RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kim Mulkey Refuses to Comment on Griner's Detainment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 09/26/22 10:26 pm    ::: Kim Mulkey Refuses to Comment on Griner's Detainment Reply Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kim-mulkey-refuses-to-make-any-comment-about-brittney-griner-who-won-2012-national-title-for-her-at-baylor-214137188.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/27/22 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My opinions on Kim are best kept to myself. However, this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2022/09/26/baylors-nicki-collen-speaks-brittney-griner-kim-mulkey/10436970002/

PostPosted: 09/27/22 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Kim has finally learned when to keep her mouth shut for once.

If she has nothing good to say, just don't say it. Sounds like a, surprisingly, smart response from Kim. If she had said something, people would say it was fake and she was just saying it to make herself look good and that she really didn't mean it.

She was put in a no-win situation. I thought that she handled it as best as she could.

I really don't know what the reporter expected/wanted her to say. It was a "gotcha" question and I'm no bigger fan of them than I am of Kim.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/27/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Sounds like Kim has finally learned when to keep her mouth shut for once.

If she has nothing good to say, just don't say it. Sounds like a, surprisingly, smart response from Kim. If she had said something, people would say it was fake and she was just saying it to make herself look good and that she really didn't mean it.

She was put in a no-win situation. I thought that she handled it as best as she could.

I really don't know what the reporter expected/wanted her to say. It was a "gotcha" question and I'm no bigger fan of them than I am of Kim.

Apparently the same reporter asked her the same question at a previous event and she refused to discuss it then as well. Or maybe she wanted the focus of discussion to remain on the LSU basketball team. IMHO, no one should be badgered with personal questions at their place of work, particularly when in this day and age, no matter what you say, somebody is going to get offended.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/27/22 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was not the first and certainly will not be the last time someone is asked a personal question during a press conference. Nicki Collen can give Maga Mulkey lessons.

As former and current players are weighing in online, I can only hope this gives pause for black players to serious evaluate places where they will be truly valued and not discarded once they no longer serve a purpose for some of these coaches.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/27/22 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the thing is, she could easily have given a one sentence (or two)answer and moved on: ' I understand the US govt is working on her release. Hopefully it works out for the best for Brittney.' how hard is that? I don't think anyone would dump on her for that response and it wouldn't be headline news.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/27/22 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
it wouldn't be headline news.

She wants to be in the headlines. There's no such thing as bad publicity and all like that.

PostPosted: 09/27/22 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
the thing is, she could easily have given a one sentence (or two)answer and moved on: ' I understand the US govt is working on her release. Hopefully it works out for the best for Brittney.' how hard is that? I don't think anyone would dump on her for that response and it wouldn't be headline news.

That was exactly my thought: simple and sympathetic. How hard could that be? I mean....what COULD she say at this point that might not be well-received?

PostPosted: 09/27/22 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex players comment on Mulkey's silence.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2022/09/27/ex-baylor-players-respond-kim-mulkey-wont-comment-brittney-griner/10443483002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 09/27/22 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was definitely a "gotcha" question. Apparently Kim had said something in an earlier podcast to the effect of "praying for Brittney's safe return".

I wonder sometimes, though, why she seems so incapable of getting out of her own way. Just a simple "I've said before" rather than being caustic would make a better sound byte.

Maybe she really does live by "all press is good press"

pilight

PostPosted: 09/27/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure how this softest of softball questions can be construed as a "gotcha" question.

PostPosted: 09/27/22 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/MAVoepel/status/1574585072845750272

Kim had formerly expressed support for a former player she has no real relationship with, then stated she was going to continue to hope for her return without public statements. We can talk all we want about standing with Griner or pressuring the US Government, but the brutal truth of the matter is you could scream all day from the mountaintops, and it still wouldn't affect or pressure Russia. If she doesn't want to speak further on it, she should not be forced to. However, I think the situation has now reached a point to where Kim is likely hurting the program by not addressing the issue again. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. My guess is LSU gives her a nudge to speak on the subject again.

PostPosted: 09/27/22 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With about two minutes of thought, I came up with “It’s a terrible situation to be in and I’m praying for her physical and spiritual well-being.” When I put a whole ‘nother twenty minutes or so into it, I added something along the lines of “While I hope that she is returned safely, anything else is out of my hands. My focus right now is on the upcoming season and the current group of young ladies I’m privileged to work with.”

And while, okay, I’ll admit to being somewhat better than average at putting words together good, I’m also not a paid PR professional who’s had months and months to workshop a statement that both demonstrates the concept of empathy and that Mulkey can recite believably. This looks as bad for LSU as it does for Mulkey, because either they don’t recognize that it makes her look like the hardest-hearted bitch on the planet, they don’t think it does, or they don’t care if it does, and that’s a pretty glaring lapse for an athletic department with the resources of LSU.

And as FrozenLVFan alluded to (as did okstateguy while I was writing this) and M.A. Voepel pointed out, she had a statement she could point back to! And it didn’t completely suck! It actually crept above the bare minimum of “thoughts and prayers” that was all anyone was realistically expecting of her! No one, or at least no one serious, was expecting her to be on the Free BG train with the fervency of Staley or Stewart! No one, or at least no one serious, was expecting her to delve into the nuances of foreign policy! All we asked for was the appearance of empathy towards a person she spent four years coaching and at least nominally mentoring, and who played no small part in her own success!

I just... it’s taking her more effort to look like a shitty human being than it would to pretend to care.

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/27/22 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm not sure how this softest of softball questions can be construed as a "gotcha" question.

those who honestly believe that it was a "gotcha" question might also be the type to automatically mistrust American media in general, as opposed to having a wary eye and taking things on a case-by-case basis

not that the media in women's (college) basketball should necessarily be equated to or measured against any other media groups in the first place

either way, it's sad

PRballer

PostPosted: 09/28/22 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hannah Gusters - the 6’5 kid who followed MAGA Mulkey to Baton Rouge from Waco - is no longer on the roster. Hmmm.

PRballer

PostPosted: 09/28/22 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(Double post)

icey23

PostPosted: 09/28/22 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Hannah Gusters - the 6’5 kid who followed MAGA Mulkey to Baton Rouge from Waco - is no longer on the roster. Hmmm.

She got suspended a couple weeks ago this her third suspension. I guess she decided to leave. She was lazy anyways

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: