RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MY *pronouns*....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 04/24/23 4:00 pm    ::: MY *pronouns*.... Reply Reply with quote

IYouMeHeSheTheyItUsThemWeWHATEVER.

Very trendy, this attention to pronouns. I don't give a flip what ya wanna call me. Razz (...tho I certainly try to honor the choices of those for whom it matters)

HOWEVER. I don't think I can remember a time in "our" game when ME was such a dominantly powerful pronoun. The old adage, "There is no "I" in TEAM" had its day, but now? Well any kids in the portal that might have ever bought into that idea have apparently realized there ARE big, clear "M"s & "E"s in TEAM. As in, "Which new team can do the most for ME?"

Point A: I'm not here to judge any of these kids as bad, disloyal, etc.
Point B: I'm actually interested in how the dynamics will change the fortunes of any given team (who will be the next Kim in '23-24'?)
Point C: I understand the unique opportunity the bonus year has provided, along with NCAA's relaxation of rules, especially for grad kids.

That said, I am trying to figure out how profound this is....or isn't.

Point C: Can't a kid know, well into their freshman year, if their chosen team is a good *fit* or not? Certainly, by sophomore year....
Point D: Can this be boiled down to Talent > Fame > $$$$ > Best Possible Life, therefore....?
Point E: We all get the "better fit" thing....our own Hoopsmom's daughter Hannah was a perfect example of that. And there's a lot of that, so....good!
But what seems very selfish is the high number of players who are all trying to climb aboard Kim or Dawn's ship, i.e., My best shot at a National Championship ring.

Yeah, transfers aren't new: I was glad when Minyon and Endyia each defected from USC to Oregon without Redshirt penalties. But now, kids are opting for their 3rd or 4th school. I didn't foresee this cultural shift until the NIL thang broke loose. It seems to have converted the Pride & Honor of Interscholastic Competition into "Let's Follow The Pro Sports Model" of acquiring fame and fortune. ASAP.

Or is that too harsh a perspective? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: