.

deanjet

PostPosted: 12/10/06 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke looked impressive. This is the first game I've watched them play, and they are extremely tough.

Looking at their schedule, they shouldn't be challenged too much until Maryland visits on the 13th of January.

PostPosted: 12/10/06 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a close game up till about 24-20 Duke. Sad

Once Duke realized they could drive on Texas, that was pretty much it!

I haven't seen much of Tiffany Jackson, can't decide if she reminded me of Sheryl Swoopes or Tari Phillips as the ultimate tornado. Sweet little hook over Bales early.

Bales looks to be slimmer and in much better condition. The announcers mentioned she is not the same player that came in as a freshman. She has tripled her output, and worked hard to get where she is.

Raven, the Longhorn freshman, made a great layup to get past Bales.

Congrats to Duke!

PostPosted: 12/10/06 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like Gail said in her postgame comments, Duke wasn't ready to play this game. That might've had something to do with upcoming exams.

Once the leaders stepped up and began to take charge, the game wasn't in doubt. We also saw a completely different Texas team in each half. In the first half, they looked like a competitive mid-major team. IN the second half, they looked like a middle school team. Tiffany Jackson didn't look like an All-American in either half. In fact, she looks to be no better than she was last season. Not good news for Longhorns fans.

With Duke headed to exam break, I'm thrilled by the offensive and defensive numbers this team has put up against three ranked teams. However, I'll be the first to admit that two of the "ranked teams" we played this week have no business being ranked. The Vanderbilt game gives me enough evidence that this is a very solid team with Final Four potential AS LONG AS we've got the bodies to get the job done.

Mathies to LA 2013
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/10/06 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the bench had lot to with injecting Duke with the shot of energy that they needed in the first half. Emily had 2 layups and even when she bobbled a thrid layup she had the presence of mind to slap the ball out of bounds off a Texas player keeping possession with Duke. Bridgette came in and blocked a TJ shot and just played with hustle. Joy Cheek ate up offensive boards and also had 5 steals. I think this support was huge for a Duke team playing its third game in a week.

needbb

PostPosted: 12/10/06 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault and Patty Coyle were at the game.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/10/06 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

needbb wrote:
Mike Thibault and Patty Coyle were at the game.

Mike was talking to reports about how to make his team better. I think you'd be hard-pressed to improve on Whalen as a guard. But maybe Bales may be up for grabs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: