RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2003 SHOCK Chamionship Recognition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFO

PostPosted: 03/08/23 5:51 pm    ::: 2003 SHOCK Chamionship Recognition Reply Reply with quote

The Pistons will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the 2003 Champion SHOCK tomorrow at the Pistons game.
They flew in everybody (that they could find) for a get together tonight, pregame reception, and on court half-time recognition.
It will be nice to see everyone after so long.
Thanks to Tom Gores.....and....Mark Davis for setting the tone with the Aces Alumni.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/08/23 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is awesome.

Real talk, was it difficult to remember your password for SFO? It's been a minute, right?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/08/23 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The best way to honor them would be to revive the team

PostPosted: 03/09/23 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

This! "We're going to celebrate a franchise that we shipped off to Tulsa despite their three championships!" the fuck is that

PostPosted: 03/10/23 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed! I loved (and loved to hate Laughing) the Shock! Great to see the team honored!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cpl-gYrDvPp/
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CplQ9pPuL5l/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/10/23 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:

This! "We're going to celebrate a franchise that we shipped off to Tulsa despite their three championships!" the fuck is that

It’s not the same owners that sold the Shock in 2009.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/10/23 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:

And that’s not the point. What are the Pistons' current owners doing to bring WNBA basketball back to the state of Michigan?

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/10/23 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:

And that’s not the point. What are the Pistons' current owners doing to bring WNBA basketball back to the state of Michigan?

I don’t know, but do you know for a fact they are not doing anything. The WNBA has apparently been talking to over 100 cities, how do you know they are not one of them.

Also why should a person be blamed for something another person did. How does that make sense to blame/fault/hate on someone for something another person did.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/10/23 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:

I don’t know, but do you know for a fact they are not doing anything. The WNBA has apparently been talking to over 100 cities, how do you know they are not one of them.

Also why should a person be blamed for something another person did. How does that make sense to blame/fault/hate on someone for something another person did.

But why give the current Pistons owners the benefit of the doubt to begin with? That just lowers the standard for them to do anything. And if they were doing things behind the scenes, they or someone else is more than welcome to leak or announce that.

The current Pistons are the ones bringing it all back up by putting on this night of honoring. Perhaps it’s nice for former players to be recognized and for Shock fans to see it, or maybe it’s actually bitter than sweet for all of them. (Certainly the latter applies to some of us on here.)

tfan

PostPosted: 03/10/23 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

They were studying 100 cities as a potential place to have a team. Or did their "due diligence". I assumed that was looking at income and population and available arenas, but I guess that would also include talking to local rich people and the government. But either way, it is now down to about 10 cities.

Quote:
Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said Sunday, before the Las Vegas Aces took a 1-0 series lead in the WNBA Finals, the league has narrowed its focus to “about 10” cities that could host an expansion team. The WNBA had at least 100 cities under consideration where it did its due diligence, Engelbert said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-expansion-plans-narrowed-to-10-cities-with-goal-to-announce-by-end-of-the-year-201815957.html

DTP

PostPosted: 03/10/23 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was great to watch and great to see so many that we haven't seen in years. Tweety has been at a couple of Pistons games over the years and Swin comes to town with the Pelicans but it was great seeing Powell, Ford, Riley, Ferris, etc. Great to see SFO back around the organization as well!

Detroit really supported the Shock, always had pretty decent crowds and that was when the team was playing in the burbs too. I think it would be incredible having a team playing downtown. I never understand why Detroit is never in the conversation when expansion talks come up....I guess neither the Gores (Pistons ownership) or Ilitch (Tigers & Red Wings ownership) are too interested. It would make way too much sense though to bring the Shock back.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/11/23 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
It was great to watch and great to see so many that we haven't seen in years. Tweety has been at a couple of Pistons games over the years and Swin comes to town with the Pelicans but it was great seeing Powell, Ford, Riley, Ferris, etc. Great to see SFO back around the organization as well!

Detroit really supported the Shock, always had pretty decent crowds and that was when the team was playing in the burbs too. I think it would be incredible having a team playing downtown. I never understand why Detroit is never in the conversation when expansion talks come up....I guess neither the Gores (Pistons ownership) or Ilitch (Tigers & Red Wings ownership) are too interested. It would make way too much sense though to bring the Shock back.

Maybe relocate the Wings back to Detroit. Twisted Evil

(Incoming DFW and Wnba09...)

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/13/23 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
DTP wrote:

Maybe relocate the Wings back to Detroit. Twisted Evil

(Incoming DFW and Wnba09...)

Or the struggling franchise of ATL or Minn heck even indiana at this point ...yes i could not resist lol you know how i am in regards to my team Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:

But why give the current Pistons owners the benefit of the doubt to begin with? That just lowers the standard for them to do anything. And if they were doing things behind the scenes, they or someone else is more than welcome to leak or announce that.

The current Pistons are the ones bringing it all back up by putting on this night of honoring. Perhaps it’s nice for former players to be recognized and for Shock fans to see it, or maybe it’s actually bitter than sweet for all of them. (Certainly the latter applies to some of us on here.)

Not sure why giving someone the benefit of the doubt is a bad thing. Especially when they are doing something nice for people. Sure I understand people would rather have a team than a celebration, but being mad at him for something that is partly or entirely out of his control doesn't help the situation. Instead of a moment where the players and other staff members can be celebrated some people are bringing unnecessary negativity to the moment. Also what would be the purpose of leaking we interviewed with the WNBA to bring the Shock back, but they decided these other cities were better fits, it seems more prudent to keep that out of the public eye until there is more actual info with actual hope than just a sit down discussion.

Also from what I gather a majority of team came back and they seemed happy to be there and appreciative of the moment so maybe not more bitter than sweet as people want to make it out to be.

And as an aside don't people talk about how the Rockets don't do anything to honor the Comets, so I guess there really is no win in the situation because either way people are going to talk negatively about the owners.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

They were studying 100 cities as a potential place to have a team. Or did their "due diligence". I assumed that was looking at income and population and available arenas, but I guess that would also include talking to local rich people and the government. But either way, it is now down to about 10 cities.

Quote:
Commissioner Cathy Engelbert said Sunday, before the Las Vegas Aces took a 1-0 series lead in the WNBA Finals, the league has narrowed its focus to “about 10” cities that could host an expansion team. The WNBA had at least 100 cities under consideration where it did its due diligence, Engelbert said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-expansion-plans-narrowed-to-10-cities-with-goal-to-announce-by-end-of-the-year-201815957.html

I can't imagine they just picked random cities and looked into whether a team could work there without talking to people that are interested in owning a team. The WNBA can't just be like we pick City X to have a WNBA team so now someone in that city has to step up and own a team, they have to work with people in cities with mutual interest. So I would guess the start of picking cities to have a team would be talking to people with interest in owning a team and seeing what cities the potential owner would be interested in having their team in. And one owner could bring in multiple cities to look at, for example if a owner was based or interested in having a team in the Bay Area there are 3 core cities and some smaller cities that could be viable options to have a team.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/16/23 5:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i didn't remember ayanna walker on the 03 team... also the white foreign lady - didn't remember her on the 03 team.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/16/23 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
i didn't remember ayanna walker on the 03 team... also the white foreign lady - didn't remember her on the 03 team.

Walker played in every regular season game for the 2003 Shock. I assume the foreign lady is Petra Ujhelyi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: