RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue WBB announces try-outs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miatamama

PostPosted: 10/04/06 8:18 pm    ::: Purdue WBB announces try-outs Reply Reply with quote

http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/100406aab.html

Short bench, anticipating injuries, cover for other plans, good PR move, crafty coaching plan.....Any thoughts?

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

PostPosted: 10/04/06 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thoughts? Yes!

I'm available, and I love West Lafayette. Sadly, I'm old, I've used up all my collegiate eligibility, and I got no game now and never did, really.

I guess I'll not be lacing up my Chucks this time.

But what an egalitarian, almost D3 approach to the NCAA game. I like it. But then again, it's not my team. I'd probably feel differently if it were the local purple and gold university soliciting tryouts.

PostPosted: 10/05/06 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back in my day (geez, feel old saying that) there was no women's basketball team at my alma mater. I so wish there had been the opportunities THEN there are now. As a slow average sized suburban kid I doubt any team would have been interested in my mediocre skills, but it would have been interesting to try!

And yes, there are mixed reactions to this in the Gold and Black fan base. Some see it as a brilliant move (adding players so there can be a more equitable practice, adding bench strength, good PR move, providing opportunities for players who might have been overlooked, etc.) or question it's significance. All opinions are being expressed and who knows who's right.

I don't remember this being done in the last couple years, but may have been a part of prior seasons. Seems like a good move, no matter the purpose. It certainly has provided some interesting talk.

PostPosted: 10/05/06 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Gophers did this a few years ago when they were hit with the injury bug. It gave two walk-ons the chance to be on the Final Four team.

One of those two (Hannah Garry) ended up getting a scholarship and being on the team for three seasons. She was a fan favorite.

lola528

PostPosted: 10/05/06 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:
Back in my day (geez, feel old saying that) there was no women's basketball team at my alma mater. I so wish there had been the opportunities THEN there are now. As a slow average sized suburban kid I doubt any team would have been interested in my mediocre skills, but it would have been interesting to try!

And yes, there are mixed reactions to this in the Gold and Black fan base. Some see it as a brilliant move (adding players so there can be a more equitable practice, adding bench strength, good PR move, providing opportunities for players who might have been overlooked, etc.) or question it's significance. All opinions are being expressed and who knows who's right.

I don't remember this being done in the last couple years, but may have been a part of prior seasons. Seems like a good move, no matter the purpose. It certainly has provided some interesting talk.

Noone but YOU has "questioned its significance." There IS no significance, other than to give some potential players an opportunity to be part of the team and to help the team with additional numbers. And yes, it has been done before, and more than once.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 10/05/06 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:

Noone but YOU has "questioned its significance." There IS no significance, other than to give some potential players an opportunity to be part of the team and to help the team with additional numbers. And yes, it has been done before, and more than once.

uhhh...YUP!! On every single message board the questioning has occured...you forgot about ESPN's message board Mama. Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile I'm gonna get my kicks on and head to try outs. Laughing

PostPosted: 10/05/06 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

desafiada6 wrote:
lola528 wrote:

uhhh...YUP!! On every single message board the questioning has occured...you forgot about ESPN's message board Mama. Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile I'm gonna get my kicks on and head to try outs. Laughing

Nah, I didn't forget about the ESPN board. I deliberately block it from my mind because I think it's so stupid and most of the posters appear to be escapees from some sort of institution. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Smile I'll be interested to hear the results of tryouts.

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 10/05/06 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, Purdue did this not all that long ago when Dunn was fired and most of the team walked away in protest. Fortner had try outs and Purdue took it all the following year. Good or bad move on Versyp's part? Who knows? But I think it was necessary.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 10/05/06 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It can make good storylines for the paper if you can get a local player on the team. Versyp has done this before. She likes giving everybody a chance. I think she wants to find a diamond in the rough and figures it can't hurt if their are a lot of open spots for the season. She did well at Maine. The only thing I can say is Purdue isnt' Maine so I don't see it working so well accept maybe to have more practice players.

Kelli

PostPosted: 10/06/06 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Nell held open try-outs, Corissa Yasen was that diamond in the rough!

RIP Corissa.

And Danielle Bird a good 3-pt threat.

And not from oan open try-out, but from watching tapes of an incoming freshman, the coaching staff saw Michelle Duhart on the tapes and brought her to campus.

Corissa and Michelle we both starters and Danielle was key off the bench. That was a fun team to watch. Probably my favorite of all the Purdue teams that I have seen.

Michael

PostPosted: 10/06/06 11:17 am    ::: Actually it was three season after the tryouts Reply Reply with quote

that Bird came in on that Purdue won the title, and like Dildine on this years team, Yasen was recruited before the tryouts. The three players that came out of the tryouts were Bird, Potts, and a forward whose last name started with an S but her name escapes me. Only Bird ever played more then garbage time.

PostPosted: 10/06/06 12:42 pm    ::: Re: Actually it was three season after the tryouts Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
that Bird came in on that Purdue won the title, and like Dildine on this years team, Yasen was recruited before the tryouts. The three players that came out of the tryouts were Bird, Potts, and a forward whose last name started with an S but her name escapes me. Only Bird ever played more then garbage time.

Amy Schaffer?

Michael

PostPosted: 10/06/06 1:16 pm    ::: Re: Actually it was three season after the tryouts Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Michael wrote:

Amy Schaffer?

That was it, thanks.

Michael

PostPosted: 10/06/06 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, Michael, I didn't forget about ESPN's message board. You just don't know where I am or who I am or when I'll be around.

You are so filled with rancor for anyone but your little inside PU gang and think that you are in total control and God forbid if anyone else dares to question your almighty authority--you see a conspiracy behind every question or comment. One of the things you refuse to accept is that things are not nearly as complicated or evil as you make them out to be. Wow, that's some power trip you're on.

Make better use of that PU education - try opening up your mind to the possibility that sometimes people just ask questions or post information to get feedback--to just hear what other people think about things.

Familiar with that thing on side mirrors on cars? "Things are larger (or bigger) than they appear" You buddy are much smaller.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/06/06 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:
No, Michael, I didn't forget about ESPN's message board. You just don't know where I am or who I am or when I'll be around.

You are so filled with rancor for anyone but your little inside PU gang and think that you are in total control and God forbid if anyone else dares to question your almighty authority--you see a conspiracy behind every question or comment. One of the things you refuse to accept is that things are not nearly as complicated or evil as you make them out to be. Wow, that's some power trip you're on.

Make better use of that PU education - try opening up your mind to the possibility that sometimes people just ask questions or post information to get feedback--to just hear what other people think about things.

Familiar with that thing on side mirrors on cars? "Things are larger (or bigger) than they appear" You buddy are much smaller.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

blah, blah, blah Rolling Eyes

BallState1984

PostPosted: 10/07/06 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little objectivity never hurt any one.

I think the Momma hit the nail on the head.

Sternvogel

PostPosted: 10/07/06 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curry also had open try outs one year. It brought her Crystal Vander Plaats and Brea Williams. This is done frequently by lots of coaches.

http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/birthdays/index.html

Let me know of any players/teams you wish to see added!
BallState1984

PostPosted: 10/07/06 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sternvogel wrote:
Curry also had open try outs one year. It brought her Crystal Vander Plaats and Brea Williams. This is done frequently by lots of coaches.

That's a blast from the past! I had completly forgotten about those two young ladies and now that your jarred my memory, I now wonder whatever came of them?

I think this is a good move.

Michael

PostPosted: 10/07/06 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:

What are you talking about? I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to someone else about previous walkons? You are truly becoming scary thinking everything revolves around you. I would not have bothered responding to your insane rant, but why you called me out when I never mentioned anything about the ESPN boards just boggles the mind. I really wonder what delusions you are under. your inability to read and comprehend is absolutely staggering for somoene that claims to be a college graduate, even if from a second rate school.

Michael

PostPosted: 10/08/06 9:13 am    ::: Rant on... Reply Reply with quote

Look in the mirror buddy....

Never once have I criticized the academic reputation of PU. It is an excellent school that ranks high on the academic scale. It's just disappointing that you don't utilize that excellent education you received to its maximum. Your analytical skills reek of rancor, your postings frequently contain misspellings and reflect someone who seems to believe the world begins and ends at the Indiana border....dream on. You revel in personal attacks on players (which are usually beyond analyzing game performance) and wallow in negativity.

I have 2 degrees from esteemed academic institutions--but even if they were from 3rd rate schools I'd have more manners than you usually display on any message boards where I've read your postings.

Whenever you see that I've posted anything anywhere I use my "miatamama" moniker you go out of your way to engage in some level of personal criticism or sarcasm. Don't talk to me about delusion--you are the master of that.

I'm not the only one who feels as Howard Beale in NETWORK did: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!" Many of us out here are sick of your vitriolic lunacy and refuse to sit back and let it go unanswered. I'm not going to sit back this wbb season without responding to your stuff.

Try being a little positive for a change--try going outside and looking at the real world. College wbb players are STUDENTS first and bb players 2nd. They are the daughters of people who love them and want them to succeed in the tough world of college sports AND academics. They WANT to win--they throw their hearts and souls into winning and commit themselves to winning. Try thinking of that before you blast away at them or anyone else who just happens to remember that.

PostPosted: 10/08/06 9:17 am    ::: Thank you BallState... Reply Reply with quote

Thank you BallState.....Objectivity is lacking in so much of this....asking a question somehow gets twisted into some deep dark conspiratorial thing. In the original postings on this subject I was just posing questions looking for information and history on the subject. People need to stop trying to read evil intent into simple questions.

PostPosted: 10/08/06 11:11 am    ::: Re: Rant on... Reply Reply with quote

miatamama wrote:
Look in the mirror buddy....

Never once have I criticized the academic reputation of PU. It is an excellent school that ranks high on the academic scale. It's just disappointing that you don't utilize that excellent education you received to its maximum. Your analytical skills reek of rancor, your postings frequently contain misspellings and reflect someone who seems to believe the world begins and ends at the Indiana border....dream on. You revel in personal attacks on players (which are usually beyond analyzing game performance) and wallow in negativity.

I have 2 degrees from esteemed academic institutions--but even if they were from 3rd rate schools I'd have more manners than you usually display on any message boards where I've read your postings.

Whenever you see that I've posted anything anywhere I use my "miatamama" moniker you go out of your way to engage in some level of personal criticism or sarcasm. Don't talk to me about delusion--you are the master of that.

I'm not the only one who feels as Howard Beale in NETWORK did: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!" Many of us out here are sick of your vitriolic lunacy and refuse to sit back and let it go unanswered. I'm not going to sit back this wbb season without responding to your stuff.

Try being a little positive for a change--try going outside and looking at the real world. College wbb players are STUDENTS first and bb players 2nd. They are the daughters of people who love them and want them to succeed in the tough world of college sports AND academics. They WANT to win--they throw their hearts and souls into winning and commit themselves to winning. Try thinking of that before you blast away at them or anyone else who just happens to remember that.

Hey Dumbo, why not address the fact that you called me out when I was not talking to you nor do I care what you post on the ESPN boards. You should put down that gun you keep trying to shoot at me, because you are only wounding your own feet.

PostPosted: 10/08/06 12:02 pm    ::: Again, look in the mirror Reply Reply with quote

Wow !!! One time you didn't misspell anything in a posting. Yes, that's something to marvel!

By the way, my feet are intact. Everyone knows you and your style.

PostPosted: 10/16/06 2:39 pm    ::: Purdue tryouts Reply Reply with quote

Read a story the other day in the local paper where the coach said she'd had around 7 (can't remember the exact number) of young women announce interest for tryouts. Also, lately have read stories about other Div I teams also announcing tryouts.

Good luck to all those who participate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: