RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tara

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/19/24 9:03 am    ::: Tara Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But for all the accolades and passport stamps Tara has accumulated, Rita is most impressed by this: Her daughter, she told USA TODAY Sports, is a happy person.

“She’s always had the capacity to enjoy life, enjoy people,” Rita said. “I just think it’s wonderful to be around someone who chooses to be happy.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/pac12/2024/01/19/stanford-tara-vanderveer-coach-k-record-most-wins/72264778007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/19/24 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also a lovely article in Washington Post by Sally Jenkins.

https://wapo.st/48F8J1A (no paywall, gift article)

PostPosted: 01/20/24 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the factors that makes Tara's accomplishments all the more laudable is that she's done it, for all these years, in a quiet, no-nonsense fashion: no high-drama, nonsensical need for any spotlights, just straight-up basketball!

PostPosted: 01/21/24 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former players on Tara.

Quote:
"There’s a joy in (coaching) when it fits you and I think Tara is wired to do this," said Jennifer Azzi, the point guard on VanDerveer’s first national championship team. "She’s not jumping up and down all the time. She has more of an inner joy, just a calmness about her. She’s doing her destiny."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2024/01/21/what-makes-tara-vanderveer-so-great-let-her-players-tell-you/72288332007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/24 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Technically, Tara Vanderveer only has 1144 NCAA wins. Her first 59 came under the auspices of the AIAW. They don't count player stats from those days, so coaching stats shouldn't count either.

PostPosted: 01/21/24 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Technically, Tara Vanderveer only has 1144 NCAA wins. Her first 59 came under the auspices of the AIAW. They don't count player stats from those days, so coaching stats shouldn't count either.

Does that limitation affect others like Pat or Coach K? And aren't they just calling them "Wins at the Collegiate D1 Level"?

PostPosted: 01/21/24 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Does that limitation affect others like Pat or Coach K? And aren't they just calling them "Wins at the Collegiate D1 Level"?

Well, there's this. But Voepel has never let fact stand in the way before.

Quote:
A coach the past 45 years, VanDerveer reached a pinnacle Sunday: Stanford beat Oregon State for VanDerveer's 1,203rd career victory, passing former Duke men's coach Mike Krzyzewski for the most wins in NCAA basketball history.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39350779/tara-vanderveer-stanford-coach-ncaa-record-career-wins

USA Today take:

Quote:
VanDerveer, 70, passed Hall of Famer and former Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski as the winningest coach in college basketball on Sunday with her 1,203rd victory.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/pac12/2024/01/19/stanford-tara-vanderveer-coach-k-record-most-wins/72264778007/

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 01/21/24 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/21/24 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well she'll just have to go for another 60 wins to unify the titles and satisfy the pedants

PostPosted: 01/21/24 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

All of Krzyzewski's wins came under the NCAA. They didn't sponsor women's basketball until the 1981-92 season.

PostPosted: 01/21/24 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are there any extant coaches left who coached in the AIAW era? I'm racking my brain, but I can't think of anyone else.

PostPosted: 01/21/24 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

somehow it is apparently Tara's fault that it took the NCAA 6 years to actually act on Title Nine...

pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/24 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Are there any extant coaches left who coached in the AIAW era? I'm racking my brain, but I can't think of anyone else.

Chris Gobrecht at Air Force is the only other one in D1. She was at CS Fullerton when the switch happened. There are a few at lower levels. Only Andy Yosinoff of D3 Emmanuel College is in the same job now as then.

PostPosted: 01/21/24 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
somehow it is apparently Tara's fault that it took the NCAA 6 years to actually act on Title Nine...

The players lost their stats, why should the coaches be treated differently?

PostPosted: 01/21/24 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

so does two wrongs make a right?

pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/24 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

so does two wrongs make a right?

I am seeking consistency. Do AIAW games count or not? They shouldn't count for some and not for others.

PostPosted: 01/22/24 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand that. OTOH my guess about player stats is that there was no consistency in those days in how those stats were kept. There were boxscores for games, but what happened to those books after the games varied from institution to institution. The boxes were often not published at all. Just a guess but I imagine many schools threw them in a carton and maybe stored them in some moldy place for a few years before they were thrown out. Win-losses for coaches were much easier to reconstruct.

In general yes, title nine was a massive win, but it took most schools years to actually implement any kind of equality.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/22/24 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've watched her as coach from the beginning (at Stanford) and I applaud Tara. As a fan for another team or two I can say she's brought much frustration too, but when there's a victory over her teams, you know it's hard fought and well-earned. I don't view AIAW victories to be any less in terms of being wins. It's totally appropriate to say she is the top when it comes to wins in college basketball. Congrats!

elsie

PostPosted: 01/22/24 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nice article....

Tara is a pure womens basketball advocate....every year, she agrees to play Gonzaga and most yrs she wins, but not always...

and she plays Gonzaga both home and away......Gonzaga is competitive....she could play a lesser school to pad her record.....

but because she loves womens basketball and loves competition, she does it....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: