RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What are you hoping to see this season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamj95

PostPosted: 10/22/23 6:39 pm    ::: What are you hoping to see this season? Reply Reply with quote

What are you hoping to see from the team/teams you follow?

For my Gophers, I want to see improvement on defense and on turnovers. So many frustrating turnovers last year made them so hard to watch. I am optimistic that Coach P will help turn the Gophers into a contender sooner rather than later but that will depend on the players taking care of the ball. I am hoping that they can finish in the top half of the conference. The transfer Sophie Hart from NC State should help give them some presence inside.

I'd also like to see another conference championship by the Jackrabbits and a NCAA tourney win or 2. That will be made difficult by 2 players already out for the season with injures but AJ will have them in the position to win the Summit yet again. My alma mater North Dakota will hopefully make things interesting with the conference preseason POY in Borowicz.

What about you guys?

PostPosted: 10/22/23 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As boring as many here will probably find this, I hope for a UConn team that stays healthy all season. I want to see what this group can do when they're all available.

Then we can judge (and so many will anyway) whether UConn/Geno still has it.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 10/22/23 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want to see UCLA finally put it all together under Coach Close and live up to the potential, make a run to the Final Four and build the foundation for a program that can very possibly compete for a National Championship in the next year or two with Rice and Betts as just sophomores.

I also hope Stanford exceeds expectations and I think they will with the presence of Brink and an array of very skilled and talented players around her including Demetre, Iriafen, Lepolo, Bosgana. I think this team could surprise people and make a run late in the season.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 10/22/23 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm hoping OK State makes a run at the Big 12 title and possibly the Sweet 16. Last year they had talent, but lacked overall athleticism, size, and depth. This year they got more athletic, bigger, and deeper. With a plethora of offensive threats, they seem to be going in hard on defense as well. They could be a surprise team this year.

PostPosted: 10/22/23 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My only hope is that Azzi Fudd stays healthy all season.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 10/23/23 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps to final four

PostPosted: 10/23/23 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU winning the Sun Belt and making a good showing in the NCAA. The Lady Vols doing well in the SEC and making a deep run in in NCAA, maybe even the Final Four.

PostPosted: 10/23/23 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Stanford surprises this season as Cameron Brink stays out of foul trouble and the interior is suddenly opened up by three point shooting from Demetre, Bosgana, Lepolo and Jump.

2. The University of Denver finishes fifth or sixth in the Summit and Makayla Minett shoots better than 60% from the free throw line. We continue to see improvement from Emma Smith and Emily Counsel continues to break out this season.

3. My fantasy team is better than I expect it to be and I somehow finish in fifth.

4. I am intrigued by a mid-major program upsetting a P-5 in the non-conference and inspired to follow their journey throughout the rest of the season.

5. Colorado beats LSU in Vegas, and Utah somehow ascends to #1 in the rankings for the first time in program history - I don't care about the NCAA results for this one - but it'd be nice if someone who's never been #1 before gets there.

linkster

PostPosted: 10/23/23 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

5. Colorado beats LSU in Vegas, and Utah somehow ascends to #1 in the rankings for the first time in program history - I don't care about the NCAA results for this one - but it'd be nice if someone who's never been #1 before gets there.

This isn't Queen for a Day. Wink

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048895/

Chip

PostPosted: 10/24/23 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luv to see Ashley Owusu show out this year

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/24/23 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hope for World peace.

hope for many really good competitive games thru out the season.

hope for good sportsmanship by all, especially the top players [yeah, I'm old-fashioned]

hope Stanford is better than the predictions so far.

hope WSU shows out in the PAC.

hope the PAC doesn't disappoint in its last year of being the PAC.

hope TCU does better than predicted [couldn't be worse than last year]

hope for no ACLs for anybody anywhere for the whole season.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 10/24/23 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopes 'n dreams:

1. Oregon FINALLY gets a core group of players that demonstrate reasonable consistency and chemistry, and at least makes it into the top 25 once. Cool

2. Phili Kyei becomes the player she SHOULD be.

3. Kennedy Basham excels in an unexpected way.

4. The PAC is very competitive in its final season.

PostPosted: 10/25/23 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke: Big blow came this summer, losing Vanessa deJesus to injury for the year as the senior PG was surely going to be a leader of this team. Looking forward to pass first PG Taina Mair. She's proven she's ready to contribute at P5 level and that she likes to work within in system. She takes pride in knowing where everyone is supposed to be and is ready to create space for the pass to the right person in the right spot. Also looking forward to having 4 players 6'2 to 6'6 with the two tallest Kennedy Brown and Camilla Emsbo referring to themselves as "Ken and Cam" ready for a high/low with both of them ready to hit from the high post. Yes, this team will, at times, run the twin towers together. Can the two young, less tall frosh fit into these plays with either Ken or Cam? Yet to be determined. Returning wing Reigan Richardson has been working to learn the PG spot to back up Taina for short breathers - but she played 35+ minutes last year at BC.

Surprised not to see our #3 rated prospect Jadyn Donovan? She'll make her presence known on both sides of the court. She's a dynamo on the court and with the length and athleticism to elevate over post players to score. When she adds more consistent shooting away from the basket (& free throw shooting), she'll be unstoppable.

I expect 1 of the two young PF's to get more of the playing time and Emma Koabel knows her playing time is dependent on picking up her defense. But with only 10 players, I expect everyone will get onto the floor.

Camilla missed her last season in the Ivy League due to injury but she's moving well on the court and is a very upbeat, natural leader on the court. Her goal is to bring out the best in every player on the team.

This team can surprise a few people. If sharp shooters Ashlon Jackson and Emma Koabel can get and sink their shots, it will keep defenses from packing the paint. Wing Reigan Richardson is likely getting lessons on shot selection as she learns the PG role, which will help the FG% of the team. She'll lead the defense starting on the wing and is crucial to helping the young ones learn the close to perfect defensive rotations this team's been known for.

Look for cutters Jadyn and Reigan, starting at each wing and both adept at passing to the open player when well defended to create plays out of nothing.

Right now, I'm expecting a starting lineup of Taina, Reigan, Jadyn, ?PF and Kennedy. PF choices are Camilla Emsbo, Delaney Thomas and Jordan Wood. Expecting Ashlon as first off the bench to give Reigan a breather before she takes over PG duties for a few minutes.

Oh dang, I forgot Oluchi Okanawa! Another uber athletic option on the wing who will be pushing or minutes. Again, her time will depend on learning the quick defensive rotations and choosing to jump passing lanes at the right times.Everyone will have to be ready to rotate on a dime when Jadyn or Oluchi are on the floor.

The team will be challenged early with an exhibition against Team USA, then So.Carolina early in the season. Especially with Dawn Staley known for having a short rotation of players, this team will give them a run for their money, especially if our post defense can contain Cardoso and keep her off the offensive boards.

I expect Team USA players will impart their wisdom on playing in a team concept, which will be useful to the young players used to dominating play in high school. Being one of two teams playing against Team USA speaks to Kara being firmly in the Team USA coaching pipeline with all the right connections.

~rAf
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/25/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Pac-12 goes in a blaze of glory, with a record 9 tournament teams, 2 births in the Final 4 and a somewhat unexpected National Championship.

Charlisse Leger-Walker balls out all season, leads WSU to the Elite 8, gets All-American recognition and cements herself as a legit first-rounder.

Washington has an undefeated non-conference season, including a win at Louisville.

Gonzaga goes undefeated in the WCC and makes an Elite 8 run.

JuJu Watkins is a generational player and unanimous choice for National Freshman of the Year; leading USC to a 4-seed and a deep tournament run.

PostPosted: 10/26/23 4:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

curious to 'follow' TCU this year with the new coach and transfers in to that program.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/26/23 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, count on "Positive Change" with Mark Campbell at TCU. He's a rising star.🤠

PostPosted: 10/26/23 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not hoping for anything per se, but am interested to watch the SEC battles between LSU and S.Car. and whether either of them, or anyone else, can go undefeated this season.

Also interested in watching the Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers shows. Well, I guess I am hoping that both will put on shows. WCBB needs star power.
NYSports56

PostPosted: 11/22/23 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
My only hope is that Azzi Fudd stays healthy all season.

I only asked for one thing. I am so sad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: