RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The WNBA's heaping side of feminism

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 06/02/05 11:07 am    ::: The WNBA's heaping side of feminism Reply Reply with quote

http://womenshoops.blogspot.com/2005/06/in-response-to-my-danica-patrick-post.html

As served on dot.com. How did I miss the prom dress feature? Just last night listening to VJ & co sink the 'styx despite game efforts from blazing fast TJ and rejuneuvenated Chas Melvin, was wondering where I put my prom dress, and how VJ and Chas looked in theirs...

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 06/02/05 1:09 pm    ::: Re: The WNBA's heaping side of feminism Reply Reply with quote

yeah, this whole thing has me inordinately pissed off. My own view is that the W's marketing strategy is too vanilla, too family-friendly, too boring.

For someone to say that they refuse to watch the W because there's "too much feminist propaganda" is just utterly absurd to me. It can only be said by someone who never goes to games, never watches them on TV, never looks at the website.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 06/02/05 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'On the Road With the WNBA', Sports Illustrated, August 5, 2002, ,pp 58-65

FeFi

PostPosted: 06/02/05 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Too much feminist propaganda" apparently means "women playing sports". Nice. This same guy probably thinks "too much feminist propaganda" = "19th Amendment", or "too much feminist propaganda"= "The Pill". Where can I meet a guy like that? So sophisticated..so suave and debonair.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 06/02/05 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FeFi wrote:
"Too much feminist propaganda" apparently means "women playing sports". Nice. This same guy probably thinks "too much feminist propaganda" = "19th Amendment", or "too much feminist propaganda"= "The Pill". Where can I meet a guy like that? So sophisticated..so suave and debonair.

well there are a lot of feminine hygiene products commercials when it's on TV...

caune

PostPosted: 06/02/05 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
[
well there are a lot of feminine hygiene products commercials when it's on TV...

LOL< feminine hygiene products are hard to confuse with feminists, I mean come on, even Annthrax Coulter has to use Tampax Twisted Evil
that is if she really IS a women Rolling Eyes

I've always felt the W, and the world for that matter, could use a little more feminist propoganda Cool

PostPosted: 06/02/05 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
[

LOL< feminine hygiene products are hard to confuse with feminists, I mean come on, even Annthrax Coulter has to use Tampax Twisted Evil
that is if she really IS a women Rolling Eyes

I've always felt the W, and the world for that matter, could use a little more feminist propoganda Cool

To many men I'm afraid, feminist propoganda = feminine hygiene products!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 06/02/05 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
This same guy probably thinks "too much feminist propaganda" = "19th Amendment", or "too much feminist propaganda"= "The Pill". Where can I meet a guy like that? So sophisticated..so suave and debonair

Eric says:
Quote:
(Feminist propaganda) is part of the reason why I don't watch the WNBA (other than time constraints)

LOL! They could populate the league with Ann Coulters; Eric would still be busy.

Why is it that the Erics invariably point to figure skating and tennis as examples of sports successes unencumbered by the feminist agenda?

Sonja Henie and Babe Didrikson Zaharias were captivating audiences long before Samantha's mom turned Darren into.. well. . Eric. When he can sit through a womens basketball, softball, soccer or football game without muttering something about a 'feminist agenda', we'll have Agnes Moorehead release him to the 21st century.

gopher5

PostPosted: 06/02/05 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blue - thanks for blowing up the article from SI. I am going to check the full-text out.

A little OT - Mary Jo Kane and the Tucker Center had a great discussion last month on campus on the success of the 2003-04 women's volleyball, basketball and hockey teams of the U of MN (vb and bb went to the Final Four and hockey won the national title) with the coaches of the teams.

Mary Jo is also the emcee of an event the Lynx have every year on celebrating the heritage of female athletes in the state. I really like reading about the Tucker Center research and hearing her speak.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: