Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/02/23 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Just tossing this out there. Natasha Cloud is a free agent after the 2023 WNBA season, could it be possible Mike T trade her before the 2023 WNBA since the Mystics now have Brittney Sykes? Spotrac has Sykes' salary (3yrs. $575K) as the 2nd highest on the Mystics salary cap after EDD. What's could Mike T get for Cloud in value before the draft?

Wait, the Mystics are your team and you don’t even recognize the value of Cloud? Shocked

2 Mystics Season Tickets from the beginning.

A few things that come to mind concerning Natasha Cloud. Yeah, I like Tasha but she will become a free agent after the 2023 season along with EDD and Atkins. Plus, it's likely there will be an expansion draft, I don't think the Mystics can sign EDD, Tasha and Atkins to 200K+ contracts, it probably will come down to paying Tasha or Atkins unless EDD retires after this upcoming season. Also, Brittney Sykes is being paid starter's money (3yrs 575K) I see her playing better in the backcourt than as a small forward.

It looks like the Mystics will once again be up against the Salary Cap this upcoimg season. The Mystics right now have 6 protected contracts (EDD, Sykes, Cloud, Atkins, Hines-Allen Walker-Kimbrough) and Austin's entry level contract leaving 287K to spend on their 1st round pick (74K) and 3 other players (213K). The Mystics still have to sign a decent backup Center hopefully someone like Theresa Plaisance or Elizabeth Williams or get lucky with a 2nd round pick that won't cut heavy in the remaining salary cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/wnba/washington-mystics/cap/

Oh, Kristi Toliver likely won't sign a contract with the Mystics until sometime in July, after the Dallas Mavericks season is over for the Mystics playoff run.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/02/23 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know I'm biased, but for fuck's sake don't use Spotrac for WNBA numbers.

PostPosted: 02/02/23 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Mike T likes chemistry on the Mystics team. Plus, Kristi is sort of like a player/coach, she knows the Mystics system.

SportsGuru wrote:
Did you read the part about a trade down sorta like what Mike T did for the 2022 Draft. Smart move by Mike T he picked up Austin and gain a lottery pick for the 2023 Draft.

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a roster move that you haven’t either initially liked or grown to like from Thibault? Razz

Funny you ask that. Yes, Stefanie Dolson, Kahleah Copper and the second overall pick in the 2017 WNBA Draft for Elena Delle Donne. I didn't like giving up Three 1st round draft picks for 1 player but once Elena put on a Mystics uniform and played on the court how could one not love the trade by Mike T. Heck, I didn't like trading the 1st pick in the 2022 Draft but Austin won me over and the Mystics got a lottery pick in the 2023 Draft.

…so you did grow to like both of those moves, ok. Is this a Thibault burner account? Laughing

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/02/23 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/team/2023/washington-mystics-11eaecc7-3568-d154-b611-2362f5011b0b/

Don't mean to upset you. I just checked HerHoopstats, the numbers practically matches Spotrac for the Mystics Salary Cap. HerHoopstats right now doesn't have the cap number for Shatori Walker-Kimbrough ($95K for 2023) that was confirmed by The Next Hoops.

Both sites Spotrac and HerHoopstats give me a working estimate that the Mystics will have 213K left for 3 Free Agents

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/02/23 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not upset, more just that Spotrac gets stuff wrong even though they're largely copying what I tweet and we put on our sheets. They're not set up to do the WNBA properly.

Walker-Kimbrough was confirmed late last night after our update was done, so yeah, isn't on there yet. Will be added today.

PostPosted: 02/02/23 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

The Washington Mystics have announced training camp contracts for Alisia Jenkins and Tianna Hawkins

wnbafan

PostPosted: 02/02/23 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Just tossing this out there. Natasha Cloud is a free agent after the 2023 WNBA season, could it be possible Mike T trade her before the 2023 WNBA since the Mystics now have Brittney Sykes? Spotrac has Sykes' salary (3yrs. $575K) as the 2nd highest on the Mystics salary cap after EDD. What's could Mike T get for Cloud in value before the draft?

Wait, the Mystics are your team and you don’t even recognize the value of Cloud? Shocked

A few things that come to mind concerning Natasha Cloud. Yeah, I like Tasha but she will become a free agent after the 2023 season along with EDD and Atkins. Plus, it's likely there will be an expansion draft, I don't think the Mystics can sign EDD, Tasha and Atkins to 200K+ contracts, it probably will come down to paying Tasha or Atkins unless EDD retires after this upcoming season. Also, Brittney Sykes is being paid starter's money (3yrs 575K) I see her playing better in the backcourt than as a small forward.

It looks like the Mystics will once again be up against the Salary Cap this upcoimg season. The Mystics right now have 6 protected contracts (EDD, Sykes, Cloud, Atkins, Hines-Allen Walker-Kimbrough) and Austin's entry level contract leaving 287K to spend on their 1st round pick (74K) and 3 other players (213K). The Mystics still have to sign a decent backup Center hopefully someone like Theresa Plaisance or Elizabeth Williams or get lucky with a 2nd round pick that won't cut heavy in the remaining salary cap.

Oh, Kristi Toliver likely won't sign a contract with the Mystics until sometime in July, after the Dallas Mavericks season is over for the Mystics playoff run.

Tasha has expressed her lifelong devotion to the Mystics and she is an excellent player. I think it would take a lot to trade her. I'd rather see Atkins or MHA be traded.

PostPosted: 02/02/23 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Tasha has expressed her lifelong devotion to the Mystics and she is an excellent player. I think it would take a lot to trade her. I'd rather see Atkins or MHA be traded.

I can remember in 2019 Tasha not being devoted to the Mystics when she signed a restricted free agent offer sheet with the NY Liberty and the Mystics had to match the 2 year offer. Look, I don't want to lose Tasha but something will have to give sooner or later unless the Mystics draft well and get talent on entry level salaries.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 02/03/23 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Updated Depth Chart:

1: Natasha Cloud/Kristi Toliver
2: Ariel Atkins/Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
3: Brittney Sykes/Evina Westbrook/Jasmine Jones
4: Elena Delle Donne/Alisia Jenkins
5: Shakira Austin/Myisha Hines-Allen

Additions:
- Alisia Jenkins: via training camp contract UPDATE
- Brittney Sykes: via free agency
- Kristi Toliver : via free agency
- Shatori Walker-Kimbrough: via free agency

Subtractions:
- Alysha Clark : via free agency
- Rui Machida: rights relinquished

Shades

PostPosted: 02/03/23 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics also have an apparently little known deferred rookie named Christyn Williams.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/03/23 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams is not yet back under contract. No counting chickens before they hatch. While they’ll likely re-sign her, that knee of hers will have to be healed enough. By April it should be – though not everyone’s knee injury rehab goes according to plan.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/03/23 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Thanks. I made that mistake years ago until I found the truth. You!😁

PostPosted: 02/03/23 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, that’s right. The Mystics did end up cutting Williams after her injury. So she should have no obligation to sign back with the Mystics, who were likely legally obligated to rehab her injury that occurred during practice with the Mystics. But I suppose she still feels loyalty to the Mystics even after being cut by them. They drafted her. Thibault said nice things about her. They rehabbed her.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Lynx drafted Rennia Davis, who came into camp injured from college. I guess they held out hope that she would be ready to play later in the season and they carried her the whole season. She ended up getting cut prior to the next season.

Anyway, last season it didn’t sound like Thibault was on the fence about Williams. If she’s ready to go, she should end up in somebody’s camp. She has no obligation to sit out another season for the Mystics, unless maybe they’re paying her under the table.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/05/23 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

watch SportsGuru immediately post this exact tweet on here when they see it, but in bolded lettering lol

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1622353994612891648

Quote:
Trade: The Mystics are moving second round picks in 2024 and 2025 to the Aces for Amanda Zahui B, according to source.

the Mystics already have six protected contracts, and it doesn't sound like Zahui B. has actually signed anything – her previous contract was protected for $135k

so unless Zahui B. signs a training camp contract – idk why she would – it seems like someone with a guaranteed contract needs to be on their way out to make the numbers work – Hines-Allen maybe?

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/05/23 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
watch SportsGuru immediately post this exact tweet on here when they see it, but in bolded lettering lol

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1622353994612891648

Quote:
Trade: The Mystics are moving second round picks in 2024 and 2025 to the Aces for Amanda Zahui B, according to source.

the Mystics already have six protected contracts, and it doesn't sound like Zahui B. has actually signed anything – her previous contract was protected for $135k

so unless Zahui B. signs a training camp contract – idk why she would – it seems like someone with a guaranteed contract needs to be on their way out to make the numbers work – Hines-Allen maybe?

I was eating dinner and didn't want to put the fork down to post the trade Laughing

The Mystics will have negotiating rights and are expected to sign her to a one-year deal.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1622355000788656132

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/05/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
so unless Zahui B. signs a training camp contract – idk why she would...

Because otherwise she's out of the league entirely? Maybe she's happy getting paid to be incredibly mediocre at Schio but that's basically all she's doing at the moment. I don't understand why people think she's worth guaranteed or big money. Did being out of the league for a year make people forget how... forgettable she is? I'd offer her the vet minimum and be done with it, personally. I certainly wouldn't be making moves to open up protected slots to make room to give her guaranteed money.

PostPosted: 02/05/23 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Because otherwise she's out of the league entirely? Maybe she's happy getting paid to be incredibly mediocre at Schio but that's basically all she's doing at the moment. I don't understand why people think she's worth guaranteed or big money. Did being out of the league for a year make people forget how... forgettable she is? I'd offer her the vet minimum and be done with it, personally. I certainly wouldn't be making moves to open up protected slots to make room to give her guaranteed money.

—A team has always held her rights since she first signed with LA, so since then she was never out of the league entirely – and did she voluntarily take 2022 off anyway?
—She has a record of being a proven contributor in this league at a premium position (who can hit 3s).
—She’s still on the right side of 30.
—Looking at her Schio team, she doesn’t have to do much. They’re in 1st place in the league. Her teammates include Mabrey, Ndour, and RHoward. She still averages 6 ppg on 50% from 2 and 36% from 3 in 17 mpg. Could be worse; that’s not evidence enough for me that her play has fallen off a cliff.
—As for her lack of money, maybe she took less in order to go somewhere she could win? Sounds familiar. Does that mean she’d take less in the W? Maybe. Though she made $135k in 2021, and because she took a paycut this winter in Italy, maybe she’d want a little more cash in the summer.

We’ll see what really happens, and I haven’t followed her overseas career much the past few years which you can surely speak more to, but I’m skeptical that she’d have fallen totally out of favor with the league since 2021, the year she averaged a career-high 9.2 ppg, to where the only deal she could get is a training camp contract. Being a proven contributor who can stay healthy and hasn’t shown signs of drop-off within the actual league means something and carries value with it imo.

Also, if she had no value, the Mystics wouldn’t have just traded two 2RPs to get her, I feel like. That’s when a single 3RP would do the trick, I feel like. Not that 2RPs have much value, but still more so than however many 3RPs.

GEF34

PostPosted: 02/06/23 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

—A team has always held her rights since she first signed with LA, so since then she was never out of the league entirely – and did she voluntarily take 2022 off anyway?
—She has a record of being a proven contributor in this league at a premium position (who can hit 3s).
—She’s still on the right side of 30.
—Looking at her Schio team, she doesn’t have to do much. They’re in 1st place in the league. Her teammates include Mabrey, Ndour, and RHoward. She still averages 6 ppg on 50% from 2 and 36% from 3 in 17 mpg. Could be worse; that’s not evidence enough for me that her play has fallen off a cliff.
—As for her lack of money, maybe she took less in order to go somewhere she could win? Sounds familiar. Does that mean she’d take less in the W? Maybe. Though she made $135k in 2021, and because she took a paycut this winter in Italy, maybe she’d want a little more cash in the summer.

We’ll see what really happens, and I haven’t followed her overseas career much the past few years which you can surely speak more to, but I’m skeptical that she’d have fallen totally out of favor with the league since 2021, the year she averaged a career-high 9.2 ppg, to where the only deal she could get is a training camp contract. Being a proven contributor who can stay healthy and hasn’t shown signs of drop-off within the actual league means something and carries value with it imo.

Also, if she had no value, the Mystics wouldn’t have just traded two 2RPs to get her, I feel like. That’s when a single 3RP would do the trick, I feel like. Not that 2RPs have much value, but still more so than however many 3RPs.

Unless I’m misunderstanding the rules, can’t the Mystics offer her more money than the minimum if they want to. Other than being non-guaranteed money. Also if Candace Parker can play on a non-guaranteed contract (according to the link you posted she signed an unprotected contract) I see no reason anyone else should be offended to play on a non-guaranteed contact.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/06/23 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can offer her as much as they like, guaranteed or non-guaranteed. I imagine they're probably planning to (it's likely already been discussed), or they wouldn't have made the trade. Either that or she's willing to take the vet minimum. Washington can give her about $100,000 if they want to and stay legal.

PostPosted: 02/06/23 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think because the Mystics will just have $213,161 to spend on unprotective veteran players, Amanda Zahui B will likely be offer the veteran minimum of $74,305. It's likely if Tianna Hawkins make the Mystics team, she'll get the veteran minimum of $74,305 and 1 two year or less veteran minimum salary contract ($62,285) will be given to a training camp invitee (Jenkins, Jones or Westbrook). The training camp invitee who makes the Mystics team will likely be release at mid-season when Kristi Toliver signs with the Mystics and she'll receive the prorated amount of the $31,142 plus what's left remaining on the Mystics salary cap for 2023 ($2,267).

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/06/23 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Washington Mystics have officially signed Stephanie Jones to a training camp contract.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/07/23 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's something for the EDD doubters.

Good stuff from Elena Delle Donne during her session at Team USA minicamp. Clearly happy to be there and full go without any physical limitations. Called this the greatest offseason of her career - being able to train instead of rehab. Said she's lifting more than ever.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1623058952790351881

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/08/23 4:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welp, Richyyy & others were right! Zahui B. signed merely a training camp contract. Apparently enough eyes have been watching her the past couple winters to know that she sucks now. 😓 I know 2RPs tend to have little value (#AbolishThe3rdRoundNowAnd4Ever) but it does strike me as weird that Thibault gave up two of them just to get a vet on vet min.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/08/23 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Welp, Richyyy & others were right! Zahui B. signed merely a training camp contract. Apparently enough eyes have been watching her the past couple winters to know that she sucks now. 😓 I know 2RPs tend to have little value (#AbolishThe3rdRoundNowAnd4Ever) but it does strike me as weird that Thibault gave up two of them just to get a vet on vet min.

The Mystics are up against the salary cap for a 11 player roster. I believe Mike T did his best to get a big body veteran at minimum salary to be a backup for Shakira Austin. Remember, the Mystics aren't asking Amanda Zahui B to be a starter, Mike T just want her to be a back-up to give Sharika Austin 10 to 16 minutes rest a game. Also, the Mystics 2nd round picks that were traded to the Aces in 2024 and 2025 likely weren't going to make the Mystics team.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/09/23 3:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
The Mystics are up against the salary cap for a[n] 11 player roster. I believe Mike T did his best to get a big body veteran at minimum salary to be a backup for Shakira Austin. Remember, the Mystics aren't asking Amanda Zahui B to be a starter, Mike T just want[s] her to be a back-up to give [Shakira] Austin 10 to 16 minutes rest a game.

So then is he gonna ask Hines-Allen, who's scheduled to make $175k this year, to be a starter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: