RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Platform choices - Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 10/31/23 11:13 am    ::: Platform choices - Help? Reply Reply with quote

Once again, it's time for renewing my paid platform to view college games.
Last season, I paid for YouTubeLive - decent, and improved over the previous season. But. No PAC12 option.

Anybody else wanna recommend any other platform?

PostPosted: 10/31/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I pay for ESPN+ and that's it.

PostPosted: 10/31/23 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have dish which has P12 and B10 (not B10 plus where most of the games are).
Last year I also had ESPN+ but dropped it over the Summer because their price went up and I didn't really need it then anyway. But will likely break down and get it again during the season.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/31/23 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Last year I also had ESPN+ but dropped it over the Summer because their price went up and I didn't really need it then anyway. But will likely break down and get it again during the season.

Does ESPN+ include PAC games?

PostPosted: 10/31/23 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Does ESPN+ include PAC games?

I don't think so. I get all the PAC games because of Dish...and ACC too.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 11/01/23 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I pay for B1G (Big ten) monthly for Maryland games. I start it around this time and cancel it in February when the conference games are shown on the BTN station or ESPN, both which I get on YouTube tv

PostPosted: 11/01/23 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
I pay for B1G (Big ten) monthly for Maryland games. I start it around this time and cancel it in February when the conference games are shown on the BTN station or ESPN, both which I get on YouTube tv

That's interesting....when I do get YouTubeLive TV, it includes the Big Ten channel (is that the BTN?). How is a B1G subscription different?

PostPosted: 11/01/23 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

That's interesting....when I do get YouTubeLive TV, it includes the Big Ten channel (is that the BTN?). How is a B1G subscription different?

The Big Ten channel is a tv station, like ESPN they have set programming/games/matches/etc, the Big Ten subscription is like netflix if you will, you have your choice of games you can watch live, or replays, as well as other shows they make.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/01/23 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, GEF.

Having had BTN, I know they didn't show all wbb games, so I s'pose the subscription offers more that way.

PostPosted: 11/01/23 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After all my research, I believe I'm going to go with Sling Orange, with the Sports add-on. It's very reasonable ($32/month) and does include PAC programming. It's short on B1G shows, but Clark will probably be on ESPN repeatedly.

Has anybody here had Sling before, and any rating on its programming?

PostPosted: 11/02/23 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

The B1G app shows the games not on BTN station. I have watched 2 preseason games not aired anywhere else.

PostPosted: 11/02/23 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
Howee wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

The B1G app shows the games not on BTN station. I have watched 2 preseason games not aired anywhere else.

Pardon me if this deduction on my part is in error, but I trust the 'app' means you must watch it on your phone or portable device rather than a desktop or TV screen, no? My old eyes can't do that. Razz

PostPosted: 11/02/23 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Chromecast or the like is very inexpensive and lets you watch most "app" videos on your TV.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/02/23 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
A Chromecast or the like is very inexpensive and lets you watch most "app" videos on your TV.

Not my TV's. Both are 20+ year old CRT's.

My Luddite question is similar to Howee's: Can these "apps" work on a desktop or laptop computer, or only on phones?
mred

PostPosted: 11/03/23 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
My Luddite question is similar to Howee's: Can these "apps" work on a desktop or laptop computer, or only on phones?

Unless there's an example I'm not thinking about, any streaming service should allow you to watch on a regular computer (desktop/laptop). I do that all the time with ESPN+, YouTubeTV, Prime, etc. when the rest of my family is watching something else on the tv. You just navigate to their website, log in, and watch in the browser just like watching a video on YouTube or whatever.

To address BTN specifically, their website says you can watch televised BTN games at foxsports.com and non-televised BTN games at bigtenplus.com. This assumes you have a subscription to whatever is necessary to watch.

https://btn.com/promo/btn2go-is-now-btn-so-what-does-this-mean/

wnbafan

PostPosted: 11/04/23 6:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
wnbafan wrote:
Howee wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

Pardon me if this deduction on my part is in error, but I trust the 'app' means you must watch it on your phone or portable device rather than a desktop or TV screen, no? My old eyes can't do that. Razz

The app can be downloaded to smart tv or phone, or you can access it through your browser on your desktop. As someone else stated, if you don't have a smart tv you can use a Chromecast stick and cast to your tv. The other option would be to get an Amazon Fire tv stick. You can download the app there.

PostPosted: 11/04/23 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
After all my research, I believe I'm going to go with Sling Orange, with the Sports add-on. It's very reasonable ($32/month) and does include PAC programming. It's short on B1G shows, but Clark will probably be on ESPN repeatedly.

I usually get Sling and have enjoyed it. Very straightforward.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/09/23 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Howee wrote:

Well, thank you for that input, Daniel. Now, less than a week in, and I realize I must drop Sling. I opted for the Blue/Orange combo, with the sports extra added on.
My problem?
#1: it's NOT user-friendly. It's challenging to find whatever game I really want.
#2: With several PAC 12 options, there's still no guarantee that I'll get the game I REALLY want.
#3: The Biggest Reason? I can't run through commercials when watching a previously recorded show. Evil or Very Mad

I'll pay a couple of extra bucks and stay with YouTubeLive TV....its formats (guide displays, recording algorithms, and station listing simplicity) are all much more friendly to this user.

PostPosted: 11/13/23 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
Howee wrote:

Well, thank you for that input, Daniel. Now, less than a week in, and I realize I must drop Sling. I opted for the Blue/Orange combo, with the sports extra added on.
My problem?
#1: it's NOT user-friendly. It's challenging to find whatever game I really want.
#2: With several PAC 12 options, there's still no guarantee that I'll get the game I REALLY want.
#3: The Biggest Reason? I can't run through commercials when watching a previously recorded show. Evil or Very Mad

I'll pay a couple of extra bucks and stay with YouTubeLive TV....its formats (guide displays, recording algorithms, and station listing simplicity) are all much more friendly to this user.

Yeah, they change the interface quite a bit. But I'm comfortable with it. I may try YouTube TV though. Sounds interesting.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 11/14/23 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m liking Sling so far.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: