RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Georgia vs Middle Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 12/09/06 12:54 pm    ::: Re: Congrats to the Blue Raiders... Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
pilight wrote:
There's a team in the top 25 with no wins anywhere close to being as impressive as the ones mentioned above for SDSU and who lost at home to Hofstra.

National championship game appearance in 2005. Sweet 16 in 2006.

For the record, I agree with you. Michigan State isn't close to being a Top 25 team this season. Games against LSU, Maryland, Purdue, and O$U will show us that. I can see them losing to Wisconsin and even Penn State this season. But we all know that it's much harder to crack the Top 25 than it is to drop from it. Voters never like to admit that they were "wrong" about a team (or six).

I think that's right, except that MSU will certainly beat Penn State if the game is in Michigan: look at the team chemistry issues PSU's been having. Wisconsin could be better than anyone thinks (though I was saying that last year, and it wasn't true).

I haven't seen DeHaan play, I know she's quite tall, but I can't imagine that a DeHaan frontline and a Lucas-Perry-led backcourt works as well as the Roehrig/Shimek and guard combo of '05. MSU had just one year of a healthy Haynie, and it was their best year ever: they won't be really good again until they have a ball distributor who was her equal (Bowen was not, as much as I liked her one-on-one).

Stanford has a much better case than MSU for remaining ranked: Hofstra's a worse loss than BYU, Stanford has three superstars still around from last year (though losing their three-point shooters certainly hurt), and Stanford's other two losses just say that they play a tough schedule and aren't top ten.

Speaking of which: what makes Ohio State top ten? They have one road game (against Army), they struggled against Washington, they needed overtime to beat BC (who have since lost to Vermont and St Joe's), and their best win is USC, which doesn't mean as much this year as in years past.

Of course, if OSU beat LSU, I'll eat my words with ketchup.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/09/06 1:57 pm    ::: Re: Congrats to the Blue Raiders... Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
I think that's right, except that MSU will certainly beat Penn State if the game is in Michigan: look at the team chemistry issues PSU's been having. Wisconsin could be better than anyone thinks (though I was saying that last year, and it wasn't true).

They play twice this season, with MSU making the trip to State College first and Penn State going to East Lansing one week later. I don't think MSU wins the game @ Penn State because they haven't shown that they can beat a decent opponent away from home this season. In fact, their only road game was against a VERY, very bad Houston team...and they only won that game by 13. IF (a big IF) the Penn State chemistry problems can work themselves out, the team will be back on track before B10 play but, like you said, they might want to look out for Wisconsin.

Quote:
I haven't seen DeHaan play, I know she's quite tall, but I can't imagine that a DeHaan frontline and a Lucas-Perry-led backcourt works as well as the Roehrig/Shimek and guard combo of '05. MSU had just one year of a healthy Haynie, and it was their best year ever: they won't be really good again until they have a ball distributor who was her equal (Bowen was not, as much as I liked her one-on-one).

I'm with you 100% here...

Quote:
Stanford has a much better case than MSU for remaining ranked: Hofstra's a worse loss than BYU, Stanford has three superstars still around from last year (though losing their three-point shooters certainly hurt), and Stanford's other two losses just say that they play a tough schedule and aren't top ten.

...and here.

Quote:
Speaking of which: what makes Ohio State top ten? They have one road game (against Army), they struggled against Washington, they needed overtime to beat BC (who have since lost to Vermont and St Joe's), and their best win is USC, which doesn't mean as much this year as in years past.

It has a lot to do with Je$$ica Davenport and Jim Fo$ter. I don't know why they're ranked that high except that they've won all those close calls.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: