RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Michigan Girls HS Championships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/02/06 1:25 pm    ::: Michigan Girls HS Championships Reply Reply with quote

They are showing them on Directv today, and the listing says live. Is this really the end of the Girls HS basketball season in Michigan? We're having the HS Football Championships this weekend in Tennessee.

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/02/06 1:35 pm    ::: Re: Michigan Girls HS Championships Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
They are showing them on Directv today, and the listing says live. Is this really the end of the Girls HS basketball season in Michigan? We're having the HS Football Championships this weekend in Tennessee.

I think this is taped. They show random stuff on the weekends.

Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/02/06 1:54 pm    ::: Re: Michigan Girls HS Championships Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
rebkell wrote:

Well, after poking around a bit on the net, it appears that the Girls HS Basketball in Michigan runs concurrently with HS football, so these are live and the end of the season.

bullsky

PostPosted: 12/02/06 2:00 pm    ::: Re: Michigan Girls HS Championships Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:
rebkell wrote:

Well, after poking around a bit on the net, it appears that the Girls HS Basketball in Michigan runs concurrently with HS football, so these are live and the end of the season.

Wow. Weird.

PostPosted: 12/02/06 2:20 pm    ::: I thought there was some lawsuit changing this... Reply Reply with quote

...so that Michigan girls' basketball was held in the winter, as it is in most other states. (I know at one time, girls' basketball in Arizona was held in the spring.)

Until a few years ago, girls' basketball in Virginia classes A and AA (the smaller schools, mostly in areas outside the Washington suburbs, Richmond and Tidewater) was held in the fall, whereas the AAA girls played in the winter. (For the few non-AAA schools in metro D.C., such as George Mason in the city of Falls Church -- no relation to the nearby university of the same name -- scheduling must have been extremely difficult, because your closest rivals were in your district and 60 to 70 miles away. How could you fill out your schedule with non-district games without creating overnight trips?)

PostPosted: 12/02/06 3:02 pm    ::: MHSAA Reply Reply with quote

The suit is still ongoing. The MHSAA lost their appeal to the 6th Circuit and are now considering appealing to the Supreme Court.

In the morning session at MSU:
Class A
Detroit Martin Luther King 42, Fraser 36

Class D
Frankfort 26, Portland St. Patrick 21

Next Up:

Class C - 4 p.m.
Flint Hamady (26-1) vs Saginaw Nouvel (27-0) - should be a really good game

Class B - 6 p.m.
Hudsonville Unity Christian (25-1) vs St. Clair (25-2) - TV coverage will be delayed here locally because of Red Wings coverage

King is a Michigan powerhouse. Their coach, William Winfield has been in 11 state finals and has won five championships. His overall record is 565-49 - http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061201/SPORTS05/612010313/1049. He's sent an amazing number of kids to D1 careers.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/02/06 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The MHSAA lost any chance of claiming the season difference didn't matter when they refused to alternate the boys and girls getting the winter season. Seems that it does matter for the male players...

Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/02/06 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The MHSAA lost any chance of claiming the season difference didn't matter when they refused to alternate the boys and girls getting the winter season. Seems that it does matter for the male players...

So, what is the lawsuit, who vs who, etc. ...??

stever

PostPosted: 12/02/06 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
pilight wrote:

Reb, the lawsuit was brought by several pissed-off parents VS. the MHSAA several years ago...parents who saw their kids as bluechip college prospects, who were hurt by the Michigan girls playing in the Fall. 99.9% of parents couldn't care less.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12/02/06 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
rebkell wrote:
pilight wrote:

Reb, the lawsuit was brought by several pissed-off parents VS. the MHSAA several years ago...parents who saw their kids as bluechip college prospects, who were hurt by the Michigan girls playing in the Fall. 99.9% of parents couldn't care less.

I can understand the bluechip parents, I suspect the 99.9% who don't give a sh*t, wouldn't give a sh*t if it was played during the winter either. What is the reasoning behind playing a fall schedule, if you know. I can't understand why the boys play winter and girls play fall, looks to me like that would create more travel, normally(I may be aging myself) the boys and girls teams play against the same schools, don't they?

Daddychoc

PostPosted: 12/02/06 8:15 pm    ::: rankings Reply Reply with quote

it also hurts their ranking with the likes of USA TODAY. A couple of yrs ago Bill Laimbeer's daughter Kerri (Syracuse) team Day "something" stayed ranked #14 for the rest of the year while teams who played in the winter went up, down and around them in the rankings.

BTW MLK HS is some possible D-1 players on their team. A lot of 6'1 - 6'3 athletic players and all are not seniors

Kelli

PostPosted: 12/02/06 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
looks to me like that would create more travel, normally(I may be aging myself) the boys and girls teams play against the same schools, don't they?

In IN, girls and boys teams don't usually play on the same day against the same school. Here, it's usually a varsity and a JV game, either girls or boys. There are a few exceptions, but I think that they are pretty rare.

Hughsterg

PostPosted: 12/02/06 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
rebkell wrote:
looks to me like that would create more travel, normally(I may be aging myself) the boys and girls teams play against the same schools, don't they?

In IN, girls and boys teams don't usually play on the same day against the same school. Here, it's usually a varsity and a JV game, either girls or boys. There are a few exceptions, but I think that they are pretty rare.

In MN, some conferences have the boys and girls play the same teams on the same day, but at opposite sites (boys at home, girls on the road or visa versa)

Of course the first two weeks of the girls season, the boys don't play.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/02/06 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
rebkell wrote:
pilight wrote:

The suit was brought by parents of volleyball players who thought their kids weren't getting enough D1 looks because their kids played in the winter instead of the fall. They felt that players would not be evaluated in the same light as kids from other states because they would not be seen with their school teams before the early signing period.

The majority of basketball coaches, parents and players like the fall season. They don't have to share the gym time, the game nights, media and officials with the boys in the same season.

The suit was filed in 1998, so it's been dragging on for a long time. Sue Guevara, then the head coach at Michigan, testified as a witness for the MHSAA when the case was originally heard in 2001, stating that Michigan basketball players had an advantage over kids from other states because they could be seen before the college seasons started. "Sue Guevara, head coach, testified that many women's college basketball coaches from around the country are able to attend the top girls' games in Michigan. Prior to October, high school games attended do not count against the contact limit of forty games instituted by the NCAA. It is also more convenient for college coaches to attend fall games because they do not have a conflict with the NCAA season, which is in the winter."

Of course, the number of recruiting days have changed and practices start earlier now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: