RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

BG and Charter/Private Flights
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/28/23 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Hey WNBPA, time to negotiate the next deal. Good news - we've got an extra $20 million in the budget for you.
Twenty. Million.
That more than doubles the total league salary payments. A pay rise of 120% sounds nice right? About time, right?

Ms. Stewart, you'll be getting half a mil now.
Ms. Burton, I don't really know who you are, but you'll be getting $150k

... or, you can opt to keep your current salaries and fly charter.

What would you like?

"We want both."

At least, that seems to be what they responded after the last CBA negotiation.

(now with spelling variations)
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/28/23 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about making an agreement with the Betting Industry to foot the bill for WNBA Charter Flights? A athlete who doesn't have to spend most of their day travelling will likely give a better performance on the basketball court.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/28/23 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
A athlete who doesn't have to spend most of their day travelling will likely give a better performance on the basketball court.

I doubt anyone here disputes that charter flights would be better for players both physically and mentally, and therefore would also be better for the on-court product of WNBA basketball.

PostPosted: 01/28/23 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the hate towards Brittney Griner I read in comments on just about any newspaper article about her, not just twitter but any newspaper article, people hoping she stays there, and then especially after the trade for Bout, unfortunately I can see someone (or someones) attacking her on planes Sad .

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/23 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA ups charter flights for all playoffs, back-to-back games

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/36146983/wnba-ups-charter-flights-all-playoffs-back-back-games

Quote:
"One of my main goals has been to enhance the player-first experience," WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert told ESPN. "While recognizing in a growing league our size and scale, doing thing incrementally and chipping away at it is the best practice."

PostPosted: 05/18/23 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

The WNBPA announced this morning a partnership w Priority Pass to give players use of their airport lounges. Another significant move in terms of travel. Can't tell you how many times I've seen players just wandering around the airport killing time waiting for flights

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1659236139633393665

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/18/23 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

The WNBPA announced this morning a partnership w Priority Pass to give players use of their airport lounges. Another significant move in terms of travel. Can't tell you how many times I've seen players just wandering around the airport killing time waiting for flights

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1659236139633393665

As a Priority Pass member, this is nice. There are a lot of airports without a good Priority Pass lounge though. Here in Chicago, it is only in the international terminal.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/26/23 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG calls out the league.

Quote:
"So I'm glad that they finally got it together. And, you know, are gonna allow us to do this. It's just a shame that it took so damn long, honestly."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2023/06/26/brittney-griner-calls-out-wnba-charter-flights/70359229007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 06/28/23 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
BG calls out the league.

Quote:
"So I'm glad that they finally got it together. And, you know, are gonna allow us to do this. It's just a shame that it took so damn long, honestly."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2023/06/26/brittney-griner-calls-out-wnba-charter-flights/70359229007/

I read the article, but I hope this quote was pulled out of context by USA Today. Confused

Graciously, I would have said, "I'm glad it finally came together. It took a bit longer than we anticipated. But, I'm glad the league is allowing this exception for me..."

Lastly, if Phx gets to fly semi-private way this season, the restriction should be lifted for all teams in the league. If owners want to fly their teams semi-private on a couple of their long road trips this season, they should be allowed to without penalty.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: