RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022-2023 Pac-12 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/15/22 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Oregon State is perplexing. They lost A LOT of experience and bring in a lot of freshmen and some transfers. I'm really curious how this team will turn out.

It also makes me wonder what's going on with all the transfers. He had some solid players in Jones, Brown, Corosdale and even Kampschroeder leaving -- and losing Sasha Goforth the year before. What is going on in Corvallis?

The Beavs also lost their beloved AC Katie Faulkner when she went to Washington to become our Recruiting Coordinator. Very Happy Faulkner coached the posts, which is maybe part of the reason Jones, Brown, and Corosdale all transferred out. All three also arguably plateaued at Oregon State, so maybe they just wanted to spice things up for themselves? Just speculating here. Goforth transferred closer to home, Arkansas, though she has stepped away from basketball for the time being to address both a stomach condition and an anxiety disorder. Hopefully she recovers as well as she can, as soon as she can. Kampschroeder, who's from Illinois, transferred to Michigan so perhaps she was missing her own home area as well.

The real concern is that their former Top-10 recruit, freshman Timea Gardiner is out indefinitely, without much explanation. She's a difference-maker, plain & simple. The Beavs' ceiling is markedly lower without her. Bendu Yeaney is also out – she's had a hard past several months dealing with the sudden death of her brother – but she at least will supposedly return at some point this month.

Seasons change. Not everything is sunshine & roses all the time. Assuming everyone on the roster returns and stays healthy, this program can absolutely get back to their high-level standards. If we start to see even this talented group of young players they've brought in the past one or two years disperse though, that's when Beavs fans should truly be concerned. But, we're just not there yet.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/15/22 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Corvallis is not the god forsaken land that is WSU but it is a pretty unique environment amongst all the P12 teams. I can imagine some kids having a hard time adapting to it. Lots of respect for Rueck for what he's done. Agree it may be a bit of a down year, but hopefully not a real zero.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/16/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
Oregon State is perplexing. They lost A LOT of experience and bring in a lot of freshmen and some transfers. I'm really curious how this team will turn out.

It also makes me wonder what's going on with all the transfers. He had some solid players in Jones, Brown, Corosdale and even Kampschroeder leaving -- and losing Sasha Goforth the year before. What is going on in Corvallis?

The Beavs also lost their beloved AC Katie Faulkner when she went to Washington to become our Recruiting Coordinator. Very Happy Faulkner coached the posts, which is maybe part of the reason Jones, Brown, and Corosdale all transferred out. All three also arguably plateaued at Oregon State, so maybe they just wanted to spice things up for themselves? Just speculating here. Goforth transferred closer to home, Arkansas, though she has stepped away from basketball for the time being to address both a stomach condition and an anxiety disorder. Hopefully she recovers as well as she can, as soon as she can. Kampschroeder, who's from Illinois, transferred to Michigan so perhaps she was missing her own home area as well.

The real concern is that their former Top-10 recruit, freshman Timea Gardiner is out indefinitely, without much explanation. She's a difference-maker, plain & simple. The Beavs' ceiling is markedly lower without her. Bendu Yeaney is also out – she's had a hard past several months dealing with the sudden death of her brother – but she at least will supposedly return at some point this month.

Seasons change. Not everything is sunshine & roses all the time. Assuming everyone on the roster returns and stays healthy, this program can absolutely get back to their high-level standards. If we start to see even this talented group of young players they've brought in the past one or two years disperse though, that's when Beavs fans should truly be concerned. But, we're just not there yet.

Based off the current roster and the players they seem to be recruiting I can see Oregon State reverting back to the offense of style that helped them gain national prominence with the likes of Jaime Wisner and Sydney Wiese and company.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/17/22 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goforth is not just stepping back, but appears to be done with basketball. Her condidtion caused her constant pain and it finally just became too much or her to deal with. That is also a major reason she transfered to Arkansas.

PostPosted: 11/18/22 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington and OrSU struggled to beat....UC Irvine and Eastern Washington. yikes.
That looks like it will be a long season for them, unless they can miraculously get their acts in order.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/18/22 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, Oregon State’s missing a couple players they expected to lean on. The rest of the team just needs to hold down the fort until they return.

…No one should be too surprised it took two overtimes for my Huskies to beat one of the less discernible UC schools at home. (That inexplicable non-conf home loss is coming, I just know it.) Though we lost this particular game really due to being 13-26 FT – you make your free throws and it possibly becomes a double-digit win instead. Disgusting. Confused

Meanwhile, Utah crushed Oklahoma the other night at home, 124-78. Maybe Tara VanDerveer really did have it right by picking them to finish 2nd. Shocked

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/19/22 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Washington and OrSU struggled to beat....UC Irvine and Eastern Washington. yikes.
That looks like it will be a long season for them, unless they can miraculously get their acts in order.

And WSU lost to a BYU team that lost to Montana State by 9 and Colorado State by 20. That is a huge blow for their resume.

PostPosted: 11/20/22 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah
2021-22 Record: 21-12 overall, 11-4
2021-22 Postseason: 2nd round NCAA Tourney
Coach: Lynne Roberts
Coach Record: 116-99 Pac-12, 333-240 Overall

DEPARTED PLAYERS
Bryna Maxwell, 10.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg 
Andrea Torres, 5.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg
Dru Gylten, 4.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg
Maka Jackson, 2.8 ppg, 1.1 rpg
Kemery Martin, 2.8 ppg, 1.3 rpg

RETURNING PLAYERS
Jenna Johnson, Sophomore Forward, 12.0 ppg, 4.1 rpg

Ines Vieira, Sophomore Guard, 4.3 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.6 apg
Gianna Kneepkens, Sophomore Guard, 11.8 ppg, 4.4 rpg
Kennady McQueen, Sophomore Guard, 9.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg
Dasia Young, Junior Forward, 7.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.6 apg
Peyton McFarland, Junior Forward, 6.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg,
Kelsey Rees, Sophomore Forward, 4.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.7 apg
Isabel Palmer, Junior Guard, 4.4 ppg, 1.4 rpg

NEW PLAYERS
Lani White, Freshman Guard
Naya Ojukwu, Freshman Forward
Nene Sow, Sophomore Center
Teya Sidberry, Freshman Forward
Alissa Pili, Junior Forward

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/20/22 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we knew Utah would be good after Lynne Roberts found a formula to get to the NCAA tourney last year. But I don't know if anyone was expecting the 46 point smacking of then #16 Oklahoma.

Clearly Pili has already made a huge impact leading the team in scoring with 18 ppg. But five players are averaging double-figure scoring.

Utah clearly has a solid core with Johnson, McQueen, Young and Kneepkens returning among others. I think they can challenge for a spot in the top-four in the conference. And they have an edge over other teams that have multiple transfers (ahem, Arizona).

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/20/22 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Utah would suffer more from the loss of Gylton and Maxwell, but yeah, they're looking pretty good.

Meanwhile Cal eeks out a win at St Mary's and ASU squeaks out a win in OT at New Mexico. I mean, a win is a win, but those didn't look pretty.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/20/22 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

don't you worry, myrtle – the losses by the true bottom-feeders of the conference will be coming Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/21/22 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
don't you worry, myrtle – the losses by the true bottom-feeders of the conference will be coming Laughing

I'm happy they're at least managing to win these games they 'should' be winning.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/21/22 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Super relieved UW actually won all four of our opening homestretch of 'gimme' games, since we almost didn’t. Methinks the next game will be a loss, in Vegas against Fordham – much to my chagrin but maybe to Queenie’s delight as I believe they’re one of her teams.

Back to Utah: I don’t think they’re graduating anyone after this season, so they’ll be good for a minute. I don’t like 'em one bit, but, I can respect how Lynne Roberts has built up the program after so many years of trying. The only player who might be leaving after this season is Pili if she remains good & healthy and turns pro thereafter. (Although unless she can start shooting 3s like Danielle Adams, I don’t see her game translating to the W.)

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/21/22 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Super relieved UW actually won all four of our opening homestretch of 'gimme' games, since we almost didn’t. Methinks the next game will be a loss, in Vegas against Fordham – much to my chagrin but maybe to Queenie’s delight as I believe they’re one of her teams.

While I wish no ill to Fordham’s players, Fordham has been dropped from the rotation due to the situation with Coach Gaitley; either the administration took two mostly uncorroborated stories from over a decade ago as an excuse to fire a coach for political reasons on the last day of... either the AD or the university president’s tenure... or they sat on an abusive coach for a decade because she was winning games. Neither of these is a good look.

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/25/22 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

While I wish no ill to Fordham’s players, Fordham has been dropped from the rotation due to the situation with Coach Gaitley; either the administration took two mostly uncorroborated stories from over a decade ago as an excuse to fire a coach for political reasons on the last day of... either the AD or the university president’s tenure... or they sat on an abusive coach for a decade because she was winning games. Neither of these is a good look.

Oh that’s right, I feel like I vaguely heard about that whole incident at the time.

Well anywho, I’m super glad and relieved we survived Fordham’s dangerous Dingle & DeWolfe duo today. Those two scored 46 of the Rams' 62 pts and were ‘bombs away’ from 3, but UW won. We’re 5-0! And so is ASU, which is surprising even if their first five games to start out with was considered soft. (Idk myself – though I’d definitely call UW’s entire non-conf slate soft lol.) ASU’s about to get a real test tomorrow though facing off against Notre Dame.

Meanwhile, on the list of Pac programs I truly detest: Colorado got crushed by Tennessee, which is usually honorable but mayyyyybe not this year if Colorado is aiming high again this year. Happy to see Oregon’s first loss yesterday. Very Happy I’m still waiting for Utah to lose their first game – getting closer though, as Ole Miss was just two points short today. Soon…

📄Posted: 11/26/22 5:13 pm :::
———————————————————————————————————————
Stormeo wrote:
I’d definitely call UW’s entire non-conf slate soft lol

Anddddd I couldn’t even enjoy being 5-0 for one full day. 🙃 This update is so embarrassing, so it’s not even getting its own post. God I’m so sick of clarifying which Huskies just cuz some hoes around here might think I stan UConn (again), but anywho, my UW Huskies just lost to a Santa Clara team that sports out a former freshman of UW’s who transferred probably cuz she couldn’t crack the rotation (she’s now a starter for SCU lmao), Shyla Heal’s apparently talented teenage cousin, and a sister of fuckin' Payton-ass Pritchard just to add insult to injury. I’m packin' it in, folks. My season’s over. (At least the good vibes lasted 5 games – longer than in post-Plum years past!) I think we’ll be good eventually given our positive recruiting pattern, but it’ll be more of the same this season. So enjoy the rest of it for me! If your team is good (it probably is, cuz most of y’all do get or would probably get real quiet when your team is legitimately lousy), don’t you dare take it for granted! 🤡

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/01/22 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anybody know what happened to OrSU's Gardiner, who was supposed to be a super Frosh. Without her they have only two forwards on their roster. Is she out for the year or?

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/14/22 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I know I should've done these sooner, but they are time consuming. I added current leaders.

Arizona
2021-22 Record: 21-8, 10-6 Conference
2021-22 Postseason: 1-1 NCAA Tourney (Lost to UNC - 2nd Rd)
Current Record: 7-1
Coach: Adia Barnes
Coach Record: 117-75

Current Leaders
Pellington, 14.3 jpg
Martinez, 9.0 rpg
Pueyo, 3.0 apg

DEPARTED PLAYERS
Bendu Yeaney, 6.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.1 apg
Koi Love, 4.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg
Copeland Ariyah, 4.2 ppg, 3.9 rpg
Aaronette Vonleh, 4.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg
Gisela Sanchez, 2.9 ppg, 1.4 rpg
Taylor Chavez, 2.4 ppg
Anna Gret Asi, 1.9 ppg
Semaj Smith, 1.7 ppg, 0.9 rpg
Derin Erdogan, 1.1 ppg

RETURNING PLAYERS
Cate Reese, Fifth Year Forward, 14.3 ppg, 6.0 rpg
Shaina Pellington, Fifth Year Guard, 11.3 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.3 apg
Sam Thomas, 8.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.1 apg
Lauren Ware, Junior Forward, 5.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg (I)
Conner Madison, Sophomore Guard, 5.1 ppg
Helena Pueyo, 3.4 ppg, Senior Guard, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg

NEW PLAYERS
Lemyah Hilton, Freshman Guard
Esmery Martinez, Senior Forward - West Virginia
Kailyn Gilbert, Freshman Guard
Paris Clark, Freshman Guard
Lauren Fields, Senior Guard - Oklahoma
Jade Loville, Fifth Year Guard/Forward - Arizona State
Maya Nnaji, Freshman Forward

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/14/22 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Arizona's lost to Kansas kind of follows the trend of teams with multiple transfers having issues in gelling. Not sure if anyone was able to catch that game, but Kansas did whatever they wanted.

Of all the freshmen, Nnaji looks really impressive. And she'll be needed with Ware out for the year.

I've seen debates regarding putting Pueyo as the PG instead of Pellington. I believe Pueyo is still coming off the bench, but she was last year's assist leader as well as the current leader.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/14/22 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pueyo should absolutely be starting over Fields if nothing else. More size, more familiarity with the system, and better efficiency historically but especially this season (Pueyo’s at 61% FG, Fields is at 26% FG – yikes). And Pueyo has been in Arizona’s rotation since she was a freshman, so it’s surprising Adia Barnes doesn’t give her the nod here in her senior season.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/14/22 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah starters just making Colorado look second rate. Second team not so much. If either of Maxwell or Gylton had stayed, this team would truly be a top team. As it is, they look really good

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/14/22 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Utah starters just making Colorado look second rate. Second team not so much. If either of Maxwell or Gylten had stayed, this team would truly be a top team. As it is, they look really good

Yeah, Tara VanDerveer might've been onto something (and not 'on something' lol) when she essentially picked Utah to be the conference's next-best team in the preseason. Even I thought it was unusual at the time; idk why I foolishly doubted her there. She as one of the GOATs of college b-ball let alone someone who actually has to gameplan for these conference opponents would know better than some casual like me. Embarassed Laughing

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 01/12/23 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Athletic posted an article which was unlocked focusing on who's best after Stanford. There's also coverage on some other WBB topics around the country.

https://theathletic.com/4082052/2023/01/12/stanford-womens-basketball-pac-12/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/12/23 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
The Athletic posted an article which was unlocked focusing on who's best after Stanford. There's also coverage on some other WBB topics around the country.

Still can't read it, so it's not unlocked. Neutral

PostPosted: 01/12/23 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

Still can't read it, so it's not unlocked. Neutral

Strange. I just clicked on it again and it's open for me.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/12/23 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm getting a demand to subscribe when I click that too.

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: