RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Arizona State - Rutgers cancelled
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJDowntown390

PostPosted: 11/26/06 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's very sad. My condolences to Aubree, her family, and the ASU basketball team.

mb1

PostPosted: 11/26/06 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thoughts and prayers to Aubree, her family, and her extended family.

mabell3368

PostPosted: 11/26/06 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
#3)How the heck does a 15 year old kid die in his sleep? WTF? Was he sick or something?

Any number of physical conditions could have caused the death. It seems pointless to speculate until more information becomes available. What do you say we wait for that, eh? You seem to imply that there was something amiss, when there is absolutely no evidence to support that contention. Forgive me if I misread your intention.

Many years ago, a young lady in her early twenties that I was acquainted with, died suddenly of a brain aneurism. There was no warning, and she was physically fit and active. Some things do not exhibit any sign and can strike at any time.

My sympathy goes out to the family and to the entire ASU team.

PostPosted: 11/26/06 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, some of the responses in this thread disgust me. This is a very sad event and my thoughts are with her family.

PostPosted: 11/26/06 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A friend of mine lost her son a few years back. He was 14 and passed away in his sleep. After month of tests, they finally determined he had Long Q-T Syndrome, which is an infrequent, hereditary disorder of the heart's electrical rhythm that can occur in otherwise-healthy people. It usually affects children or young adults.

Basically, his heart just stopped.

I don't know if this is what happened to Aubree's brother, but regardless, this is a very sad situation.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Aubree, her family, and everyone affected by this tragedy.

Kelli

PostPosted: 11/26/06 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think that it's a black/white issue whether to cancel a game in this situation or not. I also don't think that it is a men's game/women's game issue.

I think that since this was a holiday tourney game, in a vacation area that made the decision much easier. By that, I mean that there were fewer factors involved. If this had happened at the Maui Classic, I could easily see that game being cancelled. Or the Alaska Shootout. On the Mainland, a regular season game, I'm not so sure.

As sad as it is to say, money plays a large part. Someone mentioned the Miami situation. If that had been the sibling of one of the players killed, instead of a player dying, I don't think that the game would have been cancelled. There is too much money involved. In that way, I don't think that you would see this happening in the men's game - there's too much money involved. At least at the DI level. Go down to DII, DIII, or NAIA and maybe a men's game would be cancelled.

In conference play, the game would need to be made up (or forfeited). Depending on the travel distance and possible rescheduling conflicts, I can see the game being played - men's or women's.

Having said all of that, I think that cancelling this game was the right thing to do - in this situation.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/26/06 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
#1) If this was a mens game ..YES it would have been played.

#2)Who cares...I could not care one way or the other if they played or not. ONLY concern is for her and her family. You guys are missing the point.

#3)How the heck does a 15 year old kid die in his sleep? WTF? Was he sick or something?

I don't agree that it would've been played and I'm ashamed at some of you blowing this out of proportion.

Condolences to Aubree for her loss.

CTT and VS were a class act in all of this.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/26/06 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this is what shoulda been done:

the asu player is excused and the game is played, w/ a moment of silence to respect the dead.

SuziQ

PostPosted: 11/27/06 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aubree, we are so very sorry for your loss. Our deepest condolences to you and your family as you sort thru this horrible, tragic loss.

I don't think any of US are in a position to say what should have been done. We weren't there, we don't personally know the people involved and their relationships. So we must simply accept what happened. So freakin' what if a basketball game didn't get played? Who cares what the men would have done?

A sister lost her brother.

If she didn't want to play a basketball game the same day, I could not blame her. Nor could I blame the team for staying by her side, the coach for supporting her 1000%, and the opposing coach for doing one of the most thoughtful things I've ever heard done by an opposing coach.

My thanks to ASU and Rutgers, who allowed her to be a sister and not some sort of basketball-playing robotic automaton who only thinks of the money. It is, after all, just a game. THIS is real life.

PostPosted: 11/27/06 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2677574

Quote:
The younger brother of Arizona State senior forward Aubree Johnson died from an enlarged heart

Throwing in my respect to ASU and Rutgers for caring about the people involved and taking the high road.

PostPosted: 11/27/06 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's an update:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/1127johnson-ON.html

Quote:
The younger brother of Arizona State senior forward Aubree Johnson died from an enlarged heart while in St. Thomas for the Paradise Jam tournament, the medical examiner said Monday.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/27/06 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
for caring about the people involved and taking the high road.

Playing the game, while letting Johnson sit out and having a moment of silence at the game, woudn't be taking the high road? Yes, canceling the game indicates there are more important things than basketball, as there are. But taking CTh's suggestion, playing the game without Johnson and observing a moment of silence, shows that while we are saddened by the loss, life actually does go on.

Sorry, I find it silly to start judging what is a "more appropriate response" in situations like this.

As an aside, if it were a men's game, chances are the game would have continued and a moment of silence would have been observed.

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/27/06 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn't commenting on all the other suggestions/what they didn't do (I know what you're saying Cam).

What they did was taking the high road. Doesn't mean other things wouldn't have been also.

PostPosted: 11/29/06 5:01 pm    ::: Where and when the death ocurred led to cancellation Reply Reply with quote

IMO, if Aubree's brother hadn't been in the VI with the team, the game would have been played, without Aubree.

I also think if it was a men's game, and a family member died at the same hotel as the team, the game would have been cancelled also.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/29/06 5:03 pm    ::: Re: Where and when the death ocurred led to cancellation Reply Reply with quote

Hughsterg wrote:
IMO, if Aubree's brother hadn't been in the VI with the team, the game would have been played, without Aubree.

I also think if it was a men's game, and a family member died at the same hotel as the team, the game would have been cancelled also.

It may very well have.

With either men or women, if the game was to be nationally televised (as you can bet this game would have been for the men) it doesn't get cancelled. The almighty dollar wouldn't have allowed it.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 11/29/06 5:19 pm    ::: Re: Where and when the death ocurred led to cancellation Reply Reply with quote

Hughsterg wrote:

You're absolutely right on both counts. There is no such thing as the women's NCAA or men's NCAA. The NCAA is the NCAA and its rules cover every varsity sport. As such, the location of the death was the determining factor in the game being cancelled per the Catastrophic Event clause.

Mathies to LA 2013
PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 11/29/06 7:24 pm    ::: Re: Where and when the death ocurred led to cancellation Reply Reply with quote

"It may very well have.

With either men or women, if the game was to be nationally televised (as you can bet this game would have been for the men) it doesn't get cancelled. The almighty dollar wouldn't have allowed it."

While "the almighty dollar" may tend to rule, can you show a specific example that is EXACTLY like this? Just asking, since you are sounding so authoritative. I would sincerely appreciate knowing links to anything you know on this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: