RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/11/24 7:44 am    ::: Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

Are there any ways for the W to capitalize on the surge in popularity of women's college basketball?
pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/24 8:16 am    ::: Re: Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Are there any ways for the W to capitalize on the surge in popularity of women's college basketball?

If there are it's a safe bet that the W will fumble them like they always do

PostPosted: 04/11/24 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Need more roster spots and teams

boogiezen

PostPosted: 04/11/24 7:58 pm    ::: Re: Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

BETTER coverage.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/12/24 12:29 pm    ::: Re: Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

That seems to be the prevailing S.O.P. from other WCBB season spikes in popularity. I'm hoping with the current leadership, things can be different. I cross my fingers and my toes.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/12/24 12:31 pm    ::: Re: Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

BETTER coverage.

What would you consider better coverage? Are we talking broadcast network, social media, print media, what?
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/12/24 1:27 pm    ::: Re: Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

It's a positive start that they've got Indiana on national TV a load of times in Clark's rookie season. That's a basic thing that they've screwed up (or ESPN has) so many times with stars coming out of college. Counting the ION games makes the numbers they're shouting from the rooftops a bit exaggerated, but there are a bunch on ESPN/ABC and NBA TV too.

Next step, another basic one: Have a warehouse full of 'Clark' Fever jerseys for people to buy starting on Monday night from the second she's drafted.

PostPosted: 04/12/24 1:49 pm    ::: Re: Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

It's a positive start that they've got Indiana on national TV a load of times in Clark's rookie season. That's a basic thing that they've screwed up (or ESPN has) so many times with stars coming out of college. Counting the ION games makes the numbers they're shouting from the rooftops a bit exaggerated, but there are a bunch on ESPN/ABC and NBA TV too.

Next step, another basic one: Have a warehouse full of 'Clark' Fever jerseys for people to buy starting on Monday night from the second she's drafted.

I know people like to discredit Ion because it’s kind of a budget channel but the numbers were on par of not better than most ESPN games. I’d like to know what the true engagement with the broadcasts are but I’m looking forward to the pre and post shows.

But I guess you are right since their “national” game is often really a regional pick up.

I’d say the biggest thing needs to be a better broadcast. A lot of the regional broadcasts that places like Ion and Amazon simulcast are embarrassingly bad. It’s hard to get excited about a “national” game when you’re hamstrung by the poor quality local Indy broadcast.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/12/24 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league and networks better hope Clark comes close to living up to the hype. It's not a given that she's an instant star.

PostPosted: 04/12/24 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The league and networks better hope Clark comes close to living up to the hype. It's not a given that she's an instant star.

As long as people tune in for a bit that can work as well, though. Basically "Look! This player you all thought was the second coming isn't as good as a bunch of players we already have! Maybe pay some attention to them as well while you're here."

PostPosted: 04/12/24 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

As long as people tune in for a bit that can work as well, though. Basically "Look! This player you all thought was the second coming isn't as good as a bunch of players we already have! Maybe pay some attention to them as well while you're here."

That presupposes that all of the people who are following Caitlin Clark to the WNBA are doing so because they actually like women's basketball. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
tfan

PostPosted: 04/13/24 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LeBron James credits ‘icons’ like Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, Paige Bueckers for women’s college basketball popularity

The have a photo with that article that shows listed 6'0" Clark and listed 6'3" Reese right next to each other. Unfortunately Clark is bending her legs to some extent, but Reese looks big next to her. Or maybe she makes Clark look small.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/13/24 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve been impressed with WNBA leadership. It seems to have been a good move to get a business person. The game has steadily grown, and hopefully this draft class helps explode it.

They need to do more than just market Clark too. Angel has done more than anyone wants to talk about. She’s got the most social media followers and engagements. And she’s been the most visible the past few days promoting herself. She seems to understand where her money is going to come from better than the rest of the players - but definitely don’t lose momentum with her either.

PostPosted: 04/13/24 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Let her shoot whatever she wants. Isn't that why people are excited to see her play? I need Sides just to give her the green light. Let her shoot and be a playmaker. Don't confine her.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
jap

PostPosted: 04/14/24 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
LeBron James credits ‘icons’ like Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, Paige Bueckers for women’s college basketball popularity

The have a photo with that article that shows listed 6'0" Clark and listed 6'3" Reese right next to each other. Unfortunately Clark is bending her legs to some extent, but Reese looks big next to her. Or maybe she makes Clark look small.

LeBron is correct. The NBA was in serious trouble with respect to general interest from sports fans until Larry Bird and Magic Johnson brought their collegiate rivalry to the pros. The NBA administrators realized that the most effective way to market the league was by marketing the biggest stars. Of course, this requires the kind of stars who can capture the public imagination.

Can Caitlin, Angel, Cameron, Kamilla, Aaliyah and other rookies capture the public imagination and, in turn, shed light on the talent of the incumbent WNBA vets?

PostPosted: 04/17/24 12:27 pm    ::: Re: Huge Surge of Support for Women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Whether they had a boatload or not, I'm not privy to. However, it has been reported that they did, in fact, sell out of all her jerseys, in like a day, I think.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/17/24 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody else's social media timeline (Facebook in my case) being inundated with W hype relating to the rooks? Mine is. From people I would have never guessed had an interest in women's basketball at all.
jmh1982

PostPosted: 04/17/24 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

That presupposes that all of the people who are following Caitlin Clark to the WNBA are doing so because they actually like women's basketball. I wouldn't be too quick to assume that.

Does it? If anything it suggests that they show up only for CC, but stick around because in the process of following her they actually realize that they like watching the women's game.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/17/24 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yesterday and again today, I overheard 3 co-workers talking about the draft, Clark, her salary, and women's bball in general. I don't think that I've ever heard these three talk about sports, much less women's bball.

So, yeah, I'd say the interest is there, if the W can build on it.[/i]

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/17/24 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Yesterday and again today, I overheard 3 co-workers talking about the draft, Clark, her salary, and women's bball in general. I don't think that I've ever heard these three talk about sports, much less women's bball.

I'm cautiously optimistic this could be the start of something we've all waited a long time to see.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/18/24 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I'm cautiously optimistic this could be the start of something we've all waited a long time to see.

One of the things that is happening is that engagement with women is up. CC’s fan base appears to be the Swifties Laughing but in general, the amount of women talking about draft day fashion, saying they want to watch a team, posting about the wnba on social media etc.. is a significant increase.

One major change is parasocial marketing. That’s really effective marketing for women, and the college/incoming wnba players are REALLY good at it. Obviously Clark is a major reason, but the Clark explosion doesn’t happen without social media marketing.

PostPosted: 04/18/24 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see if the fair weather fans evolve into real fans. Maybe some of the veteran WNBA players with some star power can take advantage of the type of corporate sponsorships that Caitlin and Angel are enjoying to supplement their relatively meager WNBA earnings.

PostPosted: 04/18/24 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I totally blanked on the exposure that social media afforded these young ladies. It is apparently a very successful marketing tool depending on the viability and draw of your content. (Are you paying attention W and individual team marketing departments?)
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/18/24 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Yeah I totally blanked on the exposure that social media afforded these young ladies. It is apparently a very successful marketing tool depending on the viability and draw of your content. (Are you paying attention W and individual team marketing departments?)

It’s crazy, there has always been the debate about marketing and how women should support the league but men are primarily sports fans etc..

The W was never marketing to women the right way. Parasocial marketing is king with women and these young women are amazing at it.. which leads to other content creators creating about them. The amount of draft day fashion videos and Paige Bueckers edits I’ve seen are astronomical..and Angel is always unboxing something fancy.

PostPosted: 04/19/24 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

It’s crazy, there has always been the debate about marketing and how women should support the league but men are primarily sports fans etc..

The W was never marketing to women the right way. Parasocial marketing is king with women and these young women are amazing at it.. which leads to other content creators creating about them. The amount of draft day fashion videos and Paige Bueckers edits I’ve seen are astronomical..and Angel is always unboxing something fancy.

Lets hope the W gets the message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: