RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Best Never

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/22 6:11 pm    ::: The Best Never Reply Reply with quote

Who are the best current players who haven't won a championship?

Numbers

PostPosted: 09/20/22 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you think McCoughtry tries to give it one more year?

Also, to save us all some time: *insert eighty-seven posts talking shit about Tina Charles, sixty-five posts politely or factually refuting those posts, and twenty-two posts talking shit about the posts talking shit about Charles* There, it’s done, you don’t have to say it no matter how hard you’re thinking it.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/22 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Do you think McCoughtry tries to give it one more year?

I do. She thinks she's still got it.

PostPosted: 09/20/22 11:42 pm    ::: Re: The Best Never Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Numbers

I'd put McCoughtry, Jonquel Jones, Diggins-Smith and Alyssa Thomas at the top along with Charles, though Tina (any Diggins-Smith to a degree) is a more complex case.

Angel's played in 4 Finals but has gone 0-12 in games despite some unbelievably good performances. I have her at #1. Consistent top performer and was able to drag her Dream to several finals despite not having very good teams.

Jonquel Jones/Alyssa Thomas came 1 quarter from a title in 2019 and came close again this year. Jones could be at Breanna Stewart's level of talent IMO but plays too passively. She's had many playoff games where she's comfortable taking 6-7 shots and not doing much else offensively. Alyssa Thomas on the other hand is a freaking warrior and it's remarkable how good she is with her 1 hand shotput form and having zero range. Considering her consistent excellence in the playoffs I'd put her at #2 among active players, just behind Angel.

After these 3 I have Tina Charles who has had 2 solid playoff runs in her 12 years (I don't consider this year a solid playoff run), though she's never reached a finals. Her overall stats and awards easily put her at the top of this list but the inability to reach a finals and missing the playoffs so frequently gives her the biggest X of anyone on here. As Queenie posted you can make an argument for her at #1 or to not have her high on this list at all. Not trying to flame but I have her at 4 based on the combinations of pros and cons regarding Tina.

Diggins-Smith I have at 5, she's only gotten to the semis one time in 8 years and her playoff numbers aren't very good despite her putting together many excellent regular seasons. Phoenix has underwhelmed in the 3 years she's been there, and she never was able to elevate Dallas to the next level. I have her at the bottom of these 5.

From this list other names of up and comers to keep and eye on:

Sabrina Ionescu-I think she wins a title in the next few years. Just has a champion aura about her and she's finding her groove in the league. If NY lands Stewart, look out.

Arike Ogunbowale-big time scorer, team seems stagnant in their inability to become higher than a mid-tier team with her averaging 20+ per game. Players don't seem to thrive playing with her which leads me to think she'll need to drastically change her style of play if she's going to win a title in the pros.

Kelsey Mitchell-one of the more underrated players in the league, Mitchell is a brilliant scorer but is stuck in Indiana. Would love to see her paired with a superstar but I don't see her getting to a finals unless Indy wins the Boston sweepstakes and picks up another big name (one of Clark, Bueckers, Brink, or Reese) in 2024.

Napheesa Collier-great player, uber smooth, needs better teammates but seems like she can fit in great on a championship caliber team as a 2nd or 3rd option.

Rhyne Howard-similar to Arike, great scorer but volume shooter. I am not convinced she can be the go to player on a winning team.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 09/21/22 10:55 am    ::: Re: The Best Never Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Numbers

3 names stand out consistently at the top: Angel, Tina and Skylar. Those would be my top 3 choices and probably in that order.

What Angel did with those Dream teams is nothing short of amazing. I truly hope we have not seen the last of her. She absolutely deserves to go out with a ring. I caught a recent video of her on “Certified Unscripted” and she discussed how she was doing pretty well in the recent USA basketball tryouts until her knee flared up forcing her out of the running.

I can’t recall another player of Tina’s caliber (former MVP and perennial All-star, multiple All WNBA honors) that has been through as many teams as she has and the manner in which she left said teams leaves a lot to be desired.

I wouldn’t necessarily fault Skylar for the Merc’s woes.

First season-Griner left the wubble early
Second season-The team had an inconsistent reg season, but made it to the finals, however Kia Nurse’s injury severely weakened their already anemic roster and they were no match for the Sky.
Third season-Griner’s current detainment, kerfuffle with DT, The 🤡 show, etc.

Despite all of this, Diggins managed to be named All WNBA every single year she’s been with Phoenix.

Jonquel and AT need a couple more seasons before I can put them with the top group.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/21/22 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about an expansion team in 23
PX can leave Diggins-Smith unprotected
Charles can sign as a free agent
McCoutry out of retirement
Sign B . Jones and Tiff Hayes
That would be a pretty formidable starting five

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: