RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Angel Reese, Superstar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/28/23 9:38 pm    ::: Angel Reese, Superstar Reply Reply with quote

The season of Angel Reese

Quote:
President Joe Biden stepped away from the teleprompter and went off script as he walked toward Angel Reese.

. . . . “And I put my money on you, kid.”

That seems to be a theme these days — putting your money on Reese . . . . when it comes to national recognition — has probably been elevated more than any player who has ever won the NCAA tournament’s most outstanding player award.

Male or female.

Quote:
The impact of Reese’s decision to continue her college career at LSU has been immense.
. . . .

Her style and flair contributed to the most watched women’s basketball game in history (the title game against Iowa peaked at 12.6 million viewers).

And her ability to go against the norms of what’s expected of women athletes . . . . has resulted in the interest in women’s basketball this past season becoming nearly equal to the men’s game (the men’s final averaged 12.34 million viewers, a decline of 17% from the previous year; the women’s final registered an 87% increase from the previous year).

Welcome to the season of Reese, the Bayou Barbie, who is currently riding a sudden wave of popularity that is unlike any we’ve ever witnessed.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/29/23 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Glenn has a crush on Angel Reese..... Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/29/23 8:48 pm    ::: Re: Angel Reese, Superstar Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:
President Joe Biden stepped away from the teleprompter and went off script as he walked toward Angel Reese.

That seems to be a theme these days — putting your money on Reese . . . . when it comes to national recognition — has probably been elevated more than any player who has ever won the NCAA tournament’s most outstanding player award.

Male or female.

Quote:
The impact of Reese’s decision to continue her college career at LSU has been immense.
. . . .

Her style and flair contributed to the most watched women’s basketball game in history (the title game against Iowa peaked at 12.6 million viewers).

And her ability to go against the norms of what’s expected of women athletes . . . . has resulted in the interest in women’s basketball this past season becoming nearly equal to the men’s game (the men’s final averaged 12.34 million viewers, a decline of 17% from the previous year; the women’s final registered an 87% increase from the previous year).

Welcome to the season of Reese, the Bayou Barbie, who is currently riding a sudden wave of popularity that is unlike any we’ve ever witnessed.

This just makes me want to barf. When guys are this "me" oriented, I blame it on testosterone. It usually doesn't take long for that balloon full of hot air to spring a leak, leading to a plunge down to planet earth where we mortals live. It's not the kind of equality I'm looking for - to become as much about puffing up themselves as some men are.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/30/23 1:12 pm    ::: Re: Angel Reese, Superstar Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

Male or female.

Quote:
. . . .

This just makes me want to barf. When guys are this "me" oriented, I blame it on testosterone. It usually doesn't take long for that balloon full of hot air to spring a leak, leading to a plunge down to planet earth where we mortals live. It's not the kind of equality I'm looking for - to become as much about puffing up themselves as some men are.

I think it will cause trouble on some teams, and I think LSU may be one. I'm not sure Kimmy can crack the whip enough to keep the egos from breaking this team apart. We shall see.....

PostPosted: 05/30/23 1:12 pm    ::: Re: Angel Reese, Superstar Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Quote:

Male or female.

Quote:
. . . .

I think it will cause trouble on some teams, and I think LSU may be one. I'm not sure Kimmy can crack the whip enough to keep the egos from breaking this team apart. We shall see.....

PostPosted: 05/31/23 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some more quoted facts from the article linked in the OP, not written by me, which reports Reese's unprecedented, astronomical rise in popularity, celebrity, social media following, and NIL income since transferring to LSU and winning the NC.

Quote:
Reese’s meteoric social media increase, which took her from 110,000 Instagram followers in January to nearly 2 million followers today? That began after she blocked a shot while holding her shoe in a Jan. 19 game against Arkansas and staring down guard Samara Spencer afterward, and her “I don’t fit the narrative” Twitter rant that followed, which more than tripled her followers in a matter of weeks.

Quote:
The social media explosion that followed LSU’s title win over Iowa — the WWE wrestler John Cena-inspired hand gesture and the pointing to her ring finger in the closing seconds of LSU’s championship game win — has elevated her status.

Quote:
Of all the NIL basketball players who played during the NCAA tournament in March, Reese reportedly banked the top commission.

With a social media following of 4.1 million and rising, Reese ranked 10th in NIL evaluations (one of two women in the top 10, according to the On3 Valuation index), and has the top NIL evaluation in women’s college basketball.

Quote:
She’s tight with LSU legend Shaquille O’Neal (she calls him Uncle Shaq) who proclaimed her “the greatest athlete to ever come out of LSU” on his podcast.

She did a TikTok dance with Memphis Grizzlies guard Ja Morant.

She’s FaceTimed with rapper Lil Wayne

Quote:
Where has Reese been since the national championship?

The question should be where hasn’t Reese been.

Quote:
. . . guest on The Jennifer Hudson Show . . . .

. . . her 21st birthday celebration in Atlanta at Revel nightclub, a trendy spot where Ne-Yo, Rae Sremmurd and Omarion have been known to pop bottles.

She sat in the stands at a Miami Heat playoff game . . . .

And she’s traveled to New York, appearing at the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue release party (Reese and LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne are the first college athletes to appear as Sports Illustrated swimsuit models), the Disney upfronts and a visit to the Meta office in Manhattan.

Quote:
Reese was in Colorado Springs, Colorado, two weeks ago practicing as a member of the USA team that will represent the country at the FIBA Women’s AmericCup that starts on July 1 in Mexico.

I believe all this attention, celebrity, fame and money qualifies Reese as an unprecedented superstar as a mere junior in college—among all sorts of sports personalities, Hollywood stars, big corporate interests, and millions of social media followers—if not among a few old critics on RebKell.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 05/31/23 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Quote:
She’s tight with LSU legend Shaquille O’Neal (she calls him Uncle Shaq) who proclaimed her “the greatest athlete to ever come out of LSU” on his podcast.

Her bombastic personality has garnered her lots of attention, but this is ridiculous. The stats below don't even suggest star, much less superstar, much much much less greatest anything.

singinerd54 wrote:
I mentioned this twice throughout the season, but bears repeating with a now larger sample size: Angel Reese struggles offensively.

LSU played 15 games against teams that ultimately ranked in the NET Top 50. Reese shot 102/239 in those games (42.7%). She shot above 50% twice (there were also two games where she shot 50%). She shot below 40% six times.

For a post player with no perimeter game, yikes. I struggle to see her defending and scoring on centers (in the WNBA), and without a perimeter game, that's basically what she is.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/01/23 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's good, but she ain't Candace, or Brittney, or Diana.She's just loud and got an agent who's making her money, and Glenn has a crush on her. Very Happy

PostPosted: 06/01/23 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yea she will get dropped when she gets to the W and barely plays and it’s obvious she is no Diana or Ace unless they think her followers are legit. Also Shaq is crazy, I want him to say that to Mone and Big Syl’s faces. Laughing

NYSports56

PostPosted: 06/01/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see "Angel Reese, Superstar," and I think "Wyle E. Coyote, Supergenius." Smile

I'm pretty neutral on Angel. I did not like what she did seeking out Kaitlin Clark to taunt her; celebration is fine; taunting sucks. However, the hypocritical double-standard many people have used to interpret her behavior and demonize her have kind of thrown me back into her camp. I also love the Bayou Barbie nickname.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/01/23 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People said Parker and Taurasi would be exposed at the next level too. People always think the old players were better than the new ones.

PostPosted: 06/01/23 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Reese a superstar basketball player? Not there yet. Is she a superstar media celebrity? Yes.

PostPosted: 06/02/23 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Quote:
Reese’s meteoric social media increase, which took her from 110,000 Instagram followers in January to nearly 2 million followers today? That began after she blocked a shot while holding her shoe in a Jan. 19 game against Arkansas and staring down guard Samara Spencer afterward, and her “I don’t fit the narrative” Twitter rant that followed, which more than tripled her followers in a matter of weeks.

Quote:
The social media explosion that followed LSU’s title win over Iowa — the WWE wrestler John Cena-inspired hand gesture and the pointing to her ring finger in the closing seconds of LSU’s championship game win — has elevated her status.

Call me old-fashioned (cuz I AM) but these numbers propelling her to *star* status speak far more to the change in our culture's values and ethics than it does to her actual quality as a star. It's perfectly in line with the ever-evolving strategy of someone like T-rump & Co., who cash in on being abrasively, unabashedly controversial assholes: currently, a huge sector of our society is DRAWN to that. It's brought him a shit-ton of wealth, why not EVERYBODY go that route?

To me, once she did the taunting thing, she was garbage. Pretty, talented, outspoken garbage.

PostPosted: 06/02/23 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are correct. Howee, and i am not impressed.Not be her, or by the entire LSU shtick.

PostPosted: 06/02/23 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reese has signed a deal with Starry and has been featured in two commercials so far with NBA All-Stars Zion Williamson and KAT.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1664335662131060737

https://twitter.com/i/status/1664335788518064129
pilight

PostPosted: 06/02/23 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reese in this video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-WtNCR3EDS4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 06/03/23 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Yea she will get dropped when she gets to the W and barely plays and it’s obvious she is no Diana or Ace unless they think her followers are legit. Also Shaq is crazy, I want him to say that to Mone and Big Syl’s faces. Laughing

I have always thought that Augustus was under-rated, but it is a fact that Reese's team won an NCAA title and the others never did. For some, that is all that really matters.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/03/23 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Call me old-fashioned (cuz I AM) but these numbers propelling her to *star* status speak far more to the change in our culture's values and ethics than it does to her actual quality as a star. It's perfectly in line with the ever-evolving strategy of someone like T-rump & Co., who cash in on being abrasively, unabashedly controversial assholes: currently, a huge sector of our society is DRAWN to that. It's brought him a shit-ton of wealth, why not EVERYBODY go that route?

To me, once she did the taunting thing, she was garbage. Pretty, talented, outspoken garbage.

Thank you Howie for speaking on behalf of all of us completely unimpressed by Angel Reese. Can't really blame her for cashing in on her 15 minutes of fame, because that's likely where it ends. Her #1 skill is missing shots near the basket, then rebounding her miss. Yes, that one skill helped her team get the 'ship and a ring on her finger. But all that fame and all that cash does not change the fact that she's a highly self centered person and player and obnoxious AF.

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/03/23 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Is Reese a superstar basketball player? Not there yet. Is she a superstar media celebrity? Yes.

I agree with this. The superstardom I've been referring to is her celebrity, which is certainly unprecedented given this era of NIL and expanded social media.

However, she certainly has also been a big basketball performance star, if not yet a superstar, in her college career. Especially this past season when, as a consensus first team AA as a junior, she was first in the country in double-doubles, second in RPG, fifth in PPG, and had a FG% (52.5%) only 3% behind consensus AA Aliyah Boston.

I don't agree that the record viewing audience for the NC game was mostly due to Reese, but rather equally or more due to Caitlin Clark's super 41 point performances in the prior two NCAA games.

But millions and millions apparently LOVED IT when Reese Cena-gestured Clark, saying "This ain't no one man show"—thus exposing Clark as a ballhogging chucker, in the minds of many, while Reese played a quietly integrated team game: fourth in team scoring, first in rebounding, and second in assists in only 29 minutes.

The very things a few folks here don't like about Reese, millions of fans, social media followers and corporate advertisers do: namely, her personality, her self-confidence, her showtime-primetime-ness, and her attitude. I bet the NCAA loves the attention she is bringing to WCBB.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/05/23 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She can make a living as an influencer on YouTube when her WNBA career goes bust because she's spending too much time on social media, maybe. /s That's what I see in her future.

PostPosted: 10/18/23 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel Reese Gets Reebok's First Long-Term NIL Deal

Quote:
Today, Reebok announced that it has signed LSU women’s basketball star Angel Reese. This is the brand’s first long-term name, image and likeness (NIL) partnership.

“Also, it’s a statement about the type of personality we’re looking for. She’s irreverent, she’s got this love me or hate me attitude, she’s very strong willed. She’s also obviously as influential off the court as she is on the court.

He continued, “This is the profile, male or female, of the type of basketball player we want to be in business with.”
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/18/23 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Angel Reese Gets Reebok's First Long-Term NIL Deal

Quote:
Today, Reebok announced that it has signed LSU women’s basketball star Angel Reese. This is the brand’s first long-term name, image and likeness (NIL) partnership.

“Also, it’s a statement about the type of personality we’re looking for. She’s irreverent, she’s got this love me or hate me attitude, she’s very strong willed. She’s also obviously as influential off the court as she is on the court.

He continued, “This is the profile, male or female, of the type of basketball player we want to be in business with.”

Damn! I usually wear reeboks!! May need to re-think that.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: