RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee @ UNC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 12/03/06 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mirage32 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
Mirage32 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Quote:
Let's hope we get more of a show from Duke and Rutgers tomorrow night.

Don't hold your breath on that one. Rutgers simply isn't that good of a team this season and they're coming off a long lay-off.

I agree. I see a blow-out in Rutgers' future.

Without a doubt...given the line ups, Duke will probably lay a beat down on C. Viv's hoopsters tomorrow. Orange Krush - been to any Illini games this year?

Nope. I live sort of far away and would only give my support to Bruce Weber, not Grentz the Great. However, I am planning to go to the Men's Big Ten Tourney in Chicago. That should be fun.

Agreed, my last game was when they still played in Huff and hosted an NCAA regional. If you haven't been to the men's tourney and you have the means, I highly suggest it while they're still playing it in Chicago. BTW -If they had the Peoria boys against AZ they would've won by ten. I believe they are going to Indy next year for a multi-year contract.

Wow. They used to play at Huff? I didn't know that. Nice facility. I think this is the last year for the Mens tourney in Chicago. It's moving Slovy's way, Indianapolis. Oh, and that Arizona game. Don't even get me started. Wink Let's just say it got so bad, that I was hoping MAYBE they would hear my screams(through the tv) for a foul, and call one sometime. Too bad they were almost always in the Wildcats' favor. Like you said, Smith and Randle suit up, Illini win, somewhat easily.

PostPosted: 12/03/06 10:57 pm    ::: Re: UNC very impressive Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:
Impressive win by UNC tonight. Latta & company played with fire. Congrats to them. Summit did not look happy....wouldn't want to be int their practice tomorrow....

I don't know. Was this really an impressive win? Was there ever a doubt that UNC was better than UT? UT's fg% was bad, some of that was UNC but a lot of that was just them missing shots. UT's got two newbie guards and Spencer, someone they really rely upon to score was missing open layups. Shocked

I thought they should have dusted UT early in the game. Especially playing at home and all. I was surprised UT hung in there as well as they did.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 12/04/06 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I too was surprised at Spencer missing so many chippies

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 12/04/06 2:54 am    ::: did UNC win? Reply Reply with quote

Im sure Latta had something to do with it.

Go Lattttttttttttttttttttttttttta

BTW I would understand if UNC was losing games BUT they're not. Latta continue to enjoy your college career.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/04/06 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The telling stat of the game: 1 assist for Parker.

What the heck does that tell, you may ask. Well, it's sort of complicated, and it's late ... so I ain't telling.

Oh, just a quickie.

Parker should have had more assists than that just by passing out of double teams on the low block to a teammate on the other low block. But she made no such passes. Why? Because she rarely had the ball in her hands deep on the low blocks (other than via her own offensive rebounds). Why? Two reasons: she wasn't on the low blocks often enough, and when she was, the endlessly dribbling dribblers could not deliver her the ball often enough.

Why? Why?

Because, mostly, no one knew where to go on the floor or what to do with the ball in the face of the defensive pressure.

Why?

Well, different interests may have different tales to tell on that point. But it tells me something about game planning, team offense, and the coaching thereof.

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 12/04/06 8:57 am    ::: UNC is still.... Reply Reply with quote

a SG or two from a national championship. Their frontcourt seems very deep. McCants, DeWitt, Breland, Larkins, Little are all interchangeable, athletic, rebounding terrors.

However, they seemed to thrive when both Miller and Latta were in the game together---which made it easier to get the ball to Larkins.

I can't think of another top tier team with such little guard depth....

Maryland- Toliver/SWG/Newman/Doron
Duke- Harding/Waner/Smith/Waner
UCONN- Montgomery/Swanier/Thomas/Greene
Georgia- Hardrick/Houts/Chambers/....

It'll be interesting to see UNC match up with a team of guards who can/ will run Latta ragged.

It might be a hard thing to fathom, but with Lucas & Graffenreid coming in next year, and Miller leading the troops, they might be a better team next year.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 12/04/06 9:05 am    ::: Re: UNC is still.... Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
It might be a hard thing to fathom, but with Lucas & Graffenreid coming in next year, and Miller leading the troops, they might be a better team next year.

I think they'll be worse next season even if it's just due to the change in regime at the point. Miller, though talented, is not starting PG material for a Final Four-seeking ACC team. One of the freshmen will start, and we know how up and down freshmen can be.

Mathies to LA 2013
BCBG25

PostPosted: 12/04/06 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a sloppy, ugly game, but Latta is what the doctor prescribed for Minny. At least she'll lend some personality to a bland bunch.

PostPosted: 12/04/06 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I think they'll be worse next season even if it's just due to the change in regime at the point. Miller, though talented, is not starting PG material for a Final Four-seeking ACC team. One of the freshmen will start, and we know how up and down freshmen can be.

I see your point. Haven't seen Lucas & DeGraffenreid (sp?) to know how they will compare to Latta. And although Doris Burke has talked up Miller, I don't believe she can start anywhere.

However, I do believe with Latta gone--UNC will have to focus their offense on their strength, which is in the post---something they don't do nearly enough with Latta being option # 1 and running the show.

If Lucas/DeGraff. can play 20 minutes at a Toliver-like (freshman) level, I think UNC can and will ride their frontcourt to wins next year, and can surprise. Much like Maryland did with Harper, Coleman and Langhorne.

But, all in all like you said, it's tough to put FFour hopes on the shoulders of freshmen.

shizanna

PostPosted: 12/04/06 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dear Sportscasters,

Please PLEASE learn how to say Cait McMahan's last name. Please. I've heard it about 5 different ways now. Seriously...like, my ears are bleeding. It's not that hard.

Thanks,
shiz

PostPosted: 12/04/06 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
I see your point. Haven't seen Lucas & DeGraffenreid (sp?) to know how they will compare to Latta. And although Doris Burke has talked up Miller, I don't believe she can start anywhere.

Doris would like a moose if it could nail a 15-foot jumper in transition. Wink But you're right. Miller probably couldn't start for most teams. She just happens to be a good fit for UNC...a true definition of the "system PG".

Quote:
However, I do believe with Latta gone--UNC will have to focus their offense on their strength, which is in the post---something they don't do nearly enough with Latta being option # 1 and running the show.

Depends on how Pringle and Breland develop. Neither looked particularly good on offense last night. Somebody's got to step up at that spot to take the heat off Larkins.

Quote:
If Lucas/DeGraff. can play 20 minutes at a Toliver-like (freshman) level, I think UNC can and will ride their frontcourt to wins next year, and can surprise. Much like Maryland did with Harper, Coleman and Langhorne.

We'll see.

Mathies to LA 2013
CB

PostPosted: 12/04/06 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?id=2685360

PostPosted: 12/04/06 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MoHa21 wrote:
I'm right there with you, O.G. I love Ivory. So many players have disappointed me with lame, cliche answers, but not Miss Latta. Never know what she'll say. The haters are funny. Her talent is undeniable.

Couldn't care less about Latta, but don't let her speak. That girl cannot speak proper English if the world depended on it. I hope it's not an indicator of the diminishing importance of education in the women's college game as it has happened in the men's.

dwalkfan22

PostPosted: 12/04/06 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would have been cool if they would've done a quik interview with Catch, since she was there.

PostPosted: 12/04/06 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The telling stat of the game: 1 assist for Parker.

What the heck does that tell, you may ask. Well, it's sort of complicated, and it's late ... so I ain't telling.

Oh, just a quickie.

Parker should have had more assists than that just by passing out of double teams on the low block to a teammate on the other low block. But she made no such passes. Why? Because she rarely had the ball in her hands deep on the low blocks (other than via her own offensive rebounds). Why? Two reasons: she wasn't on the low blocks often enough, and when she was, the endlessly dribbling dribblers could not deliver her the ball often enough.

Why? Why?

Because, mostly, no one knew where to go on the floor or what to do with the ball in the face of the defensive pressure.

Why?

Well, different interests may have different tales to tell on that point. But it tells me something about game planning, team offense, and the coaching thereof.

I think a big indicator here is that the pressure defense of Carolina was so stifling that it really threw Tennessee out of their game. I think they quoted Gail Goestenkors saying that you know it's coming and you try and prepare for it, but it still messes with your game.

Kudos to NC for playing as well as they were playing. Hopefully, they can keep it going this year unlike last. But I think there are a lot more pretenders to the throne including Maryland, Oklahoma and a ressurgent UConn. UNC will not have an easy road to the Final Four. And I wouldn't look forward to meeting Tennessee again. Pat Summit is all about preparing which is why she schedules all these teams. She will be ready in March.

O.G.

PostPosted: 12/04/06 3:12 pm    ::: Re: UNC is still.... Reply Reply with quote

spikeybedhead wrote:
I can't think of another top tier team with such little guard depth....

It'll be interesting to see UNC match up with a team of guards who can/ will run Latta ragged.

Agreed - especially since, as everyone saw last night, she lacks the explosive speed she has shown in the past. I don't see Carolina headed back to the Final 4 without her at her best.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: