Board Junkies Forums

WNBA expansion could add 2 teams before 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/30/22 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:
Former Southwest locations: 3 (Houston, San Antonio, Tulsa)
—Currently there are 2 (Dallas, Phoenix)
—60% success rate for the region (3/5)

40% success rate. (2/5)

changed, thanks for catching that gaffe

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/01/22 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
I think the WNBA wants to dance with Oakland and/or Toronto

Not sure about Toronto but there is no excuse for Oakland to not be the first one awarded a team once the announcement is made!

Oakland makes the most sense. I just hope the ownership group is up to the task.

Stormeo wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:
Former Southwest locations: 3 (Houston, San Antonio, Tulsa)
—Currently there are 2 (Dallas, Phoenix)
—60% success rate for the region (3/5)

40% success rate. (2/5)

changed, thanks for catching that gaffe

So basically, my trash talk assumption was correct in that the southeast and southwest have the worst success rates. Obviously, no team in this league is ever 100% secure but it doesn't make sense to me to expand in those territories right now.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/12/22 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/10/11/womens-basketball-wnba-expansion-portland-oregon/

WNBA looks to expand with Portland in the mix

Quote:
Marshall: There is an effort to bring a team to Portland and there’s a Northwest entrepreneur who’s been active on this front, Kirk Brown. What do we know about Kirk?

Bachman: We know he most likely has enough money to buy and support a WNBA team. Kirk made his money reportedly more than a billion dollars co-founding the company that’s now called Zoom Info.

A representative for Brown has confirmed that Brown is interested in buying a WNBA Franchise.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/12/22 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.opb.org/article/2022/10/11/womens-basketball-wnba-expansion-portland-oregon/

WNBA looks to expand with Portland in the mix

Quote:
Marshall: There is an effort to bring a team to Portland and there’s a Northwest entrepreneur who’s been active on this front, Kirk Brown. What do we know about Kirk?

Bachman: We know he most likely has enough money to buy and support a WNBA team. Kirk made his money reportedly more than a billion dollars co-founding the company that’s now called Zoom Info.

A representative for Brown has confirmed that Brown is interested in buying a WNBA Franchise.

This is interesting. I hadn't heard this guy's name thrown around yet but if there is a billionaire stating he wants to buy a team, I'd be hard pressed to think the league wouldn't award him an expansion. My question would be if his bid is better than the Oakland bid and if he has an arena locked in. Also have to wonder how interested Lacob really is (I'm gonna assume not very as he's had ample opportunity to buy an existing team) Could we have a bidding war on our hands? Shocked

pilight

PostPosted: 12/01/22 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

20 years after the Sol, how could Miami fit in the WNBA’s next wave of expansion?

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/article268296212.html

Quote:
In one of the latest steps to grow the game, WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert announced plans in May to expand the WNBA by “a couple teams.” She listed several cities interested in procuring a franchise in an interview with Boardroom in July, which also included the state of Florida.

PostPosted: 12/01/22 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
20 years after the Sol, how could Miami fit in the WNBA’s next wave of expansion?

Quote:
In one of the latest steps to grow the game, WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert announced plans in May to expand the WNBA by “a couple teams.” She listed several cities interested in procuring a franchise in an interview with Boardroom in July, which also included the state of Florida.

Florida is the great white whale of sports. All Florida teams lack enthusiastic fanbases. Miami Sol.would be a failure. Please don't.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/01/22 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Florida is the great white whale of sports. All Florida teams lack enthusiastic fanbases. Miami Sol.would be a failure. Please don't.

The Miami Sol ranked in the middle of the pack in terms of attendance each of their seasons and the attendance numbers they had in 2002 if they had that this season they would have ranked second in the league behind Seattle. Of course 2002 and 2022 are completely different years, but I see no reason to believe a team in Miami would be a complete failure and wouldn't draw interest based off history.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/01/22 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beggars like me can’t be choosers

i’d take an expansion team in fucking Albuquerque at this point if it had good owners

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/01/22 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

The Miami Sol ranked in the middle of the pack in terms of attendance each of their seasons and the attendance numbers they had in 2002 if they had that this season they would have ranked second in the league behind Seattle. Of course 2002 and 2022 are completely different years, but I see no reason to believe a team in Miami would be a complete failure and wouldn't draw interest based off history.

You mean the history of the inflated ticket sales reported by pretty much every team back then not named Seattle or NY ? Laughing

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 12/01/22 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/01/22 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

i’d take an expansion team in fucking Albuquerque at this point if it had good owners

____X Give us a Guam expansion team idc where EXPANDDDDDD Baby !

PostPosted: 12/01/22 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever happened to that Arkansas expansion group?

PostPosted: 12/01/22 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without ClayK to kick it off it seems like the anti expansion folks are silent. Was expecting to see some of "if I have to watch Natalie Novosel in the rotation I will just watch college women's basketball" (where Natalie Novosel was a star).

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/01/22 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

because god forbid good college players like Natalie Novosel turn pro and actually get better upon doing so

(on another note, Novosel could’ve been something had she A) not gotten drafted by the pre-Thibault Mystics and B) not had so many knee injuries playing overseas Sad )

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/01/22 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Las Pollos Hermanas!

PostPosted: 12/01/22 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Homecourt advantage at the Pit is no joke.

But yes, instead of flirting with cities and expecting owners to come running, let’s get solid ownership groups and worry about where they want to play second.

(now with spelling variations)
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/02/22 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Homecourt advantage at the Pit is no joke.

But yes, instead of flirting with cities and expecting owners to come running, let’s get solid ownership groups and worry about where they want to play second.

I think the the league wants to do everything they can to ensure expansion teams are a success. Englebert has to stick this landing. I think the market driven search may end up being good for THIS expansion because of the stakes but likely would become secondary in any further expansions as long as this one is successful. We all want expansion but the league can't risk a failed Arkansas or Guam team. They have to have 2 locks or else we may not get any legit expansion for another 15 years.

The league has done a great job of securing strong ownership groups for Vegas, NYL and even Atlanta. I have faith Englebert can pull this off.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/02/22 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

would Engelbert even be doing this if this wasn’t such a hot-button issue amongst everyone else though?

still wondering how high this really is on her list of priorities for the league

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/02/22 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
would Engelbert even be doing this if this wasn’t such a hot-button issue amongst everyone else though?

still wondering how high this really is on her list of priorities for the league

Oh, Engelbart knows that widening the base is essential to longterm survival, just as much as strengthening the current small base is (which she's been very busy doing). You simply have to have more population groups invested in order to succeed economically.

~rAf
GEF34

PostPosted: 12/03/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

You mean the history of the inflated ticket sales reported by pretty much every team back then not named Seattle or NY ? Laughing

Specific numbers aside, is there a reason to believe a team in Miami wouldn't draw interest and they wouldn't have an attendance that would rank in at least the middle of the league. It has been a few years, but if I recall correctly Miami always had a lot of people at games, with fewer glaringly empty sections that other teams.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/03/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Specific numbers aside, is there a reason to believe a team in Miami wouldn't draw interest and they wouldn't have an attendance that would rank in at least the middle of the league. It has been a few years, but if I recall correctly Miami always had a lot of people at games, with fewer glaringly empty sections that other teams.

I guess we don't know if it would garner support but rehashing Miami feels like a high risk/low reward location. Of course there is a version of it that could work but there are just far more logical and high reward locations out there. It seems like we're going to get a lot of local paper articles about "How X City could get a WNBA team" regardless.

I welcome expansion anywhere it would be successful but, as I've said, the W needs to absolutely stick the landing on this expansion. It's pivotal and high stakes. The W can't afford failed expansion.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/03/22 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I guess we don't know if it would garner support but rehashing Miami feels like a high risk/low reward location. Of course there is a version of it that could work but there are just far more logical and high reward locations out there. It seems like we're going to get a lot of local paper articles about "How X City could get a WNBA team" regardless.

I welcome expansion anywhere it would be successful but, as I've said, the W needs to absolutely stick the landing on this expansion. It's pivotal and high stakes. The W can't afford failed expansion.

It does seem like a lot of people are naming cities without actual ownership groups or people interested in wanting a team, if Miami is a city that has actually interest whether its from the heat or another group I think that does need to be looked at seriously. Now whether the league actually expands there that's a different issue, but I don't think it should be over looked if there is a someone that wants a team there and willing to put up the money to get a team there.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/03/22 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This would’ve been a great year to add even just one more team. Biggest-ever schedule, no international going-ons to have to contend with. I can’t imagine adding a team in an Olympic year like 2024 with that big-ass Olympic break the league chooses to implement (can they cut it in half at least Sad ). Bless Engelbert’s heart for hinting at 2024 being possible, but I’m not even holding my breath for 2025 at this point. More of a “believe it when I see it” type of thing.

All starts with finding the best – and maybe richest – owners, and letting the rest of the chips fall where they may imo.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/07/22 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
This would’ve been a great year to add even just one more team. Biggest-ever schedule, no international going-ons to have to contend with. I can’t imagine adding a team in an Olympic year like 2024 with that big-ass Olympic break the league chooses to implement (can they cut it in half at least Sad ). Bless Engelbert’s heart for hinting at 2024 being possible, but I’m not even holding my breath for 2025 at this point. More of a “believe it when I see it” type of thing.

All starts with finding the best – and maybe richest – owners, and letting the rest of the chips fall where they may imo.

Something tells me the olympic break will get shortened with expansion . Overall with everyone being on Cathy's case about expanding i have a feeling the olympics wont stop anything. Makes it harder for those expansion teams inaugural season with a huge break of momentum due to the olympics but the analytics in place being used to select the expansion cities must factor this in as well. A team in oakland or Toronto i think could withstand such a huge break in the season and still have fans stay on board post olympics.

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 12/08/22 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 12/08/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought that the WNBA has to expand to justify the $75 million that people and companies gave it this year. But in re-reading this article, I don't see expansion mentioned. They do say "growth".

Quote:
"Our strategy is to deploy this capital to continue to drive the league's brand as a bold, progressive entertainment and media property that embodies diversity, promotes equity, advocates for social justice, and stands for the power of women," she explained.

https://people.com/sports/wnba-investors-nike-condoleezza-rice-raise-75m-first-investment-round/

chadb

PostPosted: 12/14/22 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Some" discussion on Phillys desire for a team and where they might play

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/wnba-expansion-philadelphia-arena-attendance-20221214.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: