RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where's the Accountability for Officials??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:40 pm    ::: Where's the Accountability for Officials?? Reply Reply with quote

One thing that has helped bring this to light is all of the additional cameras at women's games. More cameras = more replays = more missed calls being noticed. (Did anyone else notice the camera mounted behind the press table sliding back and forth?) And with such a limited pool of officials, there are going to be fewer great ones.

Quote:
...as women’s basketball explodes in popularity and administrators realize its power as a revenue-generator, pressure to win has ratcheted up. And that makes every call, especially in a close game, matter.

Quote:
In conversations with more than 20 coaches, administrators and officials, both current and former, they say the issues are substantial and wide-ranging: confusing calls in the post, inconsistency from game to game — and sometimes quarter to quarter — misapplications of rules and a glaring lack of accountability.

I hate it when Walz makes a good point.
Quote:
Walz explained it like this: Not that long ago, when parity was scarce in women’s hoops, a few bad calls at the end of the game might lead to the better team winning by 15 instead of 20. Now, bad calls can change the outcome.

Quote:
Coaches take most issue with how fouls are called in the post — where players have gotten stronger and more physical. Inconsistency is a problem across the country, and was on full display during the NCAA Tournament. Players struggle to adjust.

I didn't know this. Seems like a big problem.
Quote:
If officials stick with it and rise to the college and professional ranks, Ackerman said the NBA and WNBA add another hurdle. The NBA has told women’s officials if they want to work WNBA in the summer, they need to work NBA G League games in the winter. That means good officials are being pulled away from the college game.

I'm mot sure that I see this as that much of a problem. Refs work more regionally as it it now. Why does that have to change?? An earlier comment in the article that I haven't posted said that women's officials will work more games because of the lower pay. That would need to change or the women's officials will be making even less money going coast to coast (more cost and fewer games possible).
Quote:
“It’s gonna get complicated next year with these nationwide conferences, because one of the issues that hasn’t been discussed is, how is officiating going to work in those leagues?” Ackerman said. “They’re literally gonna be having referees ping-ponging across the country to work their games, which is going to add to wear and tear, which is ultimately going to affect the quality of work that they do.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2024/04/05/womens-final-four-officials-college-basketball/73210469007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/06/24 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Refs are human, like the rest of us. The NCAA tries to get the best they can. What concerns me is the quality of refs at the levels below the power conferences.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Refs are human, like the rest of us. The NCAA tries to get the best they can. What concerns me is the quality of refs at the levels below the power conferences.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Try high school. The shortage of officials in Northern California is acute. We have a lot of 60+ officials who work three and four games a day.

In football, varsity games are now commonly done with three-person crews.

"Blame the refs" hasn't worked out quite as planned.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Try high school. The shortage of officials in Northern California is acute. We have a lot of 60+ officials who work three and four games a day.

In football, varsity games are now commonly done with three-person crews.

"Blame the refs" hasn't worked out quite as planned.

Exactly. Continuing to criticizing officials (which seems to have become an Olympic sport), who would want that??? It seems like the media are all trying to outdo each other with the biggest, most clever, insult. Better to take a desk job. Drive out enough of the good refs and who's going to be left to teach and bring along the next generation?? It's just such a stupid way to approach an issue.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/24 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most people who go into officiating are part time, won't travel any significant distance, and/or are doing it as a second (or more) job. It's a side hustle. Starting out it doesn't pay that well and you have to put up with way too much nonsense, so most don't stick with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: