RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How bad is Penn State?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 11/28/06 10:36 pm    ::: How bad is Penn State? Reply Reply with quote

Tonight they lost to St. Francis-PA.

Last year St. Francis had a sub-300 RPI. They were one of the very worst teams in all of D-1. This year, they were 1-3, with their only win being over Maryland Eastern Shore.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/28/06 10:37 pm    ::: Re: How bad is Penn State Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
Tonight they lost to St. Francis-PA.

Last year St. Francis had a sub-300 RPI. They were one of the very worst teams in all of D-1. This year, they were 1-3, with their only win being over Maryland Eastern Shore.

Wow.

There are some good players on Penn State, Rourke and Brown especially. I expected them rebound this year.

Another losing season and Portland will "retire."

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 11/28/06 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow is right. I thought they'd be pretty darn good this year. I was surprised about WKU. This is downright stunning.

From some of the eyewitness reports on the PSU board, sounds like maybe Rene is having issues with O'Rourke.

bullsky

PostPosted: 11/28/06 11:08 pm    ::: Re: How bad is Penn State Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Wow.

There are some good players on Penn State, Rourke and Brown especially. I expected them rebound this year.

Another losing season and Portland will "retire."

I agree. Wouldn't be shocked to see SMS take over there.

This is surprising though. I had them in my Top 25. Shocked

PostPosted: 11/28/06 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh-hem - excuse me - but trash PSU all ya want, but not at the expense of my Red Flash damnit!

Yes, they had to rebuild last year, but let's not forget that prior to last season they dominated the NEC as much as any team dominated any conference over the previous ten years.

I was waiting for the portent that Coach Poe was starting to turn the Red Flash back in the right direction - just wasn't expecting it to be this obvious or this soon.

Box score:

http://www.francis.edu/athletics/wbball/200607/200607Stats/gm5psu.htm

Go Red Flash!
And here's hoping Sacred Heart enjoyed their one-and-done crown last year - cause they're baaaack! Very Happy Very Happy

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 11/29/06 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm rather fond of the Flash... I believe they played UConn in a first round a while back? Very feisty and honest, if that makes sense, despite being outclassed physically...

and I like'em ESPECIALLY tonight.

heh. heh. heh.

PostPosted: 11/29/06 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They looked terrible against Rutgers on Friday and there was open bickering amongst some of the players on the court.

This isn't an excuse but I couldn't believe the schedule they put together playing at Duke Tuesday night before heading to Paradise Jam in St. Thomas and then playing already on the road (granted not that far from home) tonight. Their team was on my flight out of St. Thomas (Rene Portland sat right behind me) and they couldn't have gotten home until late Sunday night. That's a long trip back from St. Thomas and while I know they're young college kids that's an awful quick turnaround for another game after that travel...

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/29/06 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Penn State isn't bad at all. Look at the talent on that roster: O'Rourke, Gissendanner, Brown, White. You can't tell me that they're truly what the record suggests.

Their coach is a demon in pumps, though. She expects to win games with two of her all-conference players on the BENCH? Shocked I think Rene's finally gone over the deep end. You can't win without talent and not every talented player has a "bad attitude", Rene.

I expected them to lose to Duke (though I thought the game would be a lot closer). No shock there. But losing to Rutgers and Western Kentucky WITHOUT any injuries or defections of note isn't the best sign.

Believe it or not, they've got time to turn it around provided Rene lets O'Rourke and Gissendanner out of the dog house.

Mathies to LA 2013
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/29/06 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"sounds like maybe Rene is having issues with O'Rourke."

Uh oh - does she look like a lesbian? Or was she seen talking with one? Or...goddess forgive...she might be an 18 yr old discovering an open mind inside her head? Once you get in Rene's doghouse, it seems the only way out is going to a different school...

~rAf

~rAf
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 11/29/06 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bumped partly because I wanted to push this one back above the "how bad is VT?" thread, having some sympathy for VT and Dunkenberger, some for PSU's players, but none for Rene.

St Francis PA, IIRC-- not to be confused with St Francis NY-- was nearly unbeatable within the NEC while Beth Swink played there, and we got to see her in Williams Arena two years ago: Swink looked good, and Jill Poe looked like a fine coach. But that team in general didn't look capable of beating a decent Big Ten team unless the Big Ten team in question stopped playing together or beat itself.

PSU has a recent history of scheduling really difficult nonconference seasons, both in RPI of teams played and in travel to away games. They do not have a history of losing nonconference games like these.

I, too, wonder if Rene will call it quits after this year.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/29/06 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But that team in general didn't look capable of beating a decent Big Ten team unless the Big Ten team in question stopped playing together or beat itself.

Michigan's only win outside of Crisler last year was against St. Francis PA, 80-52, at a tournament in Oregon.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 11/30/06 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
But that team in general didn't look capable of beating a decent Big Ten team unless the Big Ten team in question stopped playing together or beat itself.

Michigan's only win outside of Crisler last year was against St. Francis PA, 80-52, at a tournament in Oregon.

That was the terrible St Francis team of 2005-06; I was talking about the good-for-a-small-conference St Francis team of 2004-05.

PSUAlum

PostPosted: 11/30/06 10:04 am    ::: Portland Start Pointing Fingers Reply Reply with quote

Patriot News: Portland Starts Pointing Fingers

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1164854402276920.xml&coll=1

Nothing like throwing your starting point guard under the bus. Wonder what she did to get thrown in Rene's doghouse. Last year Rene was annoiting her the next great Penn State point guard, this year she is dog food. What gives??

"A point guard here at Penn State has always had control of the program. I don't really believe that Brianne has that right now," Portland said. "She can work at it to become our quarterback again, but it takes a whole lot of work.

"Unfortunately, we're going to have to step back here for a minute until she gets that under control."

"Until we get our point guard fixed. We're going to run into some difficulties," Portland said. "We'll keep attacking to make sure that's taken care of. We have some rehab in that position to do."

shock6666

PostPosted: 11/30/06 7:16 pm    ::: Re: Portland Start Pointing Fingers Reply Reply with quote

PSUAlum wrote:

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1164854402276920.xml&coll=1

Nothing like throwing your starting point guard under the bus. Wonder what she did to get thrown in Rene's doghouse. Last year Rene was annoiting her the next great Penn State point guard, this year she is dog food. What gives??

"A point guard here at Penn State has always had control of the program. I don't really believe that Brianne has that right now," Portland said. "She can work at it to become our quarterback again, but it takes a whole lot of work.

"Unfortunately, we're going to have to step back here for a minute until she gets that under control."

"Until we get our point guard fixed. We're going to run into some difficulties," Portland said. "We'll keep attacking to make sure that's taken care of. We have some rehab in that position to do."

I saw that article...Boy, that was fast! Rene seems a wound a little tighter than normal maybe? Then again, that Brianne is starting to look a little butch Evil or Very Mad sorry, couldn't resist the snide comment..... Evil or Very Mad

hooper1

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:15 pm    ::: Re: Portland Start Pointing Fingers Reply Reply with quote

PSUAlum wrote:

You know a coach is desperate when she starts blaming players for her inability to coach!

Any thoughts on who the next coach will be for Penn State?

hooper1

PostPosted: 11/30/06 8:15 pm    ::: Re: Portland Start Pointing Fingers Reply Reply with quote

PSUAlum wrote:

You know a coach is desperate when she starts blaming players for her inability to coach!

Any thoughts on who the next coach will be for Penn State?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: