RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NBA, WNBA MEDIA RIGHTS BETTER OFF SOLD TOGETHER: ADAM SILVER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/11/24 1:57 pm    ::: NBA, WNBA MEDIA RIGHTS BETTER OFF SOLD TOGETHER: ADAM SILVER Reply Reply with quote

https://www.sportico.com/business/media/2024/nba-wnba-media-rights-sold-together-separate-1234774937/

Quote:
“I think it’s in the leagues’ interest to the extent we can do integrated deals,” Silver said, so “the NBA promotes into the WNBA season and the WNBA promotes into the NBA [season], and we can all talk about basketball.”

This will ensure that almost everything goes to the NBA while the W gets crumbs. The women will always be an afterthought as long as they remain affiliated with the NBA.

PostPosted: 04/11/24 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In 2014 the NBA appeared to use NBA broadcasting rights to get a better WNBA deal. The NBA TV rights were coming up and ESPN paid a lot more for the WNBA than appeared warranted just on how WNBA ratings were (they had been higher in the 2000s). And the new contract removed a requirement to broadcast a minimum amount of games. It was stated that Richie and the NBA head had gone to ESPN to negotiate the new contract.

Quote:
Although the financial terms of the deal were not stated by ESPN or the WNBA, Sports Business Daily reported that sources said the deal was worth $12 million a year. In 2014, ESPN and the WNBA renegotiated the television rights deal to $25 million per year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/12/24 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really hard to say how this will work out. It could be that pilight is right, and the W is an afterthought. On the other hand, it's possible that ESPN will be able to get more money for the W rights if it's part of the NBA deal.

Without sitting in the room, we can't really tell.

PostPosted: 04/12/24 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really hard to say how this will work out. It could be that pilight is right, and the W is an afterthought. On the other hand, it's possible that ESPN will be able to get more money for the W rights if it's part of the NBA deal.

Without sitting in the room, we can't really tell.

PostPosted: 04/12/24 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA leveraging their power to get a good deal for the W is great but I don’t like the ideal of bundling the rights since this next deal has the potential to be huge for the W and they desperately need that validation. It seems odd that Silver would want this now unless he recognizes the value of the rights and wants to use it to leverage rights for the men’s league. However, it will add to the NBA si sides the W trolls if the league cannot point to their own standalone value.

However, bundling could get the W on a platform like TNT. There are pluses and minuses but I’d like to see the W stand on its own.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: