RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Will Break Plum's Scoring Record?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will break Kelsey Plum's Record
Caitlin Clark
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Aneesah Morrow
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Ta'Niya Latson
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2 of the 3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
All 3
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
None
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/01/23 6:54 pm    ::: Who Will Break Plum's Scoring Record? Reply Reply with quote

All 3 are on pace to do it.

PostPosted: 01/01/23 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A large part of breaking that record is having a coach who will allow you to just chuck the ball up at will.

Morrow has taken over 100 more shots than either Clark or Latson. As long as Doug let's her continue that, she has the best chance.

She an attraction. Probably helps DePaul sell tickets for that big arena 7 miles south of campus. The other two schools are trying to win games and conference championships.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/03/23 5:50 pm    ::: Re: Who Will Break Plum's Scoring Record? Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
All 3 are on pace to do it.

If you've done the stat research (and still know it) I'd love to see exactly where each kid stands, in relation to Plum. I personally think Clark will be the NEXT to do it, 'next' is obvious by way of being a junior. Interesting question, tho.

PostPosted: 04/01/23 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i am fully supportive of Clark or anyone breaking Kelsey Plum's NCAA scoring record in four years.

i am even more supportive of Clark or anyone breaking Kansas' Lynette Woodard's Div. I women's college basketball scoring record in four years. that record has existed since Woodard set it in 1981.

Woodard finished at 3,649 points.
Plum finished at 3,527 points.

Clark is currently at 2,687 points.

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/03/23 2:03 am; edited 3 times in total
PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/02/23 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
i am fully supportive of Clark or anyone breaking Kelsey Plum's NCAA scoring record in four years.

i am even more supportive of Clark or anyone breaking Kansas' Lynette Woodard's women's college basketball scoring record in four years. that record has existed since Woodard set it in 1981.

Clark is currently at 2,687 points.

Kudos to you for noting Woodard. The "all-time scoring leaders" lists that I see tend to not mention her because college WBB wasn't officially "NCAA" when Woodard played ('77-'81). Woodard was the first superstar WBB player I saw play in person: Mizzou vs Kansas, coaches Joan Rutherford vs Marian Washington. I didn't know who she was at the time. I lived in Missouri (later graduated from Mizzou) and my coach took our team to the game in Columbia. I was supposed to be a Mizzou fan but from the moment I saw Woodward warming up I just knew she was something special. After the game I was one of a ton of girls gathered around to get her autograph (which I still have in a Nike shoebox somewhere). Years later I got to see her play (briefly) for the Detroit Shock.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/02/23 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three full seasons into her college career, Clark is officially at 2,717 points heading into the offseason. She is 810 points away from Plum’s record, and 932 points away from Woodard’s record. A reminder that Clark ended up scoring 1,055 total points this season alone.

PG4ever wrote:
Kudos to you for noting Woodard. The "all-time scoring leaders" lists that I see tend to not mention her because college WBB wasn't officially "NCAA" when Woodard played ('77-'81). Woodard was the first superstar WBB player I saw play in person: Mizzou vs Kansas, coaches Joan Rutherford vs Marian Washington. I didn't know who she was at the time. I lived in Missouri (later graduated from Mizzou) and my coach took our team to the game in Columbia. I was supposed to be a Mizzou fan but from the moment I saw Woodward warming up I just knew she was something special. After the game I was one of a ton of girls gathered around to get her autograph (which I still have in a Nike shoebox somewhere). Years later I got to see her play (briefly) for the Detroit Shock.

👍🏼 and thank you for sharing your thoughts! i literally only found Woodard’s record the other day when i got curious as to who has the pre-NCAA points record that i knew still stood today but didn’t know who held it & what it was. Woodard’s name surely was mentioned when i was following Plum’s career and she was creeping close to her record, but i think i didn’t retain Woodard’s name cuz her record was fundamentally out of Plum’s reach.

because Woodard accomplished her record so long ago, video of her collegiate career is pretty hard to find – her Harlem Globetrotter career seems to be more documented in comparison. she was also a bit too ahead of her time to really get accustomed to WNBA audiences – so i’m glad you got to see her play for the Shock! anyway, all of this was before my time. if Caitlin Clark breaks Woodard’s record next season – a big if, still – there’ll be plenty of documentation for future generations here in the digital age. Clark’s namesake & legacy would truly live on – even more so than it would be if she didn’t break the record imo, or even just breaking Plum’s NCAA record. maybe that’s not a good reason to root for Clark breaking both records, but that’s how i feel.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/02/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see the records unified by someone- whoever it may be- breaking both of them. I think the gap between Plum's record being broken and Woodard's record being broken would bring more attention to players whose careers were lost in the abyss, whose best years were never recorded.

PostPosted: 04/02/23 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Plum scored 3527 points in 139 games, 25.37 per game. Lynette Woodard scored 3649 points in 139 games, 26.25 per game.

There are 8 other players who have averaged more points than Plum with more than 100 games played:

Patricia Hoskins 28.38 (3122 points/110 games)
Sandra Hodge 26.73 (2860/107)
Elena Delle Donne 26.66 (3039/114)
Jackie Stiles 26.30 (3393/129)
Lorri Bauman 26.02 (3122/120)
Andrea Congreaves 25.89 (2796/108)
Cindy Blodgett 25.47 (3005/118)
Valerie Whiteside 25.38 (2944/116)

Caitlin Clark 27.17 (2717/100)

If Clark maintains her average next year it will take 30 games for her to pass Plum and 35 to pass Woodard. Clark would need to average 32 points per game to overtake Patricia Hoskins for highest average per game.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/02/23 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
A large part of breaking that record is having a coach who will allow you to just chuck the ball up at will.

Morrow has taken over 100 more shots than either Clark or Latson. As long as Doug let's her continue that, she has the best chance.

She an attraction. Probably helps DePaul sell tickets for that big arena 7 miles south of campus. The other two schools are trying to win games and conference championships.

As long as Morrow stays at DePaul, she won't play in enough games to break any records. 6 more games = 150 more pts per year. I'm including conf tournament games plus March Madness games. I believe they got knocked out pretty early in the BE tournament.

~rAf
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/03/23 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the first link Pearl Moore scored 3,884 points in her college career. And she actually broke 4,000 if you count her semester at Anderson Junior college.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/2023/AIAW.pdf

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Moore

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noted that Woodard's record is specific to Division I. unless Clark stays an extra season, nobody's catching Moore's – that is, until a 5-star prospect one day decides to just fuck around & find out if they can smash a record or two by going to a Div.-II or -III school. not sure why they'd do that, but to each their own!

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Clark stays for a fifth season, like she hinted she was planning to, she should shatter all of them. Of course, that would be a less than thrilling way to do it.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/06/23 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
noted that Woodard's record is specific to Division I. unless Clark stays an extra season, nobody's catching Moore's – that is, until a 5-star prospect one day decides to just fuck around & find out if they can smash a record or two by going to a Div.-II or -III school. not sure why they'd do that, but to each their own!

It would be interesting if she finishes next year close to the record, if that would play a role in her decision to stay to break it.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/06/23 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
If Clark stays for a fifth season, like she hinted she was planning to, she should shatter all of them. Of course, that would be a less than thrilling way to do it.

On the men's side this season, Antoine Davis of Detroit Mercy finished his career four points shy of Pete Maravich's 53-year-old career record of 3,667 points. He says he feels "cheated" because his 14-19 team didn't get invited to a post-season tournament.

How does Davis really compare to the Pistol?

→ Davis played a Covid season for a total of five seasons, whereas Maravich set his record in three seasons because freshmen couldn't play on varsity in the 1960s.

→ There was no three point line when Maravich played. It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted all of Maravich's frequent long shots and concluded he could have averaged as many 12 three-pointers per game.

→ There was no shot clock in Maravich's time, and many teams played at slow paces or went into stall ball when leading at the end of games.

→ None of Maravich's LSU teams went to the NCAA tournament because there were fewer total and at-large teams then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: