RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Draft Grades
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/24 8:42 am    ::: Draft Grades Reply Reply with quote

As always, I grade on a strict curve. There will be two As, two Bs, four Cs, two Ds, and two Fs.

ATLANTA C

The all-foreign-teenager draft is a choice. At least two are Aussies, who have a decent track record of showing up.

CHICAGO A

I'm a Bayou Barbie believer. Cardoso was the obvious pick at #3 for a reason.

CONNECTICUT F

There's a decent chance that none of these picks will ever play for the Sun.

DALLAS C

I like Sheldon a lot. I hate French teenagers more. Owusu could be an interesting project.

INDIANA B

Obvious pick is obvious. The others are camp fodder.

LAS VEGAS C

Kitley could be the steal of the draft if she's able to come back from her injury at full strength. Fair is an undersized guard who can't shoot but does so anyway, my least favorite kind of player.

LOS ANGELES A

Two high pick and nailed both. Apparently the Sparks have driven out all of Penny Toler's influence.

MINNESOTA F

I don't get it. Pili lacks the height to play in the post and the quickness to play on the wing. The Lynx are working on some other plane of evaluation from the rest of the world.

NEW YORK D

I picked Marquesha Davis as the last invitee to be selected and now I'm doubling down on my skepticism of her ability to play at this level. I certainly don't think any of their other picks will pan out.

PHOENIX C

Osborne was surely the best player remaining at #25 and even Shelley might make the roster.

SEATTLE D

Selling hard on Muhl. Gotta be willing to take the shots at this level.

WASHINGTON B

Edwards managed to be underrated despite playing at UConn. That's no mean feat. Truong has potential.

Last edited by pilight on 04/16/24 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/16/24 8:51 am    ::: Re: Draft Grades Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
As always, I grade on a strict curve. There will be two As, two Bs, four Cs, two Ds, and two Fs.

ATLANTA C

The all-foreign-teenager draft is a choice. At least two are Aussies, who have a decent track record of showing up.

CHICAGO A

CONNECTICUT F

DALLAS C

I like Sheldon a lot. I hate French teenagers more. Owusu could be an interesting project.

INDIANA B

LAS VEGAS C

Kitley could be the steal of the draft if she's able to come back from her injury at full strength. Fair is an undersized guard who can't shoot but does so anyway, my least favorite kind of player.

LOS ANGELES A

Two high pick and nailed both. Apparently the Sparks have driven out all of Penny Toler's influence.

MINNESOTA F

I don't get it. Pili lacks the height to play in the post and the quickness to play on the wing. The Lynx are working on some other plane of evaluation from the rest of the world.

NEW YORK D

I picked Marquesha Davis as the last invitee to be selected and now I'm doubling down on my skepticism of her ability to play at this level. I certainly don't think any of their other picks will pan out.

PHOENIX C

Osborne was surely the best player remaining at #25 and even Shelley might make the roster.

WASHINGTON B

Edwards managed to be underrated despite playing at UConn. That's no mean feat. Truong has potential.

Seattle got the other D??

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/16/24 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i thought lynx woulda/coulda/shoulda taken muhl, but Pili could work out to be a great 6th or 7th woman type rotational piece.

it is just strange with the 3s-4s-5s on the roster they went with another 3-4-5 type option.
then i always think, ok maybe there are trade talks in the works?

jmvcity

PostPosted: 04/16/24 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the biggest losers this year are the new fans. After 25-plus years of "affordable" game tickets, they're in for a rude awakening at the box office this season. In some games, what used to be $25 seats are now $75 (at least). Still cheaper than NBA seats, but at least the fans will get to see great players on the court, and that's a big win.

Last edited by jmvcity on 04/16/24 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/16/24 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
I think the biggest losers this year are the new fans. After 25+ plus years of "affordable" game tickets, they're in for a rude awakening at the box office this season. In some games, what used to be $25 seats are now $75 (at least). Still cheaper than NBA seats, but at least the fans will get to see great players on the court, and that's a big win.

I hadn't gotten around by buying tickets yet for when the Fever are in Chicago. So I looked last night - all sold out and the cheapest secondary market tickets are $195 Shocked

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/16/24 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
I think the biggest losers this year are the new fans. After 25-plus years of "affordable" game tickets, they're in for a rude awakening at the box office this season. In some games, what used to be $25 seats are now $75 (at least)...

If you're going to go by this logic, I would say that the biggest losers are the old fans; they're the ones who are going to experience the rate hike. The "new fans" don't know any different. Hell, the "new fans" seem to take it as a point of pride that the cult of personality that brought them here has led to higher prices, anyway.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/16/24 3:22 pm    ::: Re: Draft Grades Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:

ATLANTA C

CHICAGO A

CONNECTICUT F

DALLAS C

INDIANA B

LAS VEGAS C

LOS ANGELES A

MINNESOTA F

NEW YORK D

PHOENIX C

WASHINGTON B

Seattle got the other D??

We got a C , with all positive notes about each pick lol we addressed our main need PG and we got a C LOL Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/16/24 4:33 pm    ::: Re: Draft Grades Reply Reply with quote

Hmm..disagree on some of these.

Obviously Chicago got the most talent, but I think Vegas did the most with their picks.

Fair - 3rd in NCAA scoring. At some point it needs to be recognized.

Martin - the reality is, Clark didn’t get to two finals by herself. And it was Martin who made some of the biggest plays in the tournament for them (she is who beat UConn). She’s got size and skill and she’s an all around good player. Was always underrated.

And Kitley - lol. Really. We all just gave her to Vegas.

On another note, players like Muhl..much more so than superstar players are my biggest reasons for expansion. In the NBA the 3 and D role player is coveted, never mind one that can pass too. Yet we question if she’ll make a roster. Our league will get better when types of role players are valued building blocks too..instead of superstar…good overall player..end of bench bc we can’t afford anything else.

PostPosted: 04/16/24 4:42 pm    ::: Re: Draft Grades Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Please provide us with your grades

PostPosted: 04/16/24 5:31 pm    ::: Re: Draft Grades Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Please provide us with your grades

Atlanta - D-

One of the deepest drafts in years and you don’t walk away with a player who you can use this year. Bad. Only reason this isn’t an F is because at least Aussies show up sometimes.

Chicago - A

I still can’t believe Angel dropped to 7. But I think they got the 2nd and 3rd best player in the draft.

Connecticut- F

See Atlanta, except they get the F because they didn’t pick Aussies.

Dallas - C

Sheldon is a good player, but there were better players available. That French girl’s highlights looked fantastic, but I doubt we see her.

Indiana - B

They got CC so it doesn’t matter though.

Vegas - A

Vegas did the best in this draft for how high their picks were.

LA - B+

I think Brink will be a little too soft for the WNBA and there were better choices available. I think Jackson will be a very good WNBA player, but I think players who are better were drafted later.

Minnesota - C

Tbh, I haven’t seen Pili, but she was effective in college

New York - D

They had two good players available to fit their biggest need (defensive backup PG) and went with a position they have plenty of. Okay.

Phoenix - A

Their first pick was in the third round and managed to draft someone invited. I know they lucked into that, but again..it’s getting more than you expected.

Washington - B

As of late, Uconn posts have been better in the W than they were in college. Aaliyah has a lot to her game, and should be a solid WNBa starter. Again though, I think Angel will be better.

Seattle - B

They got a player who wasn’t supposed to be available. Nika is an interesting player, though I tend to agree that her success is going to come
Down to whether she’s willing to take her open shots. In fact, Most don’t even know this, but she has an excellent midrange jumper too - she just doesn’t take it.

PostPosted: 04/16/24 6:39 pm    ::: Re: Draft Grades Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Fair - 3rd in NCAA scoring. At some point it needs to be recognized.

Pffff...more like poeple need to stop bringing it up. Yes, she finished 3rd in scoring...IN FIVE YEARS!!!

If she would have only played 4 like every other person on that list (except for Joens, who also deserves an asterisk), she wouldn't even be in the Top 50. I'm not saying it was a bad pick but I also don't think she or Martin have a chance at this roster, TBH.

PostPosted: 04/17/24 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA does not need more role players like Nika Muhl. The WNBA needs more dynamic stars like Caitlin Clark and JuJu Watkins.

Nobody pays to see Herbert Jones guard Steph Curry and LeBron James in back-to-back games and knock down the occasional corner three. They pay to see Steph and LeBron. Nobody turns on the TV to watch Kentavious Caldwell-Pope play great perimeter D; they turn on the TV to watch Nikola Jokic.

If the elite talent is too thinly spread across the league, it will be too easy for teams to defend and contain that elite talent. (If Caitlin Clark, say, is the only perimeter threat for a team, then it's a lot easier to keep her from doing anything spectacular than if there are two other shooters around her.)

Hey, I love the gritty grind-it-out players, and as a coach, I want them on the court. But if there's a choice between a player like that and a player who can score, my desire to win takes precedence.

PostPosted: 04/17/24 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TIL there are people who would rather add Clark to their roster than Muhl.

PostPosted: 04/17/24 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The WNBA does not need more role players like Nika Muhl. The WNBA needs more dynamic stars like Caitlin Clark and JuJu Watkins.

Nobody pays to see Herbert Jones guard Steph Curry and LeBron James in back-to-back games and knock down the occasional corner three. They pay to see Steph and LeBron. Nobody turns on the TV to watch Kentavious Caldwell-Pope play great perimeter D; they turn on the TV to watch Nikola Jokic.

If the elite talent is too thinly spread across the league, it will be too easy for teams to defend and contain that elite talent. (If Caitlin Clark, say, is the only perimeter threat for a team, then it's a lot easier to keep her from doing anything spectacular than if there are two other shooters around her.)

Hey, I love the gritty grind-it-out players, and as a coach, I want them on the court. But if there's a choice between a player like that and a player who can score, my desire to win takes precedence.

That’s not my point.

My point is the WNBA does have plenty of stars. We have two to three per team, with loaded college talent coming (though obviously some of the old guard will be replaced.) in fact we have a much higher rate of stars per team than the NBA does.

The problem is the lack of team building/team construction after that. Players that fit a specific role that lets a team run smooth.

Generally because of the cap, we end up with Stars and good “all around” players in the cheap. It’s rare to have a Rodman or in modern NBA a Dray or Grayson Allen.

Teams play better basketball with those type of players. And they obviously exist, but the roster spots make it difficult for them to stick.

PostPosted: 04/17/24 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grades from Voepel

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39951758/wnba-draft-2024-grading-caitlin-clark-indiana-fever-every-team

Worst grade is a C+

PostPosted: 04/17/24 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/2024-wnba-draft-grades/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 04/17/24 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/2024-wnba-draft-grades/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/22/24 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugggh, Wings should get an F. Sheldon is a tweener. 3.5 assists in college does not make a WNBA pg. the 2 is covered w Arike and Lou Lopez. Where and when exactly is she gonna play? Are they gonna start her over Dangermouse and Burton? Why not sign Odyssey who is coming off a 2nd place AU showing and is from the DFW?

Leaving Edwards on the table is dumb, and the Wings are gonna regret it especially when playing the Mystics. Sabally signed for 1 year. I believe Howard’s contract is up after this year. Sabally just had shoulder surgery. The Wings have 3 centers. Howard and Sabally, if Sabally is able to play and produce given she had SHOULDER SURGERY. Sabally last year played at the 3. This year then there is Howard and a hampered Sabally to play 3 and 4 w siegrist as a backup. Next year both Sa and Howard could be gone. The Wings will go into the draft with a critical need of power forward, and they through away Aliyah Edwards to get a 3rd in line 2/pg who is not truly a pg.

Now mind you, the Wings had the 9th pick and coulda got Dyasia or Muhl or Osborne w/o choosing a tweener to serve as pg.

Don’t know where all the love for Sheldon comes from. In my book the Wings get an F.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/23/24 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree about Sheldon. Edwards or Reese is much the better pick.

That said, AU doesn't really say much. It's just glorified pickup, and it doesn't really translate well.

PostPosted: 04/23/24 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Ugggh, Wings should get an F. Sheldon is a tweener. 3.5 assists in college does not make a WNBA pg. the 2 is covered w Arike and Lou Lopez. Where and when exactly is she gonna play? Are they gonna start her over Dangermouse and Burton? Why not sign Odyssey who is coming off a 2nd place AU showing and is from the DFW?

Leaving Edwards on the table is dumb, and the Wings are gonna regret it especially when playing the Mystics. Sabally signed for 1 year. I believe Howard’s contract is up after this year. Sabally just had shoulder surgery. The Wings have 3 centers. Howard and Sabally, if Sabally is able to play and produce given she had SHOULDER SURGERY. Sabally last year played at the 3. This year then there is Howard and a hampered Sabally to play 3 and 4 w siegrist as a backup. Next year both Sa and Howard could be gone. The Wings will go into the draft with a critical need of power forward, and they through away Aliyah Edwards to get a 3rd in line 2/pg who is not truly a pg.

Now mind you, the Wings had the 9th pick and coulda got Dyasia or Muhl or Osborne w/o choosing a tweener to serve as pg.

Don’t know where all the love for Sheldon comes from. In my book the Wings get an F.

Who says shes going to make the team ? Who also says she gets minutes Laughing Laughing I get it you want a reaction from me by bashing the wings , but let it go . We don't care Laughing Laughing Aaliyah Edwards was never on our radar we need guards we have bigs specifically a POINT GUARD that's Big aka 5'10 Jacey Sheldon Cool You also realize we only have enough cap space to keep 1 rookie right ? So yes sheldon may have been there at 9 but we can only sign 1 newbie so why not take her at 5 because she was our PRIORITY since day one. That french player at #9 you will not see this season whomever we chose at #9 would not be seen this season so what are you saying ?

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 04/23/24 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/23/24 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I agree about Sheldon. Edwards or Reese is much the better pick.

That said, AU doesn't really say much. It's just glorified pickup, and it doesn't really translate well.

You agree about sheldon >? Ive been telling you ALL since the season ended who we were going for and now you act as though its a shocking pick ? What ?

Look at this depth chart .

Kalani Brown 6'7
Emma Cannon 6'2
Natasha Howard 6'4
Teaira McCowan 6'7
Satou Sabally 6'4
Maddy Siegrist 6'2
Stephanie Soares 6'6

What in hell do we need with another post like Angel or Aaliyah ?

Guards
Veronica Burton 5'9
Crystal Dangerfield 5'5
Lou Lopez-Senechal 5'10 even though she's listed as 6'1 incorrectly.
Arike Ogunbowale 5'8
Jacey Sheldon 5'10

I remember a time where folks ragged on us for picking Mabrey and you see what she became as a wing versus being in Chicago .....People want to bring up sheldon''s 3.5 APG but do not realize she's going to be playing with BETTER players aka Arike , Satou , Natasha , T-Mac way more options.

PostPosted: 04/23/24 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, I've never liked drafting for need.

Second, I think the Wings could find a backup just as accomplished as Sheldon on the open market.

Third, Emma Cannon is 34.

Finally, if you have too many good players, you can trade one for what you need.

Now, that said, Sheldon could come in and be just what the doctor ordered, and Edwards could be a bust.

The move makes sense on some levels, but I think a lot of people have serious doubts about Sheldon's ability to step into a WNBA backcourt and contribute more than a generic American who's doing well in Europe.

PostPosted: 04/24/24 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Second, I think the Wings could find a backup just as accomplished as Sheldon on the open market.

Finally, if you have too many good players, you can trade one for what you need.

Now, that said, Sheldon could come in and be just what the doctor ordered, and Edwards could be a bust.

The move makes sense on some levels, but I think a lot of people have serious doubts about Sheldon's ability to step into a WNBA backcourt and contribute more than a generic American who's doing well in Europe.

Folks know Sheldon has the ability more than any guard in this draft not named CC. Hell Nika Muhl was in this draft and we had 0 interest.

PostPosted: 04/24/24 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Folks know Sheldon has the ability more than any guard in this draft not named CC. Hell Nika Muhl was in this draft and we had 0 interest.

Being better than Nika Muhl is hardly a ringing endorsement ...

But you could be right about Sheldon. She did well in a relatively tough league.

PostPosted: 04/28/24 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

Who says shes going to make the team ? Who also says she gets minutes Laughing Laughing I get it you want a reaction from me by bashing the wings , but let it go . We don't care Laughing Laughing Aaliyah Edwards was never on our radar we need guards we have bigs specifically a POINT GUARD that's Big aka 5'10 Jacey Sheldon Cool You also realize we only have enough cap space to keep 1 rookie right ? So yes sheldon may have been there at 9 but we can only sign 1 newbie so why not take her at 5 because she was our PRIORITY since day one. That french player at #9 you will not see this season whomever we chose at #9 would not be seen this season so what are you saying ?

Dude, where am I bashing you? Are you Greg Bibb? I am bashing the dumb-assery that is Bibb. And like I mused about Sabally’s shoulder before, he should’ve known., I’ve never seen someone have shoulder surgery and resume play in 3 months-let alone return to 100%. Now the Wings don’t have Saball until after the Olympic break, who are they gonna play there-sea-breeze?

And like I said Sheldon is a tweener. She’s not even a true pg. wtf are you drafting someone for who gets 3.5 assists per game in college as your pg. that shouldn’t be in the assessment. It shouldn’t matter!!! Bibb knew his situation in the front court. 3 centers and Howard and Sabally who aren’t committed beyond this year. Oh, and again, he knew Sabally had shoulder surgery like 2 months ago.

It’s stupid in a deep draft that you’re not taking potential superstars in Edwards or Reese. Yes, Angel has question marks but watching Iowa v. LSU, you could feel the difference after she reinjured her ankle. The girl has some sort of super power.

Just watch next year in The draft when ESPN commentators are gonna be saying that the Wings need to shore up their backcourt.

Oh, and how do we keep number 9, let her compete for a spot. Soares was not impressive in the FIBAs. And she’s the 3rd center. Maybe draft someone, bring them to camp and let them compete for a spot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: