RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

I got to take my team to UConn Practice Saturday!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/04/06 10:01 am    ::: I got to take my team to UConn Practice Saturday! Reply Reply with quote

Special thanks to the coaches for opening it to the team(s) that were there.

For about a year and a half I've been back and forth with Coach Eisenmann to get the kids in, at an appropriate time. Well, it was this past Saturday. What a blast for everyone (but Geno and the players I guess).

Some comments:
1. No doubt who the leaders are - Charde and Renee. Mel is definitely a by example, but the vocal leaders, the take charge, the on top of players....those Charde and Renee were something to watch.

2. Tina and Kaili are getting "extra help" with their post moves. Really getting pounded on by the guys with those big foam protectors, like a football team would use, while getting wide position. Very interesting to watch.

3. Tina and Charde were paired for foul shooting, right in front of us, with CD watching. She made a foot adjustment to Tina, bang, automatic. No CD, right back to the old footwork! Charde she worked on no hitches in the motion, and she was doing pretty well shooting.

4. The crispness wasn't the best, so at one point Geno made a select group run 5 consecutive half court/full court suicides. Most impressive moment of the day: Kaili was dying, you felt for the kid. After 3, Charde comes over and runs WITH Kaili, beside her the whole way, encouraging her. Even my kids were impressed with that.

5. Renee is a little general in the Rizzotti school of leadership. One drill Phillips wasn't running to get to a line, and Renee grabbed her, gave her a shove and yelled "move it!". You had to laugh at the 5'7 Renee "beating on" the 6'5 Phillips.

6. The comraderie, chatter, and cheering for each other was the most enjoyable part of the practice for me. 6th graders don't think it's cool to cheer for each other, so my team has been very quiet during warmups, drills, and even games. Well, yesterday morning we come out before our game, and my daughter is all over everyone "C'mon xxxxx" "way to go XXXX" and then the others chimed in. It warmed a coach's (and father's) heart.

7. Mel doesn't miss. Nuff said

8. Ketia is too quick for words. Renee is poetry in motion on the break. Charde was inspirational; she was clearly having a bad asthma day, used her inhaler early on, but never stopped giving 150%. Very very impressive.

9. No Brit for most "team drills". Geno said it was just her day to take it easy and do individual drills only. Nothing wrong. I was impressed with her intensity and teammate qualities while she wasn't participating.

10. Geno came over and talked to the kids for a few minutes at the end. My comment at the beginning about fun, was because he asked the kids "Did everyone have fun" which of course they all yelled yes, to which he replied "everyone except the coaches that is. Well, things were going too well, we were due." I commented I had last seen a practice when Dee was there, and he wasn't that laid back, and he said "Yeah, I'm getting soft in my old age."

Will be glad to answer any questions and will check back on the board throughout the day!

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 12/04/06 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome report Smile . I'm glad that you and your team got to experience that.

I'll edit if I can think of a question...which I'm sure I will Wink .

liveitup!

PostPosted: 12/04/06 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like a wonderful day!

(P.S. Best wishes to the family---I miss seeing you all!)

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/04/06 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very, very cool!

wnbafans10

PostPosted: 12/04/06 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG That is sooooo cool!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Atlanta: Please don't take Jamie Carey in the expansion draft!!!!
mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/04/06 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

7. Mel doesn't miss..nuff said

ughh...Dt...I'm totally blaming you for...her bad shooting night Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 12/05/06 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you could have sent the "lilttle one" out there to simulate Diana and make Geno feel young again...she looks like her and has that attitude down too Wink

Did you get any pictures to share?

PostPosted: 12/05/06 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's SUPER awesome!

Go Storm!

"Go smack yourself in the face and see what happens."
dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/05/06 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
you could have sent the "lilttle one" out there to simulate Diana and make Geno feel young again...she looks like her and has that attitude down too Wink

Did you get any pictures to share?

We were asked not to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: