RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Defensive Player of the Year and All Defensive Team

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/31/23 11:06 am    ::: Defensive Player of the Year and All Defensive Team Reply Reply with quote

I saw the post that the all defensive team will be positionless this year.

Who do you think will win DPOY? Who will be on the all defensive team?

I think DPOY is probably between 3 players:
Brittney Sykes
Alyssa Thomas
A'ja Wilson

It would be great to see a back court player win DPOY and Sykes has played great defense since she joined the league. She's leading the league in steals (and neck & neck with Canada for steals per game)

Thomas has been such a great all around player this season and is leading the league in total and defensive rebounds

Wilson is the reigning DPOY and leads the lead in blocks on the top team.

I do think Thomas may get the nod since they probably won't give her MVP, but I would love to see Sykes get it.

I do think Sykes, Thomas, and Wilson will be on the team. Who would be the other 2? Stewart? Magbegor? Canada? Other?

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/31/23 11:57 am    ::: Re: Defensive Player of the Year and All Defensive Team Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I saw the post that the all defensive team will be positionless this year.

Who do you think will win DPOY? Who will be on the all defensive team?

I think DPOY is probably between 3 players:
Brittney Sykes
Alyssa Thomas
A'ja Wilson

It would be great to see a back court player win DPOY and Sykes has played great defense since she joined the league. She's leading the league in steals (and neck & neck with Canada for steals per game)

Thomas has been such a great all around player this season and is leading the league in total and defensive rebounds

Wilson is the reigning DPOY and leads the lead in blocks on the top team.

I do think Thomas may get the nod since they probably won't give her MVP, but I would love to see Sykes get it.

I do think Sykes, Thomas, and Wilson will be on the team. Who would be the other 2? Stewart? Magbegor? Canada? Other?

Not to take anything away from A'ja, but are we really giving DPOY nods to her because she blocks shots? DPOY should be an eye test award and I don't know how you give it to anyone but Sykes. She's an absolute pest and menace on D.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/31/23 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's first in blocks, 2nd in rebounds, and averages almost 1.5 steals per game, so she does more than just block shots. She will definitely be in the running for DPOY and will be all-defensive team as well.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/23 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson scores very well in nonsense stats like Defensive Rating and Defensive Win Shares. Only one player is in the top 10 in the league in both steals and blocks per game, but she's going to be MVP so maybe you'd prefer to save DPOY for Wilson as a consolation prize.

Last edited by pilight on 09/01/23 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/31/23 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A'ja Wilson scores very well in nonsense stats like Defensive Rating and Defensive Win Shares. Only one player is in the top 10 in the league in both steals and blocks pre game, but she's going to be MVP so maybe you'd prefer to save DPOY for Wilson as a consolation prize.

Stewart may win MVP, but I think your argument is not enough support for that, even though it is true (at this moment). Wilson has 2.2 blocks/game while Stewart has 1.6. For steals, Stewart has 1.5/game while Wilson has 1.4/game. On the balance of just those two stats, A'ja has the advantage.

Last edited by Fighting Artichoke on 09/01/23 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/31/23 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brittney Sykes hands down. For goodness sake, when Shakira and EDD were out, she did the opening jump and she routinely jumps over much taller players for rebounds - without fouling. She joined a team with two all defensive team guards - and surpassed them both. Not only is she DPOY, but she's been a terror on offense and should be considered for all WNBA.

I think it's too hard to decide between the very similar Aja and Breanna. MVP is Alyssa Thomas.

~rAf
ucbart

PostPosted: 09/01/23 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
She's first in blocks, 2nd in rebounds, and averages almost 1.5 steals per game, so she does more than just block shots. She will definitely be in the running for DPOY and will be all-defensive team as well.

Those stats do absolutely nothing for me for a player to be DPOY. I watch them play defense. Rebounding as a metric for how a player is on defense, is total nonsense, IMO.

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 09/01/23 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Betnijah Laney for DPOY. I'm aware that it's a biased choice.

PostPosted: 09/01/23 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:

She's been great. Definitely deserves a spot on the all-d team.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/01/23 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A'ja Wilson scores very well in nonsense stats like Defensive Rating and Defensive Win Shares. Only one player is in the top 10 in the league in both steals and blocks per game, but she's going to be MVP so maybe you'd prefer to save DPOY for Wilson as a consolation prize.

A'ja Wilson had the 3rd worst relative defensive rating in a season for any DPOY winner. Defensive Rating usually has the eventual WNBA Defensive Player of the Year in the top 5.

DPOYs:
2022 A'ja Wilson: DR #9
2021 Silvia Fowles: DR #2
2020 Candace Parker DR #4
2019 Natasha Howard DR #2
2018 Alana Beard (outside top 10)
2017 Alana Beard DR #9
2016 Sylvia Fowles DR #1
2015 Brittney Griner DR #5
2014 Brittney Griner DR #1
2013 Sylvia Fowles DR #4
2012 Tamika Catchings DR #2
2011 Sylvia Fowles DR #4
2010 Tamika Catchings DR #1
2009 Tamika Catchings DR #1
2008 Lisa Leslie DR #1
2007 Lauren Jackson DR (outside top 10)
2006 Tamika Catchings DR #1
2005 Tamika Catchings DR #6
2004 Lisa Leslie DR #1
2003 Sheryl Swoopes DR #5
2002 Sheryl Swoopes DR #1
2001 Debbie Black DR #3
2000 Sheryl Swoopes DR #1
1999 Yolanda Griffith DR #1
1998 Teresa Weatherspoon DR #2
1997 Teresa Weatherspoon DR #4

tfan

PostPosted: 09/01/23 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think of the Defensive Player of the Year as the person who most lowers the output (scoring, assists, offensive rebounds) of the players they are guarding from their average. But unfortunately they don't capture that stat.

But given my preference, I would determine the DPOY by having each WNBA rotation player (played above some minimum minutes) vote for "which defender gives you the most problems".

Per Defensive Rating, the WNBA all-defensive team would be:

A'ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Kiah Stokes, Nneka Ogwumike, Alyssa Thomas.

They do favor post players for DPOY. Counting blocks would seem to favor the posts since they get to block their opponent and also shorter wings coming to the basket. Not sure who has a better chance at steals - posts or wings.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/02/23 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:

I don't see any bias in here at all and I completely agree. Wink

(but for all the shot block fetishists in the DPOY discussion, did y'all see her come *over the top* on Bernadett Hatar last night? *Over the top* on 6-10 Hatar? CROWN HER)

PostPosted: 09/02/23 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we are talking guards/wings, I think Sykes, Cloud, Canada, Laney need to be on either the first or second all defense teams; I don't have a huge preference on who ends up where, but these four are elite (Atkins would likely make this list if she wasn't out so long for injury).

jap

PostPosted: 09/04/23 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordin Canada: "What about me? I am having a breakout season, I am one of the league leaders in steals & assists , and I am a Tasmanian Devil on defense. Plus, I am kind of cute too. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/04/23 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Jordin Canada: "What about me? I am having a breakout season, I am one of the league leaders in steals & assists , and I am a Tasmanian Devil on defense. Plus, I am kind of cute too. Laughing

Kinda cute? She IS attractive without question.

PostPosted: 09/04/23 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
jap wrote:

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some beholders are near-sighted. 😂

PostPosted: 09/04/23 11:53 am    ::: Phee Reply Reply with quote

I would also include Napheesa Collier.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/04/23 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
jap wrote:

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some beholders are near-sighted. 😂

She is more attractive than all those makeup queens that are all over Instagram.

PostPosted: 09/04/23 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
jap wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
jap wrote:

She is more attractive than all those makeup queens that are all over Instagram.

I agree! However, I have had too many people question my choices for lookers over the years. It doesn't really bother me: I like who I like. However, others have their choices, and I tend to let them have their say, even when I feel they are mistaken, even grossly so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: