RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

This crap pisses me off...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shizanna

PostPosted: 11/21/06 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that if they feel the need to qualify women's as "women's", then the same needs to be done for the men.

I disagree with you on this one, Cam. Wink

PostPosted: 11/21/06 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
I think that if they feel the need to qualify women's as "women's", then the same needs to be done for the men.

I disagree with you on this one, Cam. Wink

I agree with you there, but to compare the records is just ridiculous. Women's basketball and men's basketball are two different sports.

Also, it is common...remember, it isn't the MNBA...it isn't the MPGA. Are the names of leagues going to change next?

While it would be nice, there are much bigger issues than this one. And there no "disrespect" to Pat. She has the record for women's basketball; Dean Smith has the record for men's basketball. Next.

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/21/06 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed. Pat has the record for Women's, Dean for Men's.

So who has the record for Division I Basketball?

Sportswriters just need to be more aware of their classifications, I guess.

PostPosted: 11/21/06 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
Sportswriters just need to be more aware of their classifications, I guess.

Not when it has been referred to as "college basketball" for decades. To me this is just as much a non-starter as are the debates about the "lady" moniker before team names. If TN calls its team the Lady Vols, but the men's team is called the Vols, how is that any different?

Just some points to consider...

Jimi3

PostPosted: 11/21/06 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyDevilFan wrote:
Agreed. Now I'm equally pissed off. Mad

*Edit*

I decided to correct their oversight. I sent an e-mail to Sports@MSNBC.com saying:

Quote:
Regarding your article about the 'slapping' of a player by Bob Knight, I would like to correct an inaccuracy in the article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15708145/

In this article it is reported that:

"It was win No. 871 for Knight, who is five shy of tying Adolph Rupp for second place on the career list. He needs nine more victories to surpass Dean Smith for the most victories in Division I history."

Pat Summitt of the University of Tenneessee holds the record for most victories in Division I history.

Dean Smith holds the record for second place on the career list, which would put Adolph Rupp in third. If you want to say that Dean Smith has the most victories in Division I history, you have to specify that he has the most victories out of men's basketball coaches.

Please correct this oversight in the future, and give credit to Coach Summitt.

Thanks.

If you've got the time, drop them a note. Remind them who Coach Summitt is. Twisted Evil

Just to correct the record a little further UT Coach Jody Conradt's win total stands at 885. Dean Smith is ALREADY in third place. Wink

I could not resist that UT part. Laughing

PostPosted: 11/21/06 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good point, Jimi. Thanks!

PostPosted: 11/21/06 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Just to correct the record a little further UT Coach Jody Conradt's win total stands at 885. Dean Smith is ALREADY in third place.

Again, see my previous post.

Not when it has been referred to as "college basketball" for decades. To me this is just as much a non-starter as are the debates about the "lady" moniker before team names. If TN calls its team the Lady Vols, but the men's team is called the Vols, how is that any different?

Jimi3

PostPosted: 11/21/06 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
Just to correct the record a little further UT Coach Jody Conradt's win total stands at 885. Dean Smith is ALREADY in third place.

Again, see my previous post.

They are all great coaches and have earned their place. If it makes you feel any better I'm not real fond of calling the winners of the "World Series" and other US sports leagues "World Champions" either but I won't have a heart attack over it.

Btw I think the fact that Coach Summitt started at age 22 and other WCBB Coaches also started very young did give them extra years to amass all those wins. On the other hand, often the schedules were rather short.

I honor Dean Smith, John Wooden and the many mens game Coaches who have not only excelled personally but also honor the Womens game.

PostPosted: 11/21/06 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

for me, just because it's been like that for decades doesn't mean it can't change.

Policeman changed
Fireman changed

asking for the qualifier "men's" or "women's" to be distributed equally seems both a small and big step.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, been interested in combining or comparing the men's and women's games. Some think it's interesting.

Surely, when they talked about Dean's record been the most wins in basketball, they either 1) assumed that everyone would know they meant men's game and.or 2) simply thought women's basketball was a non-entity unworthy of the respect of "separate" identity.

I'd like to think times are changing -- however slowly. If they get upset when I say they're wrong not to use the "men's" qualifier, good.

If they don't get upset, but simply recognized the qualifier is needed and make the necessary changes, even better.

Perhaps there won't be an issue when Knight throws a chair the same night he breaks Dean's men's record...

PostPosted: 11/21/06 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah they kind of just ignored WBC there a little...

They should have mentioned that...

Pat = women's record

PostPosted: 11/21/06 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="RedEqualsLuck"]for me, just because it's been like that for decades doesn't mean it can't change.

for me too.

PostPosted: 11/22/06 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
for me, just because it's been like that for decades doesn't mean it can't change.

Are you advocating changing the names of the NBA, PGA, etc.?

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/22/06 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The sport cam...not the organizations. Basketball is basketball whether men, women, europeans, whoever play it.

That's the point we're making.

If Pat has the "women's record", then Bob is getting closer to the "men's record"...when you strip away the qualifiers, it's straight-up, plain-ole basketball. And that record is Pat's.

PostPosted: 11/22/06 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
The sport cam...not the organizations. Basketball is basketball whether men, women, europeans, whoever play it.

That's the point we're making.

If Pat has the "women's record", then Bob is getting closer to the "men's record"...when you strip away the qualifiers, it's straight-up, plain-ole basketball. And that record is Pat's.

I understand the point. I just find it silly in comparison to other issues that are much more pressing. Rather than nitpick about something like this, it would be more prudent to spend time how to increase the attendance base for women's sports.

It is also silly because men's basketball and women's basketball are two different sports...putting them together, whether by fans or media, is pointless.

shizanna

PostPosted: 11/22/06 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
it would be more prudent to spend time how to increase the attendance base for women's sports.

THAT is a good point.

PostPosted: 11/22/06 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to throw my two cents in.

I don't think it is necessary to call it MNBA or MPGA.

When talking about an all time record in Division I, I consider it the same sport (basketball is basketball, ask Reggie Miller) and it would have been better reporting to mention Pat Summitt as having the overall record, men and women.

Had it been reversed, I think the reporter on the women's side would mention the coach on the men's side as having the overall record.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 11/22/06 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shizanna wrote:
Quote:
it would be more prudent to spend time how to increase the attendance base for women's sports.

THAT is a good point.

me I like to multi-task.

I believe I can talk up the women's game in general conversations, invite friends to attend, buy tickets, wear women's basketball paraphenlia, tweak the nose of the New York Times, question double-standards of behavior and expectations, and draw attention to the fact there actually is a women's basketball game by asking writers to use a qualifier -- especially in instances where it would make a story more accurate.

It's what I enjoy doing. It's what I have a passion about. And, quelle suprise, in the case of MSNBC, it actually caused a change (kudos to all others who emailed)

And, actually, I consider those actions all about increasing the attendance base for women's basketball in that it raises awareness. No one is going to want to go to a women's basketball game if they think there is no such thing.

and no, I have no burning desire to change it from the NBA to the MNBA -- and I'm guessing you know that's not my point. Doesn't mean I won't use the MNBA moniker to make fun -- or make a point -- if I so choose.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: