RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UNC so far - from a Duke fan perspective

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/25/06 9:35 am    ::: UNC so far - from a Duke fan perspective Reply Reply with quote

First of all, I haven't watched UNC play yet, though I plan to be at the UNC/Tennessee game a week from tomorrow. So, my viewpoint is made from game summaries and stats.

Carolina is rolling through the early season without being tested, allowing Coach Hatchell to see everyone play and lots of combinations of players. The good news for the Heels (and bad for Duke fans) is that Jessica Breland appears to be the player they've been missing in the post to complement the outstanding Erlana Larkins. She's averaging 12.5 pts/10.3 rebs per game, playing just under 20 minutes per game.

The bad news for the Heels (and good for the rest of us), the Heels don't having a shooting guard. Yes they've got a starter (McCants), averaging 11 pts per game, but shooting 5-16 from 3 (31%). And they've got a sharpshooter (Claytor) off the bench averaging 10 pts per game and a very respectable 52% from 3. But Claytor is VERY slow on defense, so having her on the floor works against UNC's primary game plan of smothering defense based on speed. Christina Dewitt and Alex Miller are adequate, with Alex's primary value being the ability to run the point to give Ivory a breather now and again.

Next, it's hard to tell from early season games and minutes played in blowouts, but I suspect Ivory Latta is not 100%. She is leading the team in minutes played, scoring and assists, but is also leading in turnovers (actually tied for that dubious honor with two other players).

Final observation: Erlana Larkins is continuing her awesome college career. This may be the year when lots of other people start seriously talking about her finding a spot on the Olympic squad at the Power Forward spot alongside Tina Thompson and Candace Parker. Her competitors are Cheryl Ford and Tasha Humphrey. Besides her skills, Erlana brings to the table being a reliable leader and teammate who blends well with virtually everyone. And Erlana has a nice outside shot, which will no doubt develop more after college (where her team doesn't need her to take that shot much).

~rAf

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/25/06 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Heels are also dominating many team statistical categories.

They are second in scoring and first in offensive rebounds per game.

They are first in all defensive categories: opposition ppg, opposition fg%, steals, and total rebounds per game.

One can write this off to a diet of tomato cans. I don't. Lot's of teams are playing tomato cans but don't have those stats.

UNC is playing the scary best apparent basketball so far.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/26/06 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to spite you rAf, the Heels went and shot 14 for 26 from downtown in beating Gonzaga yesterday.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 11/26/06 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would just as soon wait until the aforementioned UNC-Tennessee game to make any judgements about the Heels. While they have padded their stats on "tomato cans", Tennessee has been racking up wins against UCLA, ASU and Stanford, the cream of the Pac-10 crop. If you want a true measure, play somebody of worth.

And, yes, Tennessee has also won against a couple of lesser lights. But Pat always keeps her schedule balanced with some tougher opponents as well. It is that willingness to play all comers that has kept the Lady Vols at the top of the heap for, lo, these many years. Let's talk after next week.

PostPosted: 11/26/06 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mabell3368 wrote:
I would just as soon wait until the aforementioned UNC-Tennessee game to make any judgements about the Heels. While they have padded their stats on "tomato cans", Tennessee has been racking up wins against UCLA, ASU and Stanford, the cream of the Pac-10 crop. If you want a true measure, play somebody of worth.

And, yes, Tennessee has also won against a couple of lesser lights. But Pat always keeps her schedule balanced with some tougher opponents as well. It is that willingness to play all comers that has kept the Lady Vols at the top of the heap for, lo, these many years. Let's talk after next week.

Agreed on that point. Tennessee has gone up against quality competition and should be ready when they face UNC. I don't think North Carolina has face any tough teams yet. It should be a rude awakening.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/26/06 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Agreed on that point. Tennessee has gone up against quality competition and should be ready when they face UNC. I don't think North Carolina has face any tough teams yet. It should be a rude awakening.

UNC never plays a difficult out-of-conference schedule but somehow manages to win a lot of games during the regular season. The Holes have won the ACC the past two seasons with a shitty OOC schedule and I fully expect them to do it again this season. Reality will set in for the Holes when they fall short of their postseason goals YET AGAIN.

It doesn't matter what UNC does or doesn't do during the regular season. That's irrelevant. Just know that they won't win a national championship this year.

Mathies to LA 2013
O.G.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
It doesn't matter what UNC does or doesn't do during the regular season. That's irrelevant. Just know that they won't win a national championship this year.

Uh oh, them's fighting words! Wink

Now, where is the "Duke so far - from a UNC fan perspective" thread? LOL

Glad we're on your minds. Smile

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/30/06 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

UNC never plays a difficult out-of-conference schedule but somehow manages to win a lot of games during the regular season. The Holes have won the ACC the past two seasons with a shitty OOC schedule and I fully expect them to do it again this season. Reality will set in for the Holes when they fall short of their postseason goals YET AGAIN.

Whoa!!! Shocked That is a pretty bold statement. Can you back that up with some opinions please? Not that I like UNC, I would prefer a whole slew of teams win the national title over them. But I want to know if this opinion is based on any particular observation.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/30/06 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One comment I remember hearing recently about the UNC-Tennessee match-up last year was that the Lady Vols had not faced the speed that UNC brought. I think that is a big part of the reason that Pat Summitt scheduled them this year.

O.G.

PostPosted: 11/30/06 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

Whoa!!! Shocked That is a pretty bold statement. Can you back that up with some opinions please? Not that I like UNC, I would prefer a whole slew of teams win the national title over them. But I want to know if this opinion is based on any particular observation.

Fancy daniel, I can assure you that bballfan2005's statements are based on nothing but keen scientific analysis and clear, unbiased observation.
Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: