RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

St. John's versus Team Adidas Elite/Premier Players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/02/06 10:47 pm    ::: St. John's versus Team Adidas Elite/Premier Players Reply Reply with quote

Not an auspicious opening to the 2006-2007 season for the Red Storm, as St. John's fell 73-65. For St. John's, All-Big East forward Angela Clark did not play (and wasn't actually present, unless she was hiding behind the stanchion or something like that) and sophomore guard Monique McLean was used sparingly. Four newcomers to the team also didn't see action, as Charrisse Curtis and Recee Mitchell were not present (or if they were, I didn't recognize them, because it's hard to recognize frosh when you've only seen them once), Kelly McManmon dressed but, being a transfer, did not play, and Victoria Hodges was in street clothes and on crutches, with what looked like a cast on her left foot/lower leg. Of course, St. John's has NOTHING about an injury, because that might actually be useful! Rolling Eyes

I was very impressed with freshman Joy McCorvey- she shows great hustle and actually plays defense a good whack of the time. I also liked Nikki Jo Rotolo, although she could do with a bit of conditioning and a LOT of ballhandling drills. Of course, Kia Wright is awesome, although she played sparingly. Tiina Sten was hot early, but she has a distressing tendency to… well, be a Euro, since she's Finnish, and that makes our post *very* soft, since Angel Tate is unfamiliar with the concept of setting screens and Allie Patterson is unfamiliar with the concept of knowing the plays and/or driving the lane. If the Red Storm continue defending like this, they're going to have trouble with *everyone*.

WHY is Leah Metcalf not in the WNBA? She was driving the lane like nobody's business. She was awesome- led all scorers with 24 points and played solid defense, as did her team. Nikkita Bell, erstwhile Shock, also looked very good. It was a very solid touring team, all major-conference players with the exception of a pair of A-10 alumnae, Ebony Tanner of Richmond and Tynecia Pam of Temple. There was a former Gopher on the squad, Katie Alsdurf, and an Arkansas alum, Amy Wright. A very defensive-minded team, which surprised me. I wouldn't be surprised if Metcalf and Bell popped up again in the league, or if the coach, Bret McCormick, worked his way into the college ranks- he ran his team very well.

Both teams shot like crap; there was one possession where St. John's came up with five offensive rebounds and no points. *despair*

Red Storm alumna Mercedes Dukes was in attendance, as was sophomore guard Lisa Claxton, who's listed on the paper roster but not on the roster at the site. She said she's not sure if she's coming back this year (I asked, since I was curious- I did forget to mention that she was mentioned on Deadspin as part of the "Five Tiny Tidbits" preview for the Hawks). I really don't think a game with headcount attendance requires three people strolling through the bleachers selling refreshments, and I was going to pen-stab a bitch if my view got blocked one more time.

I think Iona will be more of a test. More to the point, a game where Angela and Monique get used the way they would normally will be more a test.

Box score yonder: http://149.68.13.192:90/women/basketball/2006/stjexh.htm

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: