RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WSU and OSU join WCC as affilates for next two seasons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 12/20/23 4:56 pm    ::: WSU and OSU join WCC as affilates for next two seasons Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Washington State and Oregon State have reportedly found a short-term solution for their basketball programs and Olympic sports the next two seasons.

According to multiple reports, WSU and OSU will join the West Coast Conference as affiliate members for the next two seasons in all sports, with the exception of football and baseball.

The news, which was initially reported by Matt Norlander of CBS Sports, comes approximately three weeks after the Cougars and Beavers agreed to a football scheduling alliance with the Mountain West Conference for the 2024 season.

Unlike the football partnership, WSU and OSU would be eligible to compete for WCC championship in men’s and women’s basketball and all other sports in 2024-25 and 2025-26. Along those same lines, the Cougars and Beavers will be able to earn automatic qualifier berths in the NCAA basketball tournaments along with other NCAA championship events.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/report-washington-state-oregon-state-to-join-wcc-as-affiliate-members-for-two-seasons/[/url]

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/27/23 3:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so in honor of Oregon State & Wazzu officially joining the WCC for the next two seasons after the current one, in what i hope is a short-lived foray into mid-major conference competition, here are imo each team's best transfer candidates Confused each starts with those seemingly most prone to transferring, on down.

Oregon State: Beers, Gardiner, Marotte, Rees, von Oelhoffen, Hansford, Blacklock, etc.

Washington State: Leger-Walker, Covill, E. Villa, Tuhina, J. Villa, Wallack, Clarke, etc.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 12/29/23 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all due respect GFY.

PostPosted: 12/30/23 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beyonce Bea? According to this website

https://nameberry.com/babyname/beyonce

there were 353 newborns named Beyonce in 2001 which was the peak (in 2016 six and since then less than five [if any] a year). 2001 is likely the year Beyonce Bea was born as she graduated from high school in 2019.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/08/24 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
With all due respect GFY.

i don’t love being told to go fuck myself when i’m not expecting it, but i see now that i did this in poor taste. for that i apologize. it’s not worth much, but despite being a UW fan, i dislike the position Wazzu and Oregon State were ultimately put in and are still in. UW certainly had a hand in that. sure wish it could’ve been the Pac-12 that were the ones with the lucrative tv deal preying on other conferences.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/08/24 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
...it’s not worth much, but despite being a UW fan, i dislike the position Wazzu and Oregon State were ultimately put in and are still in. UW certainly had a hand in that. sure wish it could’ve been the Pac-12 that were the ones with the lucrative tv deal preying on other conferences.

As a UCLA fan, whose school was one of the two universities that originally lit the match that burned down the Pac-12 conference, I absolutely hate the position that Wazzu and OSU are in. I don't want to join the B1G. We already have/had a perfectly good conference, and it is/was the Pac-12.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/08/24 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, for people who say Wazzu or Oregon State “deserves this,” it’s incredibly mean-spirited. even saying they’ll be “better off” at the G5 level is being ignorant at best. what those people may not realize is how much these universities have come to economically rely on their conference’s media deals. it helps keep people within athletic departments employed; it’s not just that entire programs become in danger of being cut/discontinued, but jobs in & around the university. and i can’t even elaborate more as i am still not all that familiar with how far out the economic impact of being actively demoted from the Power-5 level extends for a given university.

not to mention: none of the student-athletes were involved in how this went down, but they’ll be the ones who feel the brunt of it on a regular basis.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 01/09/24 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm very sad the Pac-12 will be no longer. OSU and WSU deserve better....as did frankly the schools like Cal and Stanford that had to join an East Coast Rolling Eyes conference....it's too bad football couldn't have just departed wherever and left the remaining sports in the Pac-12. I know that's unrealistic given the money-factor, but still....the Pac-12 has become such a powerful conference in women's college basketball too....and now, poof. Gone. I wish the Beavers and the Cougars all the best and I expect we will continue to see them on our OC schedule, at least I hope.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/09/24 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would guess those two schools end up in the Big12. That conference took some non-P5 schools like Houston, Cincinnati, University of Central Florida, BYU and maybe TCU. The Mountain West is another possibility but that would be a step down to a non-P5 conference.

It's a real shame that it was more profitable to have conferences that span the country. That's crazy. Imagine being Cal or Stanford and having to go play on the east coast when you used to play on the west coast. I hope the super conferences eventually blow up for being too big and too spread out.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/09/24 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well with Stanford & Cal joining a potentially very volatile ACC conference that may or may not still exist in a few years, it wouldn’t be impossible to see them back in the same purgatory Oregon State & Wazzu are in. what it would be though is ironic…

the Beavs & Cougs, amongst other entities, will be watching what happens to the ACC through the course of the next 13-14 months very closely. i think cleanly inviting all the Mountain West schools into the Pac as a de facto merger is something the two will only do if no other options get presented to them – and i’d actually be a little surprised if that became the case. Florida State doing what they’re doing could cause things to once again change dramatically at the drop of a hat.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/09/24 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still wonder whether Notre Dame will try to bring Stanford along in the next round of dominoes, but realistically, Stanford will likely be on the outside looking in when the next round is started by Florida State or the SEC poaching whoever they want next.

Michael

PostPosted: 01/09/24 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I still wonder whether Notre Dame will try to bring Stanford along in the next round of dominoes, but realistically, Stanford will likely be on the outside looking in when the next round is started by Florida State or the SEC poaching whoever they want next.

I think the next round won't start until the ACC grant of rights expires in 2036 unless FSU wins their extremely long shot court case. ND is stuck as their AD handcuffed them to the rail of the Titanic. In addition to the grant of rights they have with the ACC, they signed an equally ironclad no escape clause contract with the ACC that if they EVER join a conference in football it HAS TO BE THE ACC. ND hired three different law firms in the last couple years trying to find a way out, because no school hates being out earned by the Big Ten more than ND does. All they did was make a lot of rich lawyers richer. LOL

PostPosted: 01/09/24 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

if ND ever went to the B1G and insisted Stanford come with, something i can someday see happening, i’d wonder what would then happen to Cal. though maybe Stanford & Cal truly are a package deal 'til the end of time, even if that's to the detriment of one or even both of them. oh, how i wish now that more people had attended their football games… that stupid simple concept could've changed everything.

not to mention: there was a serious rumor out there that had Stanford & Cal not gotten into the ACC, the Big 12 would’ve taken the remainder of the Pac-4 at the direction of ESPN in order for the network to retain true Pacific-coast schools aka true Pacific-coast timeslots. North Carolina State was a “no” on adding more schools… until they were allegedly promised something by the now-new additions to flip their vote. (some believe/have heard it was AAU backing.) again, UW’s role was clear in everything, as well as those of USC, UCLA, Colorado, etc. but had Stanford & Cal not ultimately thumbed their noses at the Big 12 – and Stanford at least was very much desired by the Big 12 while the "Pac-4" was a thing – things might have been a lot less turbulent for specifically Oregon State & Wazzu these past several months. that’s how i feel. not to mention, the Big 12 improbably has looked more stable than the ACC does these days – a concept no one would’ve seem coming all that long ago.

i'm glad at least that Oregon State & Wazzu won the lawsuit and control the rights to the conference moving forward – although that's how it should've been from the beginning once everyone else, y'know, left.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: