RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 03/19/23 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Here’s another big mystery I’ve been wondering about.

I saw in stormeo’s list that Reese is listed as a sophomore. Howee was calling her a sophomore earlier in the season in the game threads, because he looked it up and that’s what he found.

Reese played 15 games her freshman season at Maryland.
She played a played a full season her next season at Maryland.
Now Reese is playing her first season at LSU.

How does that make her anything but a junior for basketball eligibility?
15 games seems too much for a redshirt, and I haven’t read anything about her redshirting.
Who cares about her academic standing if that’s the issue?
She has the option of a extra covid year, but that doesn’t mean she’s a sophomore now.

But even responsible sports media companies like ESPN are representing her as a sophomore.

I wonder if this an elaborate scheme by LSU to make Reese believe she’s an actual sophomore.

As far as the NCAA is concerned her freshman year didn't happen, regarding the 2020-2021 season the NCAA has said that year doesn't count toward eligibility, so anyone that played that season doesn't have it count toward their eligibility, she maybe a junior academically but as far as basketball she is a sophomore.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/19/23 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
It's not misleading because the NCAA has said that year doesn't count, for all intense and purposes act like that year didn't happen so schools are "labeling" student athletes as such. And schools have always listed players by their eligibility as opposed to their years in school. In all the years I've been in college basketball I can't recall a time when schools didn't label their student athletes by their eligibility.

—the phrase is "all intents and purposes"
—but not every school is categorizing student-athletes' class standings using the same standard across the board. that's the problem – that's what's misleading. they don't even all display the same information. LSU lists a player's Class and Experience [with the team]. Not every team – such as Maryland, for example, where Angel Reese transferred in from – lists that Experience. And then there's Ole Miss, which differentiates the true seniors who have an extra season of eligibility remaining ('Senior' with a * next to it) from the seniors who don't (just 'Senior' by itself). that might be the clearest way of doing it, but Ole Miss' way in addition to Marquette's way as Queenie mentioned is much more of an exception than the standard.
—back to LSU for a sec: Kateri Poole, like Angel Reese, transferred into LSU after her second season in which she was listed as a sophomore [at Ohio State], and is listed as a sophomore again. Meanwhile, Emily Ward who is in her fourth season with the team is listed as a senior, and not a junior as it relates to her eligibility. so maybe Poole and Reese haven't yet gotten the necessary credits to advance to "upper-classmen" status, but that of course isn't very clear. and then there's Alexis Morris who was listed as a "5th-year Senior" last season – and is again listed as such this season. i think i get the sentiment of doing that, but still – long year for her or what? so LSU's own way of listing class standing is itself a little funky... and one could perhaps argue, as misleading.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/20/23 2:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
According to Tara presser after loss to Ole Miss, Hannah Jump is returning. No one else. Belibi going into some program at Harvard (Med. School?) but probably won't be able to play basketball there.

i didn’t see the presser, but apparently both Haley Jones and Ashten Prechtel are turning pro. https://twitter.com/hoopfeed/status/1637674109978169345

Prechtel is… uhh… not gonna be much of a WNBA prospect, to say the least. Embarassed she actually gradually got worse from freshman to senior year lmfao woof. not sure why she doesn’t just grad-transfer to someone who could use a former 5-star, stretch-5 prospect – many teams out there would! – but follow your dreams & all, i guess.

Haley Jones, meanwhile, could be the next #1 Pick if all the wrong players return to school! Laughing

insidewinder

PostPosted: 03/21/23 1:53 pm    ::: Prechtel Reply Reply with quote

Prechtel has her Masters degree already. I guess she could go for another one or start on a doctorate, but I assume the decision to turn pro, if that's what she ends up doing, is because she doesn't really need more school. She is an engineering major I believe.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/21/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder could we see the Lynx or Mystics doing a Tamika Catchings with Stephanie Soares (draft and sit out 1st year) at Pick #2 or #4

Shades

PostPosted: 03/22/23 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I wonder could we see the Lynx or Mystics doing a Tamika Catchings with Stephanie Soares (draft and sit out 1st year) at Pick #2 or #4

Naw, I’m hoping the new Lynx GM Spooner comes through for us. 🙏🏻

J-Spoon wrote:

2. Minn H. Jones
12. Minn Soares
16. Minn Juhasz
24. Minn Amihere

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/22/23 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephanie Soares' petition to get another season of eligibility at Iowa State got denied, so her college career truly has come to a close, making her officially Draft-eligible.

JMU’s Kiki Jefferson announced she’ll be transferring, which of course implies that she won’t be turning pro this spring.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/22/23 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

J-Spoon wrote:

2. Minn H. Jones
12. Minn Soares
16. Minn Juhasz
24. Minn Amihere

Suarez is worth the wait i can see a team later in the first round using the pick as deferred possibly us ...hopefully us with 3 first rd picks.

PostPosted: 03/22/23 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Stephanie Soares' petition to get another season of eligibility at Iowa State got denied, so her college career truly has come to a close, making her officially Draft-eligible.

JMU’s Kiki Jefferson announced she’ll be transferring, which of course implies that she won’t be turning pro this spring.

meanwhile, Dyaisha Fair will be neither transferring nor turning pro this spring – she has announced she’ll be returning to Syracuse.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/22/23 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

J-Spoon wrote:

2. Minn H. Jones
12. Minn Soares
16. Minn Juhasz
24. Minn Amihere

Suarez is worth the wait i can see a team later in the first round using the pick as deferred possibly us ...hopefully us with 3 first rd picks.

Originally when I said Soares at 12 I thought it was a little high, but I liked the fit with Minny and did not think Soares would make it to Minny at 16 because Indy has its 3rd pick at 13 and Atl has its 3rd pick at 15 and even with LA picking at 10 they could have gone deferral with 14 so while I thought 12 was high I thought Minny would make that move but now

If a couple more top picks decide to return to school I could definitely see Dallas considering Soares at 11 and I could even see Atl at 8 or Indy at 7.

Indy has 1, 7 and 13 Atl who probably only has two spots for draftees has 6, 8 and 15 LA even with 10 and 14 probably only has one spot for a draftee so why not use a higher pick on Soares and getting a true center with skill and size.

Even with some of the top players falling out there are plenty of wings and guards to choose from late first or early 2nd round for Indy at 13, LA at 14 and Atl at 15. If you have say Z. Cooke, Osborne, Taylor, Lopez-Senechal, Morris, Sheldon, Miksell, Berger, Owusu, M. Williams, Brown all sort of floating in a similar tier on your draft board and you have a bunch of picks you can go deferral at a higher pick and still have decent g/w options available for a later pick to fill out the back end of your roster. Even if you want a post this season you could defer with Soares and still have some of the 2nd tier post available at your later pick like Juhasz, Carter, Jackson, Holmes, Amihere, Mendjiadue, Czinano

In short I still like Soares for Minny at 12 but could easily see her going higher as other players decide to return to school.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/24/23 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Villanova's Maddy Siegrist likely headed to WNBA draft

Quote:
Villanova Wildcats women's basketball star Maddy Siegrist said Friday she would talk with her parents about the decision to declare for the WNBA draft. But she seemed pretty certain her college career was over after the No. 4 seed Wildcats' 70-65 Sweet 16 loss to the No. 9 seed Miami Hurricanes in the Greenville 2 Regional.

"You know, this was a good way to go out," Siegrist said in the Villanova locker room. "Making this round with this team, it was really special."

"I couldn't be more happy to play with this group," Siegrist said. "I got to Villanova and just wanted to be good enough to play here. A lot of the things that happened, I never thought could have happened.

"Trying to put it in perspective now is tough, but I'm really proud how far I came, and I'm proud of my career."

i think this would be the right decision for her – something i don't say about most senior prospects who still have remaining eligibility

things will become official for most prospects by Monday

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/24/23 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't blame people for going back to school - staying a student for an extra year, avoiding joining the real world for a bit longer, has obvious appeal - but it does feel like the right time for Siegrist to turn pro. Even as the all-time leading college scorer, she could get lost in the shuffle a bit amongst all the names who could be involved next year. This year it's Boston (hopefully) and then a lot of "well, maybe..."s.

Even if she doesn't really make it at WNBA level, you can definitely see Siegrist scoring a hell of a lot of points overseas.

PostPosted: 03/26/23 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, I don't blame people for going back to school - staying a student for an extra year, avoiding joining the real world for a bit longer, has obvious appeal - but it does feel like the right time for Siegrist to turn pro. Even as the all-time leading college scorer, she could get lost in the shuffle a bit amongst all the names who could be involved next year. This year it's Boston (hopefully) and then a lot of "well, maybe..."s.

Even if she doesn't really make it at WNBA level, you can definitely see Siegrist scoring a hell of a lot of points overseas.

Yes, all records will be broken - except those that become obsolete. This is something that two coaches chasing the all time win record need to keep in mind - if that is the reason they remain in coaching. Whatever record they might achieve, it will be broken so their legacy will be "held the record for x years until it was broken."

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 03/27/23 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel’s first round draft as of 3/21/23
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/35905336/wnba-mock-draft-2023-picks-player-projections
(See Voepel commentary at the link. My commentary in red)

1. Indiana Fever: Aliyah Boston
(I can’t imagine her not being a lock at #1 if she enters the draft. If she wins another NCAA championship, she’s proven all she needs to prove at the college level. She can instantly make Indiana her own team along with her old teammate, Henny)

2. Minnesota Lynx: Diamond Miller
(As a Lynx fan, I wouldn’t be angry at this pick, but it’s not exactly a position of need (Collier, Powers, McBrick, Carleton) and Miller isn’t that tremendous of a player that they should ignore position of need. More and more, I’m eyeing up Stephanie Soares. She is presumably a deferral pick and nothing the Lynx have done in the off-season shows that they are interested in being a good team this year. If the Lynx could lock up one of the Top 2 guards next year, they could be relevant again as soon as 2024. Soares is Brazilian like current Lynx member Dantas, and the Lynx have never seemed to have overseas conflicts with Dantas.)

3. Dallas Wings: Jordan Horston
(Seems a little high for me, but this is Bibb we’re talking about.)

4. Washington Mystics: Stephanie Soares
(On the one hand, I could see it. If Thibault was scouting Iowa State for Joens, the play of Soares is gonna stick out to him. On the other hand, aren’t the Mystics putting all their center eggs in the Shakira Austin basket? I suppose the Mystics could make Austin more of a perimeter player like both her Delle Donne would prefer to be.)

5. Dallas Wings: Maddy Siegrist
(I don’t know. I’m not really feeling her as a Dallas Wings player. And does Haley Jones really get disrespected this much?)

6. Atlanta Dream: Haley Jones
(Voepel has fallen into the Megdal trap of anyone who doesn’t have a three point shot in college isn’t worthy of a high pick. That’s why Megdal projected Finals MVP Kahleah Copper as a third round pick in the 2016 draft. I’m still steaming over that.)

7. Indiana Fever: Brea Beal
(Just a cutesy pick by Voepel to match her up with her South Carolina teammate.)

8. Atlanta Dream: Elizabeth Kitley
(Maybe it is too risky to take Kitley as a high pick, but she seems like a winner. She has her team in the NCAAT Elite 8 and we’ll find out tonight if she makes it to the Final 4. That’s a lot of visibility for a Virginia Tech player who doesn’t get much hype.)

9. Seattle Storm: Grace Berger
(Not because she’s an Indiana player, but this seems like a pick the Fever might make. If Sheldon enters the draft, I see her as a better bet and fit.)

10. Los Angeles Sparks: Ashley Joens
(People had Joens going much higher early in the 2023 draft talk, so does going at #10 represent a bargain for the Sparks, or just closer to what should be the reality. I don’t know. I think she has a chance to stick to a roster.)

11. Dallas Wings: Lou Lopez Senechal

12. Minnesota Lynx: Laeticia Amihere
(This would fall in line with the off-season that the Lynx have had so far. They’re going to pick a college bench player in the first round. This might set a precedence for the WNBA. It is a bench player for very deep South Carolina team, but still a bench player for a reason. I’d like to give her a shot, but in the second round like Spooner had her going to the Lynx.)

Last edited by Shades on 03/27/23 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/27/23 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s a quote from Alexis Morris, PG for LSU:
Quote:
"I want my Senior Night to be in Dallas (where the Women's Final Four is being held). I'm a Texas kid, so my ultimate goal is to get back home. That's where I would love to celebrate my last game, in Texas."

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2023/02/26/kim-mulkey-emotional-lsu-womens-basketball-pg-alexis-morris/69916141007/

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/27/23 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Siegrist has officially turned pro & entered the Draft

we shall see who else officially enters in the next several hours, and beyond – and if we’ll see any surprises

i’ll guess that Horston in particular will stay in school with Key & Jackson

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/23 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Voepel has fallen into the Megdal trap of anyone who doesn’t have a three point shot in college isn’t worthy of a high pick

None of the players Voepel put in the lottery has a three point shot.

PostPosted: 03/27/23 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Laeticia Amihere

In the Elite Eight, an important game that was competitive throughout, Amihere played seven minutes and went 0/2 from the floor with one rebound, 0 assists, a turnover, and a foul. She's no kind of first rounder. All she does is look good in garbage time.

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maddy Siegrist at #4, please

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/27/23 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:
Laeticia Amihere

In the Elite Eight, an important game that was competitive throughout, Amihere played seven minutes and went 0/2 from the floor with one rebound, 0 assists, a turnover, and a foul. She's no kind of first rounder. All she does is look good in garbage time.

People understand that this is not the NBA and no one is drafting someone for their ~*~potential~*~ as a ~*~*~project~*~*~, right?

PostPosted: 03/28/23 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you’re a “project”, the last person you want to get drafted by is Reeve. She doesn’t really do projects. Not enough roster space and not enough patience from Reeve. A project should much rather get drafted by Thibault or maybe a hapless team like the Fever.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/28/23 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If you’re a “project”, the last person you want to get drafted by is Reeve. She doesn’t really do projects. Not enough roster space and not enough patience from Reeve. A project should much rather get drafted by Thibault or maybe a hapless team like the Fever.

Although Diamond is a great athlete and can play basketball without question, her shortcomings are being undisciplined and very outspoken. She definitely has a mind of her own. In other words maybe a high maintenance project.

Reeve usually has trouble with these types of players and has shown a tendency to get rid if them without adequate compensation. So I'll be interested in what she does.

In actuality, Diamond needs a disciplinarian coach to become her best and be best for the team. In most eyes, she is the best player in the draft after the Creme Pie.

Reave loves players who will follow her orders, play team ball and stay with the game plan. Someone like a Hailey Jones or several others like her fits Reave better. I am not advocating in any way that Reeve should take Hailey at #2. Lets see how Kitley does against USC, if it comes about.

Diamond's like a stallion that needs broken.

With a more disciplnarian coach like Mulkey, Vandervere, Auriemma, Ivey, etc., etc., I believe Maryland might have upset South Carolina.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/28/23 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the Lynx will draft a Center at #2, Kitley or Soares.

Milks26

PostPosted: 03/28/23 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I believe the Lynx will draft a Center at #2, Kitley or Soares.

They need a center. I like Kitley

PostPosted: 03/28/23 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="RavenDog"]
Shades wrote:

Diamond's like a stallion that needs broken.

With a more disciplnarian coach like Mulkey, Vandervere, Auriemma, Ivey, etc., etc., I believe Maryland might have upset South Carolina.

SC faced all those coaches with the exception of Ivey and beat them.

I wanted to see SC against Norte Dame so bad. But once Miles went down it would've have been a game anymore.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 20 of 26

Jump to: