RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

My Preseason FF - Looking for feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sub4miler

PostPosted: 09/29/06 5:42 pm    ::: My Preseason FF - Looking for feedback Reply Reply with quote

Possible starting line-ups for MY final four this year

These are just my picks and who I think might start. I would love to hear what any other fans/opponents think about their team (I'm sure there will be many of these you might change), so here's the list:

1. UT Lady Vols (I can't pick any other team during the pre-season) Key Player in CAPS

Cait McMahan G 5-4 FR
Alexis Hornbuckle G 5-11 JR
Sidney Spencer F 6-3 SR
CANDACE PARKER G/F/C 6-4 So
Nicky Anosike F-C 6-4 JR
* No proven Point Gaurd, S. Bobbitt could start as well, however 2-4 positions have all shown they can play wiht anyone. CP3 & Alexis Hornbuckle will be a huge 1-2 punch.

2. Maryland

KRISTI TOLIVER G 5'7 SO
Shay Doron G 5'9 SR
Marissa Coleman G-F 6'1 SO
Laura Harper F-C 6'4 JR
Crystal Langhorne C-F 6'2 JR
* Best 1-5 having a solid player and confidence of winning a national championship, also think this could hurt them this yr w/ the pressure. SWG will be an interesting mix come Jan. and Marissa Coleman is a star in the making, well so is KT and CL. Foul trouble could hurt them this year, IMHO.

3. UGA

Janese Hardrick G 5'6 SR
Cori Chambers G 5'9 SR
Rebecca Rowsey F 6'3 JR
TASHA HUMPHREY F 6'3 JR
Angel Robinson F 6'5 RFR
* No centers on their roster (hum) but I guess Angel will fill that void. With Megdan Darrah or R. Rowsey coming off the bench this team is very deep and talented on paper. Ashley Houts has been talked about a lot lately and she could also add to the depth. Tasha Humphrey has one of the smoothest jump shoots in the game, I might get slack for this, but she is way under-rated IMO, this year will be her year with her taking a beating last year with so many injuries. This team WILL make the final four!

4. UCONN

RENEE MONTGOMERY G 5’7 SO
Mel Thomas G 5’9 JR
Charde Houston F 6’1 JR
Brittany Hunter C/F 6’3 JR
Tina Charles C 6’4 FR
* This team may struggle at first, but if Charles, Hunter and Charde can all work together late in the year, this team is stacked. I think the trio of guards (with Ketia S.) could one of the best back courts in the nation. I think this team is an upgrade from last year’s squad and only problem could be leadership w/o any seniors.

I posted on another board, but thought I could get more views here as well, thanks!

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 09/29/06 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting choices, but no way Geno will start Charde, Tina and Brittany all together. Look for Kalana Greene to start at the small forward position, or even Tahiriah Williams.

mikey87

PostPosted: 09/30/06 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I totally agree with GA, Tasha played out of position her first 2 years in college and she was also hampered by injuries but she is close to 100 % and so are the rest of the ladies, and Angel she can play both PF and C so Tasha will also be able to get some much deserved rest. I think this is the year GA has all of it's players healthy which will go a long way in determining how far my DAWGS will make it.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/30/06 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn over UNC? Hmmm...not in the preseason.

Georgia over Stanford? Not in the preseason.

sub4miler

PostPosted: 09/30/06 4:51 pm    ::: CAM? Reply Reply with quote

Not to call you out, I totally feel half of what you're saying... But Doesn't UGA seem to have more exp. and depth than Stanford early?

I think UNC would give the Huskies probelms early, but I think they would come through if they had to meet before the final four... Of course after last year, most will depend on match-ups and the brackets...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 09/30/06 7:09 pm    ::: Re: CAM? Reply Reply with quote

sub4miler wrote:
Not to call you out, I totally feel half of what you're saying... But Doesn't UGA seem to have more exp. and depth than Stanford early?

Georgia lost its starting backcourt. Stanford made major upgrades up front and returns its two stars, Smith and Wiggins.

mikey87

PostPosted: 09/30/06 9:05 pm    ::: Re: CAM? Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
sub4miler wrote:

Georgia lost its starting backcourt. Stanford made major upgrades up front and returns its two stars, Smith and Wiggins.

Why does everyone try to use us losing Baker and Kendrick as an excuse im not worried because opposing teams fans clearly have'nt seen our group of guards play ALOT, I along with most GA fans know what to expect out of them.

sub4miler

PostPosted: 09/30/06 9:39 pm    ::: I just think UGA will surprise most.... Reply Reply with quote

Hardrick and Chambers are both expierenced seniors with Hardrick adding speed and an outside shot and although sometimes streaky, Chambers is pretty smooth. Word on Houts is she is something special and can be a mini-version of Baker. I am not as up to par with a lot of the West Coast schools, but I think UGA is going to turn heads this year more than pre-season polls suggest. But thanks for the heads up on the Cardinals backcourt, it will be a very exciting year.

bullsky

PostPosted: 09/30/06 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Georgia's guards are good, but depth is my worry. They have a lot of freshman. The one I think Andy could rely on most is Ashley Houts. I think she could bring the much needed defense. Also, Chambers has been very inconsistant. I'd like to see her take a leadership role.

Overall, I think Georgia will be good. Final four good? I'm not sure...

PostPosted: 09/30/06 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lot of teams have questions. I wouldn't underestimate the impact of having Darrah (6'3) moving to the 3. When Darrah was a freshman, Landers had her running point very early in the season before he had to move her to the post. I doubt that will happen this year, but a front line of 6-3 (Darrah), 6-3 (Humphrey) and 6-5 (Robinson) will give Georgia a different look.

Hardrick and Chambers(even though she holds two, including the all-time mark, of the top five single season made threes marks in UGA history) are inconsistent, but Baker was just as inconsistent before her senior year.

It all depends on how the freshman perform and if the seniors step up and lead the team.

My preseason final four: UNC, Maryland, Oklahoma, and Stanford with UT, UCONN and UGA lurking.

PostPosted: 09/30/06 10:15 pm    ::: Re: CAM? Reply Reply with quote

mikey87 wrote:
Why does everyone try to use us losing Baker and Kendrick as an excuse im not worried because opposing teams fans clearly have'nt seen our group of guards play ALOT, I along with most GA fans know what to expect out of them.

Bake was your best perimeter defender, your best perimeter scorer, and one of your two top scorers. You don't think that is significant?

spikeybedhead

PostPosted: 10/02/06 12:47 pm    ::: have u thought about UNC? Reply Reply with quote

A core of Latta, Little, and Larkins is pretty good.

Miller, Pringle, McCants are a good supporting cast.

Sophomore forwards Dewitt, McFarland, and Breland (frosh) were all rated pretty well coming out of high school.

That's a bevy of forwards that Hatchell has at her disposal to run and rebound you to death. The only thing is, where's the 2G or any guards for that matter? I'm not convinced McCants can play effectively at the two spot (she's more of a 3)....and it seems like no one (based on the roster) can spell Latta when she gets tired (or faux-injured)---and we all know the offense gets gummy when she's out.

Stanford will be strong with Appel and Smith on the blocks and Wiggins at the 2. They also had a well-balanced recruiting class and hopefully filled the PG slot since Onwude is out.

Oklahoma will have a tough frontcourt--Thompson and Olajuwon will only make CP better.

And of course Maryland. They return everyone and add SWG.

I think once again, the race is wide open. Duke, UConn, UGA, Tenn and Ohio State should challenge. The one team that'll be interesting for me to see will be Texas.

Last edited by spikeybedhead on 10/06/06 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zakiwi

PostPosted: 10/06/06 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to compare line-ups, except that I think 3 of your 4 choices will probably not be in the Final Four.

Much likely: Maryland, Stanford, Oklahoma, UNC

Also in the Elite Eight: Duke, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State

Sweet Sixteen: Purdue, Tennessee, UConn, Arizona State, Rutgers, Michigan State, Southern Cal, Baylor

Okay, let the debating begin!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/06/06 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you think Tennessee is a Sweet 16 team, you are smoking crack. They have the best player in college basketball and that alone makes them a Final Four contender.

Michigan State, Baylor, and Southern Cal won't make it that far. None of those teams has a player that anybody gives a damn about and all of those teams are missing key pieces to make that deep a run this season.

Mathies to LA 2013
shizanna

PostPosted: 10/06/06 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
If you think Tennessee is a Sweet 16 team, you are smoking crack.

Pretty much what bballfan said. They didn't lose a whole lot to the draft that they couldn't replace either. They've got shooters that can fill in for the hole left by Zolman and as for Fluker...well, Tennessee picked up this post player a while ago. Maybe you've heard of her. Shocked

I also wouldn't want to be playing UConn when the Charde Houston experiment finally breaks wide open. Shocked

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: