RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Storm Fest 2006, or why SJU has a ways to go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/05/06 9:35 pm    ::: Storm Fest 2006, or why SJU has a ways to go Reply Reply with quote

St. John's had their Storm Fest tonight, during which fans were to meet the players for the men's and women's teams, watch BOTH teams scrimmage, and get free stuff.

Well, starting anything on a college campus with free food is a one-way ticket to a mess. The organization was awful. I got there at six, and it took me until quarter of seven to get my BBQ, shirt, and sundry desserts. Everything was in one big lump with no discernable order. Woo. Confused

As for the oncourt stuff, they really didn't do that great a job on that either. The introductions were nice, although the hosts did spend an awful lot of time talking about the way the men's program is going to rise and not enough about the women's program that's, y'know, already rising, what with the preseason ranking and all. We got to see Angela, Monique, and Angel shake their groove thangs with frosh Victoria Hodges and (I think) one of the little Aricos. There was an interesting shootout that had 8 three-person teams, one male player, one female player, and one student- Tiina Sten's team, with freshman Larry Wright, won that. I found out that freshman Nikki Jo Rotolo has a sweet, beautiful stroke. dts, your girl has got to get that hitch out of her shot. It's really ugly.

Ordinarily, I'd tell you more about how my team looked, and I'd love to. Except I don't know how they look. See, between the trivia contests (which had to go to OT because the first question had its answers plastered all over the wall, what with it being the BEast conference members), the shootout going to OT, and the four separate dance numbers with the cheerleaders and/or dance team, they couldn't quite find time to fit in the women's scrimmage, because Goddess forbid they end late.

Well, it's either that or they ran the scrimmage after thanking everyone for coming and saying that the players were available for autographs, in which case I'm also going to be pissed off. I'm going to wait for the recap tomorrow, and then fire off an angry e-mail.

*sigh* Y'know, I would have thought an NCAA tournament appearance would change things for the better. Clearly we've got a way to go.

PostPosted: 10/06/06 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

be patient; at least they did something and included the women's team. Too many schools don't do that even.

Disappointing I'm sure, but look at the bright side, there's room for improvement.

We, on the other hand, no longer have a separate UConn women event, on a weekend, and now have a Friday evening 6:00 event BEFORE the men's event, so it will be chaos everywhere.

SJU is trying to move forward, UConn is taking a step back.

hooper1

PostPosted: 10/06/06 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
be patient; at least they did something and included the women's team. Too many schools don't do that even.

Disappointing I'm sure, but look at the bright side, there's room for improvement.

We, on the other hand, no longer have a separate UConn women event, on a weekend, and now have a Friday evening 6:00 event BEFORE the men's event, so it will be chaos everywhere.

SJU is trying to move forward, UConn is taking a step back.

Or just say it like is and complain because the women athletes were pushed to the side in lieu of men and cheerleaders. No need for patience. That will get you no where. Write a letter complaining so at least they'll know someone noticed and cared.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: