RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Gonzaga vs Tennessee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/21/22 3:02 pm    ::: Gonzaga vs Tennessee Reply Reply with quote

Atlantis 3rd place game on ESPNU

If you like points this your game.

Gonzaga 15-14 midway through the 1st quarter.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/21/22 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Finally a team that practices free throws. Gonzaga is 15-17 and it's keeping them in the game. And actually Tenn is a very respectable 19-23.

This has been a VERY tight game. With three minutes to go, it's tied again.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/21/22 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga needs to stay calm. They've forced or rushed a few shots.

Now a 4 pt Tenn lead with about 2 minutes to go, and the Zags have the ball after the time out.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/21/22 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great play, Gonzago works it inside. Misses the first bunny but gets the OR and puts it back in to take a 1 pt lead. Much better than rushing jumpshots.

Tenn comes down and scores, and now leads by 1 with 36 seconds to go.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/21/22 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga works it inside and Zags player gets absolutely hammered by Jackson with no call, and Tenn ends up with the ball. Zags had to foul.

Horston travels on the inbound play. 14.5 seconds, Zags ball, down 1.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/21/22 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zags score right at the rim on the inbound pass, 1 pt lead, 12.4 seconds, Tenn timeout.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/21/22 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn gets three shots off, but all of them miss and THE ZAGS WIN 73-72.

Heck Tenn lost again, Ohio St and Indiana will probably be ranked 2 and 3 next week.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/21/22 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Harper's seat getting warm?

PostPosted: 11/21/22 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Nahh. Yeah, it's a crappy start for any team, no less one with TN's rep (and faux hype in the polls) BUTTTT.....they're not losing to cupcakes, either. I hope they can turn it around. If they end up riding bubbles in March, this will definitely NOT help.

ETA: I just saw that TN is all alone in the SEC standings basement.... Shocked ....now, when's the last time THAT ever happened?

Last edited by Howee on 11/21/22 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 11/21/22 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Tenn has the G Steinbrenner syndrome, believing that team chemistry and a balance of talents are minor parts of a winning team.
I heard a coach say that there's a tradeoff when you stock your team with transfers in that you get talent but lose the cohesion that happens when players play together for several years. They said that it could level the playing field for mid-major teams where they stay for 4 years. Hopefully we see more Gonzaga's in the future.

The downside for mid-majors is that there will be poaching and NIL promises to deal with. But teams are going to look at players like Lopez-Senechal of UConn who came to UConn through word-of-mouth and was generally dismissed as unlikely to survive the jump from Fairfield to UConn. She had all 20 of her starter's points against NCSt in the 2nd half and is a fixture in the rotation.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/21/22 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Nah. She's one of Pat's girls. Pick the point where you figure a smart AD would fire her, and then add about 10 years of mediocrity past that point, and you'll be close to the right time.

Frankly, other than having orange blood in her veins, I never figured out what the attraction was.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/21/22 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the Atlantis tournament invites 3 preseason top 10 teams and they all go 1-2 (assuming Texas holds on against Rutgers.) Preseason unranked UCLA beats Marquette in OT in the finals. Let's see how they are ranked tomorrow in the coaches poll.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/22/22 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
So the Atlantis tournament invites 3 preseason top 10 teams and they all go 1-2 (assuming Texas holds on against Rutgers.) Preseason unranked UCLA beats Marquette in OT in the finals. Let's see how they are ranked tomorrow in the coaches poll.

Interestingly UCLA was arguable the top team of the field when the tournament was created or being put together back in 2020/2021.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/22/22 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYREEEEEE Kellie Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 11/22/22 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

talk about a come down. They must be really disheartened so need a total refresh to get it back together again. Kellie has her work cut out for her just to get the mental aspect back.

I mean somebody was bound to lose all three games in a setup like this, but nobody would have thought it would be Tenn.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/22/22 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
talk about a come down. They must be really disheartened so need a total refresh to get it back together again. Kellie has her work cut out for her just to get the mental aspect back.

I mean somebody was bound to lose all three games in a setup like this, but nobody would have thought it would be Tenn.

They didn't lose all 3 games. They beat Rutgers and the lost to UCLA and Gonzaga(in the 3rd place game).

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/22/22 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks for the correction. I forgot about Rutgers.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/22/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
thanks for the correction. I forgot about Rutgers.

LOL! It's easy to forget about Rutgers these days.

As much as I hated Rutgers in the late 90's-00's, I feel bad for their fans. They had a great and loyal fanbase. CViv overstaying her welcome by ten years and their move to the Big Ten was disastrous for that program.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: