RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Basketball 2023-2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boogiezen

PostPosted: 04/10/24 4:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine if DT is going to be cut in favor of Clark. The whole internet is going to burn. LOL.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/24 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's fair to say Clark is a lot less likely to beat her out than Jackie Youmg, Kelsey Plum or Sabrina Ionescu. Clark isn't at the level of those three quite yet.

PostPosted: 04/24/24 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.kcrg.com/2024/04/22/caitlin-clarks-early-play-wnba-will-be-her-tryout-roster-spot-us-olympic-womens-team/

Quote:
Caitlin Clark’s early play in WNBA will serve as her tryout for a spot on the U.S. Olympic women’s basketball team.

The women’s roster for the Paris Games won’t be determined before June 1. And after being unable to attend the U.S. training camp earlier this month, Clark will have the start of her WNBA career to show the U.S. women’s basketball selection committee whether she deserves a spot on the team.

Quote:
There were reports Clark potentially could have been part of the 3x3 team. but Clark has said her focus is playing on the 5-on-5 team.

“It’s where I want to be,” Clark told the AP last week. “Three-on-three is really cool, I’ve just never done it. But 5-on-5 is the goal and the dream. To play with the best in the world and against the best in the world, you can’t script it better than that.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
willtalk

PostPosted: 04/25/24 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Imagine if DT is going to be cut in favor of Clark. The whole internet is going to burn. LOL.
DT should not be on the team at all. Her and Birds sense of entittlement to hang on so long should be an embarrassment for them both.

PostPosted: 04/25/24 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
no particular order (kind of) the 17 players competing for 12 spots IMO

C. Gray/Plum/Clark
DT/Loyd/Ionescu/A. Gray/Atkins
Collier/Copper/J. Young/R. Howard
Stewart/Wilson/A. Thomas
Griner/Boston

You have the alumni factor (all the players who played in previous Olympics or Worlds)
Up and coming factors all the young player who are likely to be deep in the hunt for 28 as well
Directly have played for coach in the past (maybe Dawn is different from Geno but I count 3 from her college team)
Politics,
popularity,
brings diverse or import skill to team (shooting, defense, multi positional player, etc)
Currently plays with other team members built in chemistry

there are a lot of factors and I can't come up with a theory on what will actually happen. I have my opinions and my favorites but at this point who knows
all of the final cuts will be shocking to some degree and players will be screwed over or robbed and no matter who makes the final cut people will say X shouldn't be there and y should be

Six month ago I didn't think it was possible but the Clark train can't be stopped IMO
The committee won't say no to DT
C. Gray, Stewart, Wilson and Griner are locks
If Clark and DT are in only one of Plum or Ionescu make it IMO
Someone said that since Plum and Young were on 3x3 that could be a consolation prize and take them out of the running also Ionescu has the Stewart connect and is younger than Plum and will likely be around in 28 maybe even 32
Copper is the best defender and plays 2/3 and is now playing with Griner and DT
A. Gray can play 1, 2 or 3 and is another strong defender and Staley has to have some pull
Now it gets harder at least one of Collier or A. Thomas is definitely in (possibly both) but I still think Collier is higher in the depth chart
The Boston/Clark combo probably stays on the team through 32

C. Gray/Clark
DT/A. Gray/Ionescu
Stewart/Copper
Wilson/Collier
Griner/Boston

So that is 11, with Stewart really being a post the last spot can go to anyone if they go post it is A. Thomas but both Loyd and Atkins have Olympic team alumni status which has been important in the past, and R. Howard could be added to Clark and Boston as a trio that will probably be around for 24, 28 and 32
I do not think Atkins will make it over the other three

which leaves A. Thomas, R. Howard and Loyd fighting for the 12th spot

My heart says A. Thomas (but she feels like the type of player team USA often screws over in these situations)
My head say R. Howard with all the vets building a new youth core with Clark, Boston and Ionescu makes sense
and Loyalty says Loyd has earned her spot and done nothing to lose it

I think some will argue too early for Clark or A. Thomas and Loyd in Ionescu out

(I don't know how 3x3 team selection works but any of Loyd, Atkins, Howard or A. Thomas would be a great addition if Plum and Young are already there. Also if they needed a big C. Parker teaming up with her Aces teammates Young and Plum and one of the others above would be a great combo. I doubt Parker would be interested but it would be away for her to get back to the Olympics, but that is another topic).

Shades

PostPosted: 04/25/24 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AGray and RHoward are already in 3x3 camp.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/25/24 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I've read, the 3x3 team has to include two players ranked in the top-10 in the country, and two players in the top-50, so they can't just throw a random bunch together at the last minute and send them to Paris. Assuming FIBA's website is up to date, the top 10 currently includes Arica Carter, Cierra Burdick, Hailey Van Lith, Linnae Harper, Blake Dietrick and Cameron Brink. Bigger names get involved with the top-50, which includes Dearica Hamby, Rhyne Howard, Alexis Peterson, Lexie Hull, Allisha Gray, Katie Lou Samuelson, Kelsey Mitchell, Zia Cooke and Azura Stevens.

PostPosted: 04/25/24 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You might be able to spot AGray in this video. I think this group has the best odds of going to Paris.

<iframe width="640" height="960" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8EqQpf3R9Co?si=4agdel2DcnIog-eH" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/25/24 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if Howard and Gray go 3x3 then Young and Plum are probably back in the running

Now I have

C. Gray/Clark
DT/ Loyd
Stewart/Copper
Wilson/Collier or A. Thomas
Griner/Boston

Last two between who ever doesn’t make top Ten between Collier and Thomas, Young and one of Plum or Ionescu

This is really tough

If A. Gray is out I feel confident Loyd gets that spot. I think Loyd is higher up the team USA food chain than Plum or Ionescu and is a better defender than either and if DT and Clark are there which I now view as inevitable perimeter defense will fall to Copper and Loyd

I will go further and say last two spots are one of Plum or Ionescu
And one of Young or A. Thomas/Collier (who ever isn’t in the top 10 above)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/25/24 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baffled by the idea that Boston, who's had one pretty good WNBA season, is some kind of certainty while Alyssa Thomas, who's been an MVP candidate for multiple years and was the absolute best player and driving force on the USA World Champs team is some kind of 'maybe'.

PostPosted: 04/25/24 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Baffled by the idea that Boston, who's had one pretty good WNBA season, is some kind of certainty while Alyssa Thomas, who's been an MVP candidate for multiple years and was the absolute best player and driving force on the USA World Champs team is some kind of 'maybe'.

This could be right

But I have Boston being a possible center piece of the team in the future and playing 4 years and winning the tourney with the current head coach of team USA as factors

This is probably the hardest teams to predict. In the past alumni status always carried a lot of weight (except for the Parker Stewart situation) but it is not enough to seee Atkins or even Loyd as a lock. World alumni status doesn’t carry as much weight. You can definitely argue with hat Clark and Boston will have plenty of opportunity in the future but I do feel they have some inevitability going for them that some of the more deserving vets do not. Even though I think Clark has an amazing skill set that will translate to the international game I am including her because of the phenomenon around her at the visibility she will bring to the game more than anything’s my else. I only say that because there are many factors that lead to these decisions and we know because of the amazing l veil of talent not all factors are related to pure basketball on the court reasons. I hope that A. Thomas’ incredible play the last few years is enough to guarantee her a spot but I can see because of other factors her not being as sure of thing as others who we may not view as deserving of a spot. I hope I am wrong I have always been an A. Thomas fan.

I think there are many scenarios where both Thomas and Boston make it but I have Boston in before Thomas for other factors but would be happy to be wrong.

ATM I’ve got this as the 2024 team

C. Gray/Clark
DT/Loyd/Ionescu
Stewart/Copper
Wilson/Collier/A. Thomas
Griner/Boston

I just find the Plum and Young cuts hard

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/27/24 3:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

reeve is the coach now, but i don't think you're wrong - always a plethora of wings compared to actual centers.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/27/24 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I just find the Plum and Young cuts hard

It definitely wouldn’t be outrageous to put Young ahead of Copper and Plum ahead of Loyd. Loyd didn’t do herself any favors by doing her best impression of Ogunbowale last season. If that looks like it favors the Aces too much, so what? Lynx players were prevalent on Team USA when the Lynx were relevant.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/27/24 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
DT should not be on the team at all. Her and Birds sense of entittlement to hang on so long should be an embarrassment for them both.

A million times this. DT is nowhere near the level of everyone else even mentioned for inclusion. Whereas she at least used to move on defense, she now doesn't even make a pretense of defending anyone. On Offense, she stays outside the arc to either shoot or pass. She might get a long rebound if it happens to carrom into her.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 04/27/24 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
boogiezen wrote:

They shouldn't get all the blame. Takes two to tango and it's USA Basketball that has decided these aging stars can be on the team for as long as they are active (I assume Bird couldn't have been on the team this year, but that may not be the case). A lot of fans seem to like it as well. I doubt USA Basketball gets any significant pushback on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: