RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Name, Image, Likeness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/12/22 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is EXACTLY the same as non-athlete Instagram and TikTok models and influencers. It is just that women who, because they play NCAA sports, couldn't previously take the money are now free to do so. And a few women like Dunne and the Cavinders had the drive, ambition, business sense and foresight to see NIL was coming, to build their social media followings ahead of time, and be prepared to start signing big-dollar deals on day 1. I admire them. And they are busting their asses adding "creating content daily" to the normal heavy workload of workouts, practices, training, classes, studies, etc of any college athlete. They earned their lofty earnings. Who says the supposedly "more talented ( in your view) sisterhood" is entitled to more money than others who may or may not be "less talented" athletically but may be more savvy and motivated to build their physiques, take care of their hair and clothes, and spend hours every days doing dumb stuff for the camera that attracts people to their websites?

They are leveraging their status as athletes to produce content involving training regimines and fitness, and the excitement of sports and competition, to distinguish themselves from simple clothes/makeup/bikini influencers.

But what they are doing is remarkably different from the typical and anticipated athletic shoe and car promotion contracts and booster backed deals going to men's BB and FB players. Those deals are just largely handouts to attract star men's athletes in big money sports. In contrast these women are doing this on their own with help of their own agents, media companies, and entourages. I don't believe many people saw this coming.

Any "it's all about sexy blonde white girl" complaints is no different than those applicable to the entire social media influencer world. Do you want to deny them the same opportunity just because they're athletes?

As I said the criticism is no different than that directed at Kournakova years ago. It's not any "less fair" than making $20M/yr because you were born to become 7'4" rather than 5'6".

What do you and Tara want to do, ban the Olivia Dunnes of the world from collecting ad money because they're "unfairly" cute and blonde and haven't chosen to cover their entire bodies in tattoos?

You know, if there's ever been an "equitable" marketplace, it's the internet. You just need to have the idea and put in the effort. Go come up with an idea and produce and market content someone might want to view. Go come up with some new silly dance. Write a song or even lip synch someone else's song. Do crazy trick basketball shots. Teach cooking or some hobby. It takes thought and a lot of effort. Just don't whine that it's "unfair" when someone else puts in the effort and beats you to it.

Why is it any more "unfair" to be born with "cuteness" genes than it is to be borne with the genes that make you tall, or strong, or fast or have incredible reflexes or coordination? Maybe your "ugly duckling" can't ever look look Olivia Dunne no matter how hard she tries but I can't play ball like Kevin Durant no matter how hard I try. I call unfair.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/12/22 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a thought. Personally I'm a lot less troubled by women like Dunne and the Cavinders being freed to make money ON THEIR OWN by doing things any non-athlete is free to do as well (and thousands are doing) than I am by schools telling recruits "come here and we've got big money endorsement deals just waiting for your signature that will guarantee you $xxxxxx/year" or "come here and we'll give you shares in the money-making corporations we've created to generate payments to our players."

Boost Mobile and the athleisure clothing companies paying the Cavinders money to promote their products on Instagram aren't paying them to go play basketball for Miami, they were already paying them when they were playing for Fresno State. All the NIL rules did was let them receive the money without losing their college eligibility. They created the content, attracted the followers, and made the deals themselves. They're getting rich from their own creativity and hard work.

Seems a lot less corrupt and a lot more "equitable" to me. Instagram and TikTok are out there available to anyone to use.

Sorry Tara if you don't like not being the one in control of how to hand out the money.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/30/22 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s the middle of the afternoon and Jada Williams begins a live stream on Instagram. In a heartbeat, more than 1,000 of her 671,000 followers join the broadcast and begin typing in questions and comments.

https://www.wane.com/top-stories/social-media-makes-jada-williams-a-face-of-high-school-nil/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 11/30/22 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
It’s the middle of the afternoon and Jada Williams begins a live stream on Instagram. In a heartbeat, more than 1,000 of her 671,000 followers join the broadcast and begin typing in questions and comments.

God bless this kid, but.....there's something a little sad to me about the thousands of followers glued to this. Just a generational thing, but....who knows? Maybe they're all 11 and need a role model - Jada is far better than someone like the Kardashians.

PostPosted: 03/16/23 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just recently saw Yonta Vaughn, freshman guard at the University of Virginia, in a commercial for The Good Feet Store.

https://www.cavfutures.com/yonta

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/2JpT/the-good-feet-store-playing-up-featuring-yonta-vaughn

PostPosted: 03/21/23 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I know it's an unpopular take, but I say

nil to NIL.

I'm not against players making money, but I'd rather it be some type of a shared revenue thing.

I suppose but if Paige is bringing in $250,000 for her likeness and her unnamed teammate brings in $1000, $250, $750, $100, $200, a few with $0 respectively for their likenesses, are you saying each player (12 for instance) should get $21,025?
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/21/23 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

nil to NIL.

I'm not against players making money, but I'd rather it be some type of a shared revenue thing.

I suppose but if Paige is bringing in $250,000 for her likeness and her unnamed teammate brings in $1000, $250, $750, $100, $200, a few with $0 respectively for their likenesses, are you saying each player (12 for instance) should get $21,025?

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!" — Someone said that.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/22/23 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

nil to NIL.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!" — Someone said that.

Most certainly NEVER uttered by a true Capitalist. Razz

PostPosted: 03/23/23 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

nil to NIL.

Sooooo.... yes?

Yeah, pretty famous (or infamous) person at that depending on whose eyes you view him through.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 03/23/23 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

nil to NIL.

Most certainly NEVER uttered by a true Capitalist. Razz

Yep. But even in a capitalist country, it still has social programs, theoretically those that have are giving to those that don't have. Even though the wealthiest of the haves find a way to get away with not doing that.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/29/23 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin Clark NIL deals.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2023/03/29/iowa-womens-basketball-caitlin-clark-list-nil-deals-nike-bose/11560803002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/03/23 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel Reese Gets The Bag And The Whip After Signing NIL Deal With Mercedes-Benz Dealership On Her 21st Birthday
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/03/23 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Angel Reese Gets The Bag And The Whip After Signing NIL Deal With Mercedes-Benz Dealership On Her 21st Birthday

https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/model/eqs/sedan/eqs580v4

$125,950 Disclaimer* MSRP

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/04/23 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Higher Learning.

PostPosted: 05/11/23 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "I got, at Michigan, less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2023/05/11/kansas-transfer-hunter-dickinson-got-less-than-6-figures-at-michigan/70206618007/

Howee

PostPosted: 05/11/23 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
"The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000 increase," Dickinson said. "I got, at Michigan, less than six figures. I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2023/05/11/kansas-transfer-hunter-dickinson-got-less-than-6-figures-at-michigan/70206618007/

Interesting. Now, HERE'S an idea....a kid like him (or HVL, Clark, BBQ, Fudd, etc.) making six figures on NIL above and beyond what they *get* for tuition, room/board/etc., might be so kind as to repay their scholarship $$$ to help an incoming athlete that doesn't/can't get anything like that. Y'know....? Paying it forward. Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/11/23 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. Now, HERE'S an idea....a kid like him (or HVL, Clark, BBQ, Fudd, etc.) making six figures on NIL above and beyond what they *get* for tuition, room/board/etc., might be so kind as to repay their scholarship $$$ to help an incoming athlete that doesn't/can't get anything like that. Y'know....? Paying it forward. Very Happy

You're dreaming again Howee. Smile

Howee

PostPosted: 05/11/23 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, YA. I mean, his quote:

Quote:
I basically gave that up to try to be selfish and do what's best for me and my career, not what's best for anybody else's career,"

....'splains it all. Razz Capitalism at its finest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: