RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If the ACC is the best conference....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the second best conference?
Big East
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Big Ten
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Big 12
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Pac 10
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
SEC
54%
 54%  [ 24 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 44

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/04/06 4:44 pm    ::: If the ACC is the best conference.... Reply Reply with quote

What is the second best conference?

Discuss.

PostPosted: 12/04/06 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not totally convinced that the ACC, head-to-head, with the SEC top to bottom is the best....but that's what everyone is saying. If the ACC is the best, then the SEC is definitely #2.

PostPosted: 12/04/06 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comet_fan_97 wrote:
I'm not totally convinced that the ACC, head-to-head, with the SEC top to bottom is the best....

I am. Anytime the second-best team in the ACC puts a beating on the top-rated SEC team, that's saying something. UNC has taken out two SEC teams (Tennessee and Arkansas) so far this season. Maryland (preseason 1st in ACC) crushed a pretty good Ole Miss (preseason 7th in SEC) team down in the Bahamas over Thanksgiving break. FSU (preseason 5th in ACC) destroyed Florida (preseason 6th in SEC) last month in Tally. NC State (preseason 4th in ACC) took out South Carolina recently. While Clemson (preseason 12th in ACC) did get blown out by Vanderbilt (preseason 4th in SEC) yesterday, the Tigers hung around much longer than they should've given Vandy's ranking. And Georgia Tech (preseason 8th in ACC) was a Tasha Humphrey second-half explosion away from upseting the Lady Bulldogs (preseason 3rd in SEC) in Atlanta.

It is apparent to me that any ACC team can compete with any SEC team. However, the best of the ACC can pick up wins against the best of the SEC. That's what separates the two conferences, IMHO.

Mathies to LA 2013
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/04/06 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
comet_fan_97 wrote:
I'm not totally convinced that the ACC, head-to-head, with the SEC top to bottom is the best....

I am. Anytime the second-best team in the ACC puts a beating on the top-rated SEC team, that's saying something. UNC has taken out two SEC teams (Tennessee and Arkansas) so far this season. Maryland (preseason 1st in ACC) crushed a pretty good Ole Miss (preseason 7th in SEC) team down in the Bahamas over Thanksgiving break. FSU (preseason 5th in ACC) destroyed Florida (preseason 6th in SEC) last month in Tally. NC State (preseason 4th in ACC) took out South Carolina recently. While Clemson (preseason 12th in ACC) did get blown out by Vanderbilt (preseason 4th in SEC) yesterday, the Tigers hung around much longer than they should've given Vandy's ranking. And Georgia Tech (preseason 8th in ACC) was a Tasha Humphrey second-half explosion away from upseting the Lady Bulldogs (preseason 3rd in SEC) in Atlanta.

It is apparent to me that any ACC team can compete with any SEC team. However, the best of the ACC can pick up wins against the best of the SEC. That's what separates the two conferences, IMHO.

x__________

pilight

PostPosted: 12/04/06 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm selling the SEC as #2. The Big 10 is better than the SEC and has matched up decently with the ACC so far (3-3, with two Duke wins against B10 bottom feeders).

PostPosted: 12/04/06 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big 12. They have 5 teams(more than the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC) in the top 25 and are ranked third overall in the RPI just behind the Big Ten and the SEC. Personally, I think the SEC is down. Florida is rebuild city. Kentucky is not as good as most expected and LSU is a tad overrated to me at this point. Tennessee and Georgia are the class of that conference, with Vandy a few(times 10) steps behind. To me, the Big 12 is the 2nd best conference this year.

PostPosted: 12/04/06 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
The Big 12. They have 5 teams(more than the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC) in the top 25 and are ranked third overall in the RPI just behind the Big Ten and the SEC. Personally, I think the SEC is down. Florida is rebuild city. Kentucky is not as good as most expected and LSU is a tad overrated to me at this point. Tennessee and Georgia are the class of that conference, with Vandy a few(times 10) steps behind. To me, the Big 12 is the 2nd best conference this year.

I agree with this assessment. The ACC has three of the top four spots this week. That's awfully impressive. But after the big 3, there's zip for the rest of the ACC in the top 25.

On the question of the toughest CONFERENCE, you need to look at the conference as a whole. The ACC has five more receiving votes, and that confirms that right now it is the toughest conference for women's b-ball. The SEC has four (of the top 11), and two more receiving votes. But the Big 12 and the Big East each have five, and there are four additional Big 12 schools receiving votes (only two in the SEC and the Big East, and the Big 12 is only 3/4 the size of the Big East).

Viewed this way, 9 of the 12 Big 12 schools are receiving votes, and Oklahoma just may be the best team in the country. I think it follows that the Big 12 is probably the second toughest conference.

ChipperF1

PostPosted: 12/05/06 9:18 am    ::: Best conference? depends on your measure Reply Reply with quote

Its hard to gauge the top conference right now. On one hand, the ACC has three excellent teams at the top of the rankings, but mid-range they have a few teams bubbling under. The SEC is in a similar position. The Big 12 is in much the same.

This question depends on your measure. If you value the teams at the top highest, you'll say the ACC is #1, with good reason. If you value tradition and overall talent, you may opt for the SEC aith the ACC coming up fast, again with good reason.
But to me when you take all factor top to bottom into account, especially the mid-tier teams that make up the heart of an NCAA field of 64, the Big 12 in my mind has an edge, which ultimately puts the three league in a stalemate at this point.
I think the Big 12 gets short-shrift in this question because they don't know the league outside the team getting the press OR assume because the traditional powers are "down" that they league is down.

Oklahoma has a really good team, who could become a great team as this year progresses. Texas A&M is a squad who is fierce, they just don't have the Bert Convy Effect working for them. Most of WBB Nation hasn't seen what we've seen so they are under the radar for now.
Baylor is in the same boat, and they've won a championship. Kim Mulkey hasn't gotten her due outside the Big 12 yet, but should. That woman can coach a ballclub.
Texas is considered flagship of the league, and they are struggling and the perception is if they struggle, the league is struggle. Such is nonsense really, but that a perception. The Longhorns are a talented team, but so far they have a lot of work ahead. I will say this, the Longhorns along with Iowa State, Kansas State, Nebraska, Missouri, etc could take down a lot of mid-tier teams in the ACC or SEC and would be competitive with the upper tier teams more often than not.

I don't get into the argument much because even when a Big 12 won a championship the respect was lagging somewhat. But right now, I have the swing up for the Big 12. I'll put our top tier against anybody. Oklahoma, TAMU, Baylor against Duke, UNC or Maryland. Win or lose, it'll be a scrap.
I'll put our collective coaching thrust against anybody. Coale, KMR, Blair, Fennelly, Conradt and a young crop of hopefuls like Yori at Nebraska, McConnell-Miller at Colorado and Budke at Oklahoma State.
Player-for-player, there's a lot of talent in this league not named Courtney Paris. Texas A&M has some kids who'll be hearing a great deal from. Baylor's talent is young and growing. Texas has a nuclear stockpile who just needs get healthy and get playing time, Nebraska has a young all-American in the making who a lot of people will be hearing about this year.

One other key I think this league has, and could make a difference in the order changing in the season ahead are the fans. WCBB fans are always carping about "Team A doesn't draw any fans, blah, blah, blah!" WCBB fans are always carping about "We don't get enough attention blah, blah, blah!"

Well, verily I say unto you, CHECK OUT THE BIG 12!

Fans show up for these team, even in a rough year. No conference has put a million through the turnstiles. The Big 12 has done it and they'll do it again this season given that the Midwestern Ardennes will be exceptionally brutal this year.

It doesn't seem like much now, but recruits are starting to notice. The turnstyles in the Big 12 are turning, the attention is growing and has been.

As far as this season. To me I'm biased towards the Big 12, and I'll admit it. But its stalemate overall. To really answer this question we'll have wait until we have a bracket and the matches are really lethal.

PostPosted: 12/05/06 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang, where are all the Purdoozies to support by B10 argument?

PostPosted: 12/05/06 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I suppose I can chime in to say that the Big 10 isn't down as far as people would have thought - including myself.

Credit Notre Dame with giving Penn St and Indiana wins over a team who is likely to be somewhat middle tier in the Big East.

MSU, behind a solid starting crew has really been solid this season.

The Purdue loss to UConn on TV was really problematic for the conference to me. Gearlds inability to score was concerning, though Erin Lawless looked great. Aside from that game though, Purdue has really been top tier, taking out Baylor - a top Big 12 team.

When OSU loses to Oklahoma, the argument supporting the Big 10 will be even harder to make.

Indiana has a game against Kansas that they are really going to need to win to keep themselves in NCAA consideration.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: