RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND's recruiting class could be their best in years....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 11/09/06 9:13 am    ::: ND's recruiting class could be their best in years.... Reply Reply with quote

November 09. 2006 6:59AM

McGraw rests well after wake-up call

FORREST MILLER
Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND -- Notre Dame women's basketball coach Muffet McGraw made it clear Wednesday that she is "not resting'' on her recent recruiting success.

A three-member class ranked No. 11 in the nation by Blue Star Basketball has signed the national letter of intent to enroll at Notre Dame for the 2007-08 school year.

Becca Bruszewski, a 6-foot-1 forward from Wheeler, Ind., High School; Brittany Mallory, a 5-10 guard from Baltimore's McDonogh School, and Devereaux Peters, a 6-2 forward from Fenwick High School in Chicago will be freshmen on next season's team.

"We addressed our needs,'' said McGraw. "Rebounding was our biggest need. This group will fit in well with the four freshmen currently on our roster.''

Crystal Erwin and Breona Gray are the only seniors on the present roster.

Lindsay Schrader, out for the season after undergoing knee surgery, is also scheduled to return to the team next season as a sophomore.

Of the three, McGraw believes Peters has the best chance to contribute immediately.

"She can block shots, rebound and shoot the 3-pointer,'' said McGraw. She averaged 12.9 points and 7.7 rebounds with a .605 field goal percentage as Fenwick went 32-2 and rose to the No. 1 ranking in Illinois before being upset by one point in the sectional final.

The team has posted a 99-9 record since she first suited up for Fenwick.

"Fenwick competes for the state championship every year, Devereaux is used to that kind of pressure,'' added McGraw. "Her athleticism and versatility, with the way she can post up or step away and hit the perimeter shot, will make her a great complement to our team.''

Bruszewski attracted the attention of recruiters by playing AAU ball during the summer. She played two summers with current Irish freshman Melissa Lechlitner, who was a factor in solidifying the connection between Bruszewski and Notre Dame.

Also an outstanding volleyball player, Bruszewski averaged 18.3 points and 9.7 rebounds in her first three years at Wheeler. She was the state's No. 2 scorer in Class 2-A, and is a pre-season candidate for the 2007 Miss Indiana Basketball award.

"She called me one night at home about 11:30 and said she was coming to Notre Dame,'' said McGraw. "Anyone who knows me knows I'm usually long gone by then. But for some reason I left my cell phone on. I usually don't do that. I slept well the rest of the night. She is one tough kid and she won't be intimidated.''

Mallory averaged 19.6 points and seven rebounds during the past two seasons. She has scored 1,365 points in three seasons.

"Brittany is a complete offensive player and does a lot of different things well,'' said McGraw. "When we offered, she was really excited. She wanted to talk it over with her parents, then called back about 10 minutes later and accepted.''

Mallory is also an outstanding lacrosse player.

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: