RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Connecticut vs #1 Iowa - 4/05/24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Iowa
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 13

bballnut901

PostPosted: 04/06/24 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
That was an awful final call. Let the players decide.

Nika had the game of her life. But Aaliyah was outplayed by Stulkie, and though both Clark and Paige were held down by defense, Clark did just enough to get a win. I’m impressed by the defense that was played on Paige, but part of it is her not going to the ball - she needs to learn that. That’s what Paige needs to learn for next season.

I thought Geno left Ice in too long for Shade. Ice didn’t play porky, but leads go away with her in the game.

Aaliyah and Nika are two of my favorites ever, and I’m sad they never got a ring - but I’m proud of the team for how far they got this year.

People bitch and bitch about calls NOT being made. Now when they call it, people bitch and bitch.

Yall can't have it both ways.

Maybe it isn't the officiating that is so bad, but the fans that all want it to go in their favor?

They weren’t calling moving screens all night, you can’t just suddenly call it.

That’s the thing about reffing - choose what you want to do. You gonna let them be physical? Cool. Let both be physical and don’t switch it up. Fouls by nature are interpretation because of you played by the rule on exactly, everyone fouls out.

Iowa started getting a ton of calls, and then that one bad one because they are the darling and Clark makes them money. Period.

That was a slight moving screen (she had stoped moving by the time the player made contact as the slow motion showed, though she did slide from her initial position). Iowa did the same all night.

Call it the same. That’s all anyone wants.

Can you name 2-3 examples of Iowa having moving screens last night and getting away with it? I don't recall Iowa having any moving screen that looked remotely similar to this.

Here's another angle, it wasn't a slight moving screen, it was a blatant one.
https://x.com/NancyLieberman/status/1776496014297280836

The right call was made. Take it on the nose and be proud of your girls for having a great season!

bballnut901

PostPosted: 04/06/24 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
That was an awful final call. Let the players decide.

Nika had the game of her life. But Aaliyah was outplayed by Stulkie, and though both Clark and Paige were held down by defense, Clark did just enough to get a win. I’m impressed by the defense that was played on Paige, but part of it is her not going to the ball - she needs to learn that. That’s what Paige needs to learn for next season.

I thought Geno left Ice in too long for Shade. Ice didn’t play porky, but leads go away with her in the game.

Aaliyah and Nika are two of my favorites ever, and I’m sad they never got a ring - but I’m proud of the team for how far they got this year.

People bitch and bitch about calls NOT being made. Now when they call it, people bitch and bitch.

Yall can't have it both ways.

Maybe it isn't the officiating that is so bad, but the fans that all want it to go in their favor?

They weren’t calling moving screens all night, you can’t just suddenly call it.

That’s the thing about reffing - choose what you want to do. You gonna let them be physical? Cool. Let both be physical and don’t switch it up. Fouls by nature are interpretation because of you played by the rule on exactly, everyone fouls out.

Iowa started getting a ton of calls, and then that one bad one because they are the darling and Clark makes them money. Period.

That was a slight moving screen (she had stoped moving by the time the player made contact as the slow motion showed, though she did slide from her initial position). Iowa did the same all night.

Call it the same. That’s all anyone wants.

Can you name 2-3 examples of Iowa having moving screens last night and getting away with it? I don't recall Iowa having any moving screen that looked remotely similar to this.

Here's another angle, it wasn't a slight moving screen, it was a blatant one.
https://x.com/NancyLieberman/status/1776496014297280836

The right call was made. Take it on the nose and be proud of your girls for having a great season!

Michael

PostPosted: 04/06/24 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Were moving screens and fouls missed earlier in the game? Of course; it was a physical, fast game, and it’s hard to see everything. Was Edward’s screen a legal screen? Nope. Should it have been called at that point in the game? Absolutely. If you see it, you should call it.

Would it have been called in the men’s game? What difference does that make? They aren’t even playing by the same rules.

So, if they don't call the foul, Marshall has been knocked completely out of the play, Paige has Stuelke on her but Edwards is rolling to the basket undefended. All UConn would have needed to do while playing 5 on 4 was a little head fake, a dribble around Stuelke and pass to Edwards for the easy winning layup. All from an illegal screen that completely eliminated Iowa's best defender from the play. That's what happens if they don't make the right call on that massive illegal screen.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
It's mostly the media that's at fault, IMO. How many were on tv saying that you can't make that call at that point in the game? Lobo, SVP, DT. Andreya Carter said that it sucked (I LOVE to listen to her analysis, usually. I think that she is one of the best!!!!)

How many did you hear say it was the right call?

Credit to Lobo.
Quote:
“Of course it’s tough to see, right, in the moment,” Lobo said Saturday on SportsCenter. “And at an end of a game, you want to see players with a missed shot or a made shot or a defensive stop deciding the game. When you watch the play back, it 100% was a foul. Aaliyah Edwards, not only with the wide base, she was moving. She hits Gabbie Marshall in a way that she can’t recover defensively.
https://www.on3.com/news/iowa-uconn-call-rebecca-lobo-100-percent-was-a-foul-aaliyah-edwards-illegal-screen-final-four-espn/

“It’s unfortunate that this game came down to an off-the-ball foul call, but if you had that foul call at any other point in the game, you wouldn’t give it a second thought. You would not question it at all. I understand why people are because of the timing of it, but Jay, this 100% – by the rules of basketball – is an illegal screen. It’s a foul.”

https://www.on3.com/news/iowa-uconn-call-rebecca-lobo-100-percent-was-a-foul-aaliyah-edwards-illegal-screen-final-four-espn/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: