RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Favorite Freshman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ice

PostPosted: 02/04/23 11:24 am    ::: Favorite Freshman? Reply Reply with quote

Which freshman have you enjoyed watching so far this season?

My list would be:
Flau'jae Johnson LSU
Yarden Garzon Indiana
Hannah Stuelke Iowa
Grace VanSlooten Oregon

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/04/23 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McMahon of OhSU.

PostPosted: 02/04/23 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KK Bransford

Howee

PostPosted: 02/04/23 11:30 pm    ::: Re: Favorite Freshman? Reply Reply with quote

Ice wrote:
Which freshman have you enjoyed watching so far this season?

My list would be:
Flau'jae Johnson LSU
Yarden Garzon Indiana
Hannah Stuelke Iowa
Grace VanSlooten Oregon

Baylor's Darianna Littlepage Bug showed some amazing stuff tonight in Ames, but I haven't seen her all that much. (She DEF wants to get a better handle: DLB, maybe? Razz)

They'd all make my list in a heartbeat, along with u_post's nominee, Cotie McMahon. I'd be quick to say Lauren Betts at Stanford - she HAS been impressive all 17 minutes she's played this season.

PostPosted: 02/05/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

her

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/06/23 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talana Lepolo - her stats are not impressive but the fact that Tara is starting a PG as a Freshman is amazing. Her minutes and production have gone down lately, but I think we're a much better team when she's on the floor.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/06/23 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Talana Lepolo - her stats are not impressive but the fact that Tara is starting a PG as a Freshman is amazing. Her minutes and production have gone down lately, but I think we're a much better team when she's on the floor.

I know Clay was really high on her, as I believe she’s a Bay Area product. Lepolo’s presence definitely makes it easier on Haley Jones so that she doesn’t have to pretend to be a PG all the time. Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/06/23 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I know Clay was really high on her, as I believe she’s a Bay Area product. Lepolo’s presence definitely makes it easier on Haley Jones so that she doesn’t have to pretend to be a PG all the time. Laughing

Clay told me she had everything...except a shot. He said her shot was terrible. I haven't noticed that as much as she seems really reluctant to shoot. Her three shooting hasn't been stellar but it's also not terrible. Hopefully they're working on that. And yes, anything that keeps Haley Jones from thinking she's a PG is good! Jones is a fabulous passer, but her handle is mediocre at best.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/06/23 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
her

Homer! Lol, JK I love her too. Elle Ladine (for people who don't want to click) had a couple passes and drives to the hoop in that first game of the year that had me on immediate notice! You wouldn't know it by looking at her stat-line so far this season, but she definitely has the "It" factor. And then she just shanked Stanford last night; hopefully she has some more games like that this season.

Honestly, I'd put money on her being the Husky's Go-To perimeter scorer next year.

PostPosted: 02/06/23 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Period, Ladine’s gonna be a great pure scorer for us real soon. Hannah Stines has had moments for UW where she has shined as well. I’m so excited about our current freshmen, and maybe even more excited for our freshmen next year. Very Happy

And then there are some coaches who refuse to play freshmen and wonder why they end up transferring after a year. (I was afraid Tina Langley was gonna be like that, but thankfully it’s been different this year.) Some frosh used to have to patiently wait their turn until Year 2 or even Year 3, but there’s enough freedom with the newer [lack of] transfer rules that they don’t have to be patient anymore.

Moral of the story is, give the kids a chance. Especially if you want to increase the chances that they’ll stick around. Or just stop wasting your time recruiting at the high schools and only recruit in the portal.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/06/23 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
there’s enough freedom with the newer [lack of] transfer rules that they don’t have to be patient anymore.

Moral of the story is, give the kids a chance. Especially if you want to increase the chances that they’ll stick around. Or just stop wasting your time recruiting at the high schools and only recruit in the portal.

Well said.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ta'niya Latson, FSU

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/08/23 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really been fun seeing all the Frosh...and Sophs too, making an impact all around the country. I think women's bball is in good hands for some time to come.

And I'm grateful it's not like the men's side where they can go pro after one year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/09/23 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiming in from the mid-majors--Kadidia Touré and Chloe Sterling of JMU.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: