RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Does anyone else feel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: 04/05/24 8:36 pm    ::: Does anyone else feel Reply Reply with quote

That a UConn, USCar finals would be something that kills the enthusiasm for a lot of the casual fans? I know I won't watch it. There needs to be different teams in the finals to keep attracting fans, dynasties are not good for growing the sport at this point IMHO.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not at all. The casual fan doesn't care that much about who's playing and has little sense of history.

Veterans may feel differently.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps typically no. CT and USC are among the top programs in WCBB over recent years, and are full of nationally recognized talent. So those are the selling points that actually DRAW IN the "casual" fan, who would know these things most of all, while being mostly ignorant of the other things.

But for this season in particular, perhaps so. CT has done a marvelous job of reaching another Final Four with all of their personnel chaos, but they already played the Gamecocks earlier this season, and would not evoke (at least in my mind) great expectations that the outcome would be any different in the championship game. There are just too many well-established match-up issues for the Huskies against the Gamecocks - perhaps even if CT had their entire roster healthy and ready to go.

But this season is the Caitlin Clark Show, more than any other season. For her and Iowa to reach another Final against an undefeated South Carolina would be easily the #1 showcase of WCBB for the casual fan, in my opinion. At least, for this season alone.....

Speebs56

PostPosted: 04/06/24 12:33 pm    ::: Re: Does anyone else feel Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
That a UConn, USCar finals would be something that kills the enthusiasm for a lot of the casual fans? I know I won't watch it. There needs to be different teams in the finals to keep attracting fans, dynasties are not good for growing the sport at this point IMHO.

IF dynasties aren't good for growing the sport, how in hell did it get this big? (And by "this big" I mean relative to early days...there is plenty of room for growth!) It didn't happen overnight ya know; Tennessee, UConn, and now So. Carolina...all dynasties (or one in the making with SoCar) that contributed to the growth of the women's game. Some folks may tune in to see if the "dynasty" can do it again...others wouldn't know if a team had won a lot but want to see that Clark player who broke records this year.

Opportunity to see the games may be a greater factor than whether a team has won a lot or not. Until ESPN began broadcasting complete games on their networks, instead of that craptastic whip around coverage, until national network put the games on (ABC) so everyone could choose to watch, growth was present, but not explosive.

People are paying attention now - partly b/c they can SEE the games without having to pay for a variety of services to do so.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/06/24 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, Michael, I'm not b***hurt like you are because LSU didn't get there. SC earned. their place by working for it, and then by attracting the best and brightest players. Same with UConn. Dynasties, if there are such, don't happen overnight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: