RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lobo Signs Extension with ESPN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/21/22 3:17 pm    ::: Lobo Signs Extension with ESPN Reply Reply with quote

Rebecca Lobo signs multi-year extension with ESPN as lead women’s basketball analyst

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/rebecca-lobo-womens-basketball-contract-extension.html

Quote:
“Rebecca has played a significant role in the growth of women’s basketball throughout both her playing and broadcasting careers, and we’re thrilled she will continue to elevate ESPN’s coverage of both the WNBA and the college game,” said coordinating producer Sara Gaiero. “Rebecca is one of the sport’s most credible voices, consistently educating our fans with sharp, insightful analysis while entertaining with her humor and wit.”

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 11/26/22 12:11 am    ::: Re: Lobo Signs Extension with ESPN Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Rebecca Lobo signs multi-year extension with ESPN as lead women’s basketball analyst

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/rebecca-lobo-womens-basketball-contract-extension.html

Quote:
“Rebecca has played a significant role in the growth of women’s basketball throughout both her playing and broadcasting careers, and we’re thrilled she will continue to elevate ESPN’s coverage of both the WNBA and the college game,” said coordinating producer Sara Gaiero. “Rebecca is one of the sport’s most credible voices, consistently educating our fans with sharp, insightful analysis while entertaining with her humor and wit.”

🙄

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 11/26/22 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem I have not only with Lobo but also other "analysts" and "color commentators" is that they spend less and less time actually calling the games! Add to that the in-game insertion of interviews and player features, after which live action is seldom recapped. They miss stuff that even I see, and I am not basketball-astute. Ah, for the days where play-by-play calling was considered to be important! It's nice to see that camaraderie exists within each duo, but it goes overboard more often than not.

Then some of the things that get said are clearly wacky, full of homerism, irrelevant or just outright wrong!

At least most seem to pronounce names correctly. Some years back, there was a male commentator who actually called a game, but throughout - with no correction by his female partner - kept referencing Ogg-woo-MIKE-eee. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 11/28/22 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like some people take sports entirely too seriously. Rebecca Lobo isn't to my personal tastes**, but I'm not here for a world where there's no room in the sport for broadcasters like Rebecca Lobo. To me, a better compromise would be making alternative commentary tracks available, so people who, like me, want more casual/conversational commentary can get that, people who prefer more hardcore analytical commentary can get that, and people who'd rather there be no talking at all can get that, too. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd pay an extra ten bucks a season for League Pass, if they made that option available; hell, I'd pay an extra three bucks just to never have to listen to Dick Fain again.

**Owing largely to her UConn-specific homerism; I don't have any philosophical objections to homerism as a practice.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 11/28/22 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually get a kick out of

DICK FAIN!!!!! Laughing But yeah, he can wear you out quickly!

That's a great idea to offer listening choices! Would they even consider doing such a thing? Fortunately, I got LP free this year - the Sky sprang for it for the first time.

I don't mind Lobo and most others (AMD is probably my least favorite) - I just want folks to actually call the games. And if they go long on player stories and other features that they often overdo IMO, please just recap the action.

Homerism has its place - some folks' bias is too obvious, while others provide more balanced commentary.

To each one's own! Smile

PostPosted: 11/29/22 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I actually get a kick out of

DICK FAIN!!!!! Laughing But yeah, he can wear you out quickly!

That's a great idea to offer listening choices! Would they even consider doing such a thing? Fortunately, I got LP free this year - the Sky sprang for it for the first time.

I don't mind Lobo and most others (AMD is probably my least favorite) - I just want folks to actually call the games. And if they go long on player stories and other features that they often overdo IMO, please just recap the action.

Homerism has its place - some folks' bias is too obvious, while others provide more balanced commentary.

To each one's own! Smile

I appreciate lobo's contribution but this portion here makes me wish she would just retire or pick 1 or the other with WCBB vs WNBA . Her overhyping of her favorites and literature lessons with the word of the day every game has become nauseating . Rucco can go too .

PostPosted: 12/01/22 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems like TV announcers of all varieties will lower their voices or have lower pitch voices. That must be more pleasing to listeners or gives more gravitas. I think that is why Lobo is criticized so much less than the other color commentators.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 12/07/22 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did her deal include a UCONN cheerleader uniform and pom poms? Seriously, she's the worst.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/07/22 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Did her deal include a UCONN cheerleader uniform and pom poms? Seriously, she's the worst.

It's really a tie for the worst between Dick Fain and Ann Meyers-Drysdale. I know some a y'all are too young for this, but "that sound chalk makes on a chalkboard that makes you cover your ears and go EWWWW."

~rAf
scullyfu

PostPosted: 12/08/22 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Save your $3 a game for a Fain-less feed & just use the mute button. Problem solved.

PostPosted: 12/08/22 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Save your $3 a game for a Fain-less feed & just use the mute button. Problem solved.

No, problem not solved. I don't want a commentary-free broadcast, I want a Dick Fain-free broadcast. Not being able to listen to anybody is not a solution when the problem is, I want to be able to listen to somebody, just not him. Which is why I said my preference would be for alternative commentary tracks, in the first place.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Milks26

PostPosted: 12/09/22 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:

All 3 of them can go.

Simply terrible. Will just be using mute more....is all

PostPosted: 12/09/22 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is wild to me how passionate this board is about announcers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: