Total Votes : 11

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/09/22 4:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Just want to say this-

Kahleah Copper is every bit(and then some)what the fans and other players think Sophie Cunningham is on the court, but gets farrrrrrrr less hate for it.

You can take the girl out of Rutgers, but ya can't take the Rutgers outta the girl....

And CP3 stomped off the court before the buzzer sounded, but you know..only Phoenix has overly physical players and poor sports Rolling Eyes Laughing

But of course! Wait, Parker did that? Yikes. That's not great, but I sort of get it. Emotions are so high and if she's retiring at the end of the season, that's not the way she'd want to lose her last game. Do we think she retires?

I know you have a disdain for Parker, so I cannot tell if your question is sincere or not? Laughing But, I think she should hang it up. There's really nothing left to prove. Also, with an expanded season in 2023, her legs will run out of gas again. I can't see her just hanging on load managing all season, or something like that. She's made millions off the court. She can step away, and be satisfied with her career.

About the walk off. She walked off in LA too after a zero point performance, even though the team won. I didn't like it then, and I didn't like it tonight. The team had a solid season, and came up short of their ultimate goal. I know emotions were running high, especially if this was her last time in uniform, but still, huddle up with the squad for the last time.

Correct, I do not like Parker at all, but I certainly respect her game and greatness, so I was being very sincere. She's an all time great and the W losing her too after this season, would be a huge blow. The younger generation of players just don't have the star power of the older crew and while they need to hang 'em up, it's a detriment to the league.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/09/22 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do they really not have the star power, or have they not been allowed to develop the star power because the older players won’t go away?

(now with spelling variations)
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 09/09/22 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Do they really not have the star power, or have they not been allowed to develop the star power because the older players won’t go away?

That part.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/09/22 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Well, I'd count Wilson as a younger player and she certainly has star power. Part of it is her game, the other part, is her personality. She oozes it and has a fun one. But the majority of them, don't seem to have the personality of the older crew, IMO. Like, I LOVE Napheesa Collier and she certainly is a star, but she's not Sue, Diana, Candace, or Wilson on the personality front.

As for the "older players won't go away" statement-I get that, but it's not their jobs to step away for anyone but themselves.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 09/09/22 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stomping off the court like a tantrum throwing t-rex. Classy as always, princess.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/09/22 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Generally, if you have Star power, you don’t get overshadowed by the 35+ crowd.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

To quote Spark4Life -

"That part."

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/09/22 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Star power" is first and foremost a media construct.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well...that was hard.

#13 (I'm not even going to call her name) needs to sit down somewhere. It's mind-boggling how bad she is! I think those early bad calls got into the players' heads. Then there were more. I rewound to watch some during the game - just a crime...

Ultimately, it was a lack of good basketball IQ (they just insisted on taking so many bad outside shots!), missed layups, lack of aggression on the boards (why do they just stand there and watch the ball not going in the basket?) and other dumb stuff that led to us losing the lead. It's like we gave up at the end.

Yeah, we have some old bones on the team, but I'm not going to blame that. We just lost.

Certain Sun players are very aggressive - I'll just call it dirty. And they have more "I didn't foul" whiners than we do (Candace is indeed a queen of that!).

There's so much up in the air about next year. Y'all can do that speculation. I'll just be glad for the good stuff and hope the disappointment and pain of the sad ending subside soon.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Well...that was hard.

I'll just be glad for the good stuff and hope the disappointment and pain of the sad ending subside soon.

That was painful. A lead blown by a 5 point fourth quarter is a tough way to lose. In some ways worse than a buzzer beater. I don't even want to watch the finals. At this point don't even feel like watching in 2023.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/09/22 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

To quote Spark4Life -
"That part."

I see the *star* factor as an ever-evolving thing.

Undoubtedly, Candace, Leslie, Sheryl, DT, Brit, etc.....these gals were crowned with the Tiaras of Stardom in college already, and made good on their status as stars over the years. I think those in this category have earned their righteous Star category through their productive longevity - love 'em or not. And the stars like Chelsea and Sloot, EDD and Nneka - they've earned their stripes via experience and productivity, if not for as long a time.

Who are the current star-potential kids now? Arike? Kahlea? Sabrina? Kelsey? Shakira? Rhynne? Talent's there. How will the media curry them along? Health? Will Time treat them as well as the past stars?

Last edited by Howee on 09/09/22 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 09/09/22 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Stomping off the court like a tantrum throwing t-rex. Classy as always, princess.

Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 09/09/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:

She's taking the heat off of her teammates Wink

PostPosted: 09/09/22 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

To quote Spark4Life -
"That part."

Undoubtedly, Candace, Leslie, Sheryl, DT, Brit, etc.....these gals were crowned with the Tiaras of Stardom in college already, and made good on their status as stars over the years. I think those in this category have earned their righteous Star category through their productive longevity - love 'em or not. And the stars like Chelsea and Sloot, EDD and Nneka - they've earned their stripes via experience and productivity, if not for as long a time.

Who are the current star-potential kids now? Arike? Kahlea? Sabrina? Kelsey? Shakira? Rhynne? Talent's there. How will the media curry them along? Health? Will Time treat them as well as the past stars?

I think the WNBA missed an opportunity with this year's draft as the top 3 were head and shoulders above everyone else. Shakira has an infectious personality and game to go with it! I have no doubt they'll make up for it next year - we'll see who stands out this season. Aliyah Boston and Haley Jones have shown for three years they are the best of the bunch, but there's a season to be played.

Chelsea has certainly secured herself a spot as a star with her stellar performances to finish the season and especially in the playoffs so far. And she has a great, positive personality. She has worked so hard to improve her strength and will not let the physical hits of the Sun to take away her game or her positive attitude.

I am purposely ignoring the CT Husky fans piling on the CP3 hate. Walking off the floor after losing the semifinals - and chance to repeat as Champions - does not come anywhere close to quitting on your team in the middle of the season. Not in the same ballpark. I am personally disappointed in Candace, but also recognize she's a great player who had to overcome several devastating injuries. Before her legs left her, she was playing at the top of her game in the playoffs and helped get her team further than plenty of other stars did. And she certainly didn't miss a whole season to get her wisdom teeth removed (and "help" her team get a top pick in one of the best drafts of all time).

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/09/22 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally I could understand the walking off the court and not wanting anybody to interview her in that moment. What bothered me more was that totally unnecessary foul on Bonner with 3 seconds to go. To me that truly lacked class and if it had caused an injury would really have been stupidity personified.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/09/22 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

About the walk off. She walked off in LA too after a zero point performance, even though the team won. I didn't like it then, and I didn't like it tonight. The team had a solid season, and came up short of their ultimate goal. I know emotions were running high, especially if this was her last time in uniform, but still, huddle up with the squad for the last time.

I get walking off the court doesn't leave the best optics, but is there reason to believe she left the locker room before the team got here or didn't talk to them or huddle with them in the locker room? Regardless of the "huddle" the players did on the court after the game I can't imagine they didn't speak/do something in the locker room after the game and do a huddle in there.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/09/22 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Personally I could understand the walking off the court and not wanting anybody to interview her in that moment. What bothered me more was that totally unnecessary foul on Bonner with 3 seconds to go. To me that truly lacked class and if it had caused an injury would really have been stupidity personified.

That foul was objectively poor sportswomanship by Parker, but I personally loved it because we as viewers were treated with one of Bonner's trademark primordial screams. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:

There was no stomping or tantums. Stop. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
"Star power" is first and foremost a media construct.

If I heard "the kid from Philly", or "North Philly" one ...more...time.

Laughing

PostPosted: 09/10/22 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

To quote Spark4Life -
"That part."

I think the WNBA missed an opportunity with this year's draft as the top 3 were head and shoulders above everyone else. Shakira has an infectious personality and game to go with it! I have no doubt they'll make up for it next year - we'll see who stands out this season. Aliyah Boston and Haley Jones have shown for three years they are the best of the bunch, but there's a season to be played.

Chelsea has certainly secured herself a spot as a star with her stellar performances to finish the season and especially in the playoffs so far. And she has a great, positive personality. She has worked so hard to improve her strength and will not let the physical hits of the Sun to take away her game or her positive attitude.

I am purposely ignoring the CT Husky fans piling on the CP3 hate. Walking off the floor after losing the semifinals - and chance to repeat as Champions - does not come anywhere close to quitting on your team in the middle of the season. Not in the same ballpark. I am personally disappointed in Candace, but also recognize she's a great player who had to overcome several devastating injuries. Before her legs left her, she was playing at the top of her game in the playoffs and helped get her team further than plenty of other stars did. And she certainly didn't miss a whole season to get her wisdom teeth removed (and "help" her team get a top pick in one of the best drafts of all time).

I'm a Lady Vol fan. And I still can't stand her. I'm sick of all the Parker fans giving her passes all the time. Other players past and present get called out, but not Princess.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 09/10/22 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD was crowned early on - one of the "Three to See" and I believe had the best rookie season of them all. Outside of her illness and injuries, she did well for the Sky. Among the rumors around her departure (I wasn't tracking details much back then - probably how I found RebKell's) was that she sought to get Pokey fired but still left after it happened.

She wasn't particularly warm and fuzzy, but I had a nice brief encounter with her. At an STH event, there was the small one-person portable basketball arcade. They were being strict about how many throws the kids could make. My partner's (RIP) niece was close but missed. EDD was there and specifically encouraged her to try more times than the "limit". She still missed, but EDD was nice about the whole thing. Still, I'm salty about her departure - always felt like there was a heavy veneer of manipulation. I was more forgiving of Fowles, but that was a hard one too.

The team was blatant about its determination that KLS would be the next Golden Child. Hers was one of the only non-custom jerseys you could order when that season started, IIRC!

PostPosted: 09/10/22 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
EDD was crowned early on - one of the "Three to See" and I believe had the best rookie season of them all. Outside of her illness and injuries, she did well for the Sky. Among the rumors around her departure (I wasn't tracking details much back then - probably how I found RebKell's) was that she sought to get Pokey fired but still left after it happened.

She wasn't particularly warm and fuzzy, but I had a nice brief encounter with her. At an STH event, there was the small one-person portable basketball arcade. They were being strict about how many throws the kids could make. My partner's (RIP) niece was close but missed. EDD was there and specifically encouraged her to try more times than the "limit". She still missed, but EDD was nice about the whole thing. Still, I'm salty about her departure - always felt like there was a heavy veneer of manipulation. I was more forgiving of Fowles, but that was a hard one too.

The team was blatant about its determination that KLS would be the next Golden Child. Hers was one of the only non-custom jerseys you could order when that season started, IIRC!

To be honest, Chicago was blowing it big time with draft picks and DC brought in one of the masters of the game. He has not blown any picks and has picked up a few gems later in the draft (Meeseman, Cloud). Chicago got KFC and Dolson, both of whom were crucial in the Championship run. And Mike T's trade down to get Shakira Austin plus what turned into a lotto pick next year was a master at work. Rhyne Howard would not have had the season she did with the Mystics and the Mystics would not have had the season they did without the height and energy of Shakira Austin. Plus the lotto pick.

But seriously, that pick of Katie Lou Samuelson was a big disaster that was easy to see coming. Just because Geno does a master job of hiding his defense-challenged players does not make them good draft picks in the WNBA. And there were a bunch more before that one. It was the combination of getting CP3 plus getting quality from DC in the EDD trade that got the Sky over the top. Well, and finding a way to keep the Vanderquigs a little longer.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 09/10/22 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The guy who made Tayler Hill a lottery pick? The guy who took Ally Mallott over Betnijah Laney (to say nothing of the post players)? They guy who took Shatori Walker-Kimbrough over Brittney Sykes and Brionna Jones? The guy who took Kiara Leslie over Brianna Turner, Ezi Magbegor, Sophie Cunningham, Han Xu, Natisha Hiedeman, and Marina Mabrey?

Are you sure he's NEVER blown a pick?

He's done more good than bad and following Angela Taylor would make anyone look better, but let's not overstate things.

PostPosted: 09/10/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The guy who made Tayler Hill a lottery pick? The guy who took Ally Mallott over Betnijah Laney (to say nothing of the post players)? They guy who took Shatori Walker-Kimbrough over Brittney Sykes and Brionna Jones? The guy who took Kiara Leslie over Brianna Turner, Ezi Magbegor, Sophie Cunningham, Han Xu, Natisha Hiedeman, and Marina Mabrey?

Are you sure he's NEVER blown a pick?

He's done more good than bad and following Angela Taylor would make anyone look better, but let's not overstate things.

Thibault gets credit for his picks that he over reach in the draft but not blowback for his flop over reaches. The Lenny Wilkins-Doc Rivers hybrid of the WNBA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: