RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Colorado State @ Colorado

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatValeska

PostPosted: 11/30/06 1:58 am    ::: Colorado State @ Colorado Reply Reply with quote

Oh my. I can't say I've ever enjoyed a Buffs win less. What an ugly, ugly, ugly game.

Box:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3909&SPID=258&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=698234

A few bright spots for the Buffs at least.

CU is now on a three-game winning streak. Last year they never once managed back-to-back wins.

Jackie McFarland as always led all scorers with 19 points and her new partner in crime in the post Aija Putnina snatched 14 rebounds and added eight points despite sitting a good bit with foul trouble.

They had 13 assists and just eight turnovers - eight! Freshman point guard Whitney Houston had 11 to's on her own just two games back. Can't say I recall he last time CU had a positive assist/to ratio as a team.

The above were all very good things as the guards and wings couldn't buy a bucket all night. Jasmina Ilic has been in an offensive slump all year - and that is a big optimism damper.

Best thing I can say about CU as a team righ now is they are 5-2.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 11/30/06 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, the official spin has finally come in.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3910&SPID=258&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=698267

unkiemark

PostPosted: 11/30/06 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Colorado head coach Kathy McConnell-Miller:

“This particular team is probably one of the most exciting teams to coach, but at times the most challenging,” CU head coach Kathy McConnell-Miller said. “We continue to get better, but somehow when we improve on one of the areas we are focusing on we lose something else. I attribute that to youth. The only thing I disliked tonight were some of the ball handling decisions down the stretch.”

I would very much agree that it seems like when they improve in one area they struggle in others. So last night there were vertually zero silly turnovers, but the decision making and scoring from the perimeter players was poor. I might add too that it was a bit disappointing that the Buffs were out rebounded by a smaller team.

It still seems as if this team is totally dependant on post play offensively. Sometimes it is amazing that Jackie McFarland can get double digits when the opponents know she is the only consistent scoring threat on the team.

I wonder what would have happened had Putnina not committed the two early fouls. She might have ended up with about 20 rebounds as well as many more points. She makes the team better and takes a load of Jackie.

I thought CU's defense was not too bad. They swarmed to the ball and for much of the game realized that CSU is a perimeter oriented team. There were only a few lapses on recognizing the 3-point shooting threat.

Anecdotally it seemed that the Buffs had at least three freshmen on the floor for at least 30 minutes last night.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: