RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cori Close

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitePal

PostPosted: 02/04/23 4:59 pm    ::: Cori Close Reply Reply with quote

Will she last at UCLA? She has the #1 class and she's made them look like a park and recs team. This is her second #1 class and the best she was able to do with the first was an Elite Eight in their senior year.

She has several Sweet 16s and a WNIT but never a conference championship or conference tournament championship. Everyone says she's a nice and honorable lady but last night's OT loss to Arizona seems to have put even previous supporters on notice.

UCLA's moving to B1G might make it easier for them but Close has the bizarre talent of playing down to the talent but never playing up.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/04/23 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never been a big fan of her coaching prowess. She always strikes me as more of a cheer leader. But she's obviously a very nice person and a good recruiter. That counts for quite a bit in the women's bball world...even in LA. We'll see what happens with the current #1 class.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/04/23 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wbk she's not a good coach but is a good recruiter – not that it's exactly a challenge to get kids to come to Westwood, but still

the team plays such an ugly style of play on the court – especially since she can't seem to develop her kids' shooting abilities

case in point: Charisma Osborne, who as a true senior that has frequently been mentioned as a first-rounder [though not by me], is shooting 27% fg from both 2 & 3 in conference play this year

i mean, she's playing off the ball like she wanted but has somehow gotten worse – and she was a career 37% fg shooter to begin with lmao

at some point it falls on the coaching – coach up her shooting mechanics in practice, or coach her to take fewer shots in games, or both!

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 02/05/23 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tend to disagree with y'all. The last three games were all very winnable and UCLA was in all those games until the very end. I think the big difference was all those teams were just more experienced while UCLA relies a lot on freshmen. And Charisma has not been herself since the shoulder injury so I'm wondering if that is still bugging her.

The Pac-12 is rough this year, so I think everything from 2-8 is going to be a toss up.

Should the team have done better? Absolutely. But I was actually at the game and I attend them regularly. Arizona got away with a lot of walks that were not called. It is concerning that UCLA tends to freeze up at the end of the game but I attribute that to freshmen inexperience.

Who knows what will happen, but I'm hoping for them to continue to grow as a team.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/05/23 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I used Osborne’s play as a recent example of an overarching theme – i’ve certainly criticized UCLA on here in the same way in the past

but if Osborne’s playing hurt, that’s even more reason for Close not to put as much of the offensive load on her

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: