RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Experimental 10 Second Rule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelli

PostPosted: 10/30/06 9:37 am    ::: Experimental 10 Second Rule Reply Reply with quote

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/15883962.htm

I don't see where it's needed.

acusefan

PostPosted: 10/30/06 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree the 10 second rule is silly. Portland is right its especially silly with the 30 seconds shot clock while the men have 35. In fact I think the best way to improve the women's game is to eliminate the shot clock entirely that way we can limit possesions and teams that stink can stay closer to much more talented teams by simply holding onto the ball

I hope everyone can tell I am being sarcastic.

They should probably go to exactly what the men have, I know people want to be different but 35 seconds and a 10 second rule would be a good thing. It would allow teams to press and push the pace of the game and make it more exciting. I realize people like portland don't want that because then they'd have to teach there players how to beat the press instead of worry about their sexuality but eliminating 55-50 games would be a good thing for the women.

miatamama

PostPosted: 10/30/06 10:51 am    ::: Move on Reply Reply with quote

Not everything that comes out of Penn State and quotations attributed to their coach is related to the current law suit. Perhaps, just perhaps Portland was asked a question about the rule and responded. Wow, what a concept.

Those people who see the PSU program as all about Portland's reported behavior are missing the fine players and insulting their hard work.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/30/06 10:57 am    ::: Re: Experimental 10 Second Rule Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:

I agree. I am not a big fan of the 10-second rule in the men's game. I like the strategy that can be used without the rule. For example, Purdue has in the past few years used a lot of trapping in the full court to slow down the point guard's progress up the floor. As a spectator it is interesting for me to watch how teams do that and deal with that, and it is interesting for me watch them then execute their offense with 15 or 12 seconds left on the shot clock.

00NDROCKS

PostPosted: 10/30/06 11:12 am    ::: Re: Experimental 10 Second Rule Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Kelli wrote:

I agree. I am not a big fan of the 10-second rule in the men's game. I like the strategy that can be used without the rule. For example, Purdue has in the past few years used a lot of trapping in the full court to slow down the point guard's progress up the floor. As a spectator it is interesting for me to watch how teams do that and deal with that, and it is interesting for me watch them then execute their offense with 15 or 12 seconds left on the shot clock.

I think it's great !!! A team that now uses a press and traps for ten seconds will now be rewarded for a strong defensive stand.

I've see Purdue play the press and trap game and with that said they will benefit highly from this rule change.

" My best seasons in the WNBA have been the two that I spent in Indiana. Not only did I get the chance to play in front of some of the most passionate fans in the WNBA, but I also had an incredible opportunity to play alongside one of the best players in the history of the game in Tamika Catchings. " ANNA DEFORGE.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/30/06 11:14 am    ::: Re: Experimental 10 Second Rule Reply Reply with quote

00NDROCKS wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Kelli wrote:

I think it's great !!! A team that now uses a press and traps for ten seconds will now be rewarded for a strong defensive stand.

I've see Purdue play the press and trap game and with that said they will benefit highly from this rule change.

I think they will benefit. I am just thinking of something that makes the game interesting to me as a fan.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/30/06 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 10 second rule is completely unneeded.

ASun women's teams press all the time anyway. The quality of ball handling down here is suspect for most teams, so it's an effective strategy. Of course we have Sally Skeldon, so we don't get pressed as much. Cool

PostPosted: 10/30/06 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i hope everyone is kidding.......high school and pros ahave 10-second rule, what makes college girls so special AND u have to reward the defense its not fair at all to stay in the backcourt for 20 seconds then run and gun ala villanova

bring back the 10 second rule!

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/30/06 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohhhhhhhhh yeah, baby.

Yes, I'm a proponent of the 10-second rule. No, it's not completely because I'm a Rutgers fan, but it does help.

PostPosted: 10/30/06 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shmace83002 wrote:
i hope everyone is kidding.......high school and pros ahave 10-second rule, what makes college girls so special AND u have to reward the defense its not fair at all to stay in the backcourt for 20 seconds then run and gun ala villanova

I agree. Of course, I am so old I can remember Indiana high school games back in the day when outmanned teams would hold the ball for 10 minutes or more, if they could keep from having it stolen. You could go out for a snack and come back into the gym and the score would not have changed and the final could easily be something like 18-16. It was AWFUL! Granted, that didn't happen a lot, unless it was the State Tourney (one class back then) and it happend to be the short, slow, no-talent Podunk Possums playing Muncie Central or Gary Roosevelt or the Anderson Indians, etc., and they knew that holding the ball was the ONLY way they could possibly dream of keeping the game close, let alone winning.

I personally think the women's rules should be the same as the men's. A 30-second shot clock and the 10-second line. Bring it on!!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/30/06 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:
I personally think the women's rules should be the same as the men's. A 30-second shot clock and the 10-second line. Bring it on!!

Then the shot clock would be 35 seconds.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/30/06 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:

Personally, I think the men's rules should be the same as the women's.

I am not sure why everyone is always so quick to assume the men's rules are better simply because they are the men's rules.

RubberTroll

PostPosted: 10/30/06 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They experimented with it last year too. Don't recall it having any noticable
effect on the games I saw.

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_events/press_room/2005/may/20050504mw_bkbrules_rls.html

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 10/30/06 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For some reason in Maine our highschool teams don't have a stop clock either. It gets so boring when a team during a tournament game will try to hold hte ball for 3 minutes until a lane clears up to take an easy shot.

lola528 wrote:
shmace83002 wrote:

I agree. Of course, I am so old I can remember Indiana high school games back in the day when outmanned teams would hold the ball for 10 minutes or more, if they could keep from having it stolen. You could go out for a snack and come back into the gym and the score would not have changed and the final could easily be something like 18-16. It was AWFUL! Granted, that didn't happen a lot, unless it was the State Tourney (one class back then) and it happend to be the short, slow, no-talent Podunk Possums playing Muncie Central or Gary Roosevelt or the Anderson Indians, etc., and they knew that holding the ball was the ONLY way they could possibly dream of keeping the game close, let alone winning.

lola528

PostPosted: 10/30/06 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="umbeta1455"]For some reason in Maine our highschool teams don't have a stop clock either. It gets so boring when a team during a tournament game will try to hold hte ball for 3 minutes until a lane clears up to take an easy shot.

Exactly. It can make for an incredibly boring game. Outmanned teams will often play slow-down, and it's not a very exciting brand of basketball. Just imagine what some of those games would have been like if there had been no 10-second line!! EEEEEK!!

I do agree with Matty on the shot-clock time, however. If we're going to have a 10-second line, then our clock should go to 35 seconds instead of 30.

And it's not because "the men have it" that the women should have a 10-second line. We should have it because it makes for better basketball. AND, if high school teams can do it...ya'know?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/30/06 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:

I do agree with Matty on the shot-clock time, however. If we're going to have a 10-second line, then our clock should go to 35 seconds instead of 30.

And it's not because "the men have it" that the women should have a 10-second line. We should have it because it makes for better basketball. AND, if high school teams can do it...ya'know?

If you t hink WCBB should have a 35 second shot-clock, you don't agree with me. I think MCBB should be at 30 seconds.

lola528

PostPosted: 10/30/06 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
lola528 wrote:

If you t hink WCBB should have a 35 second shot-clock, you don't agree with me. I think MCBB should be at 30 seconds.

Duh. You're right. I don't agree with you. This is way sad because it proves that I can't read...sorry....

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/30/06 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
lola528 wrote:

Duh. You're right. I don't agree with you. This is way sad because it proves that I can't read...sorry....

Very Happy

I knew to check, because people don't agree with me often.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 10/30/06 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Six of one, half-a-dozen the other. The continuous successful play both with and without a time line suggests that it's merely a difference, and not a defect.

That said, what is it that the Powers That Be perceive to be "broken" that they need to "fix" with this particular rule change?

PostPosted: 10/31/06 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miatamama,

For me, EVERYTHING that comes out of PSU is viewed through the Rene Portland debacle. While she is there, I will no longer support my old (and formerly beloved) alma mater either financially or emotionally. I give the money to a local school (American U's BB program) so I am not just finding a convenient excuse to be stingy.

For me, all of PSU now is a poisonous fruit from a poisoned tree. And, as a lifelong member of the Penn State alumni association, that saddens me.

But, back to the topic of the ten second clock..

PostPosted: 11/03/06 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the 10 second rule. I saw Purdue struggle with it tonight and like the potential momentum shift as a reward for a good defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: